View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:44

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Blast From The Past--A Post-FRS Starship 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
Well, I didn't make my goal of finishing the whole project by year's end, but I did manage to complete the top view before midnight rolled around:

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/1272/planview.jpg

I made a few stylistic decisions based on the layout of the Enterprise-C model. Since it didn't have a gangway hatch on the saucer rim or sensor mounts around its deflector dish, I left those off of Pellucidar. The E did have a couple of circular docking ports on her dorsal (in a somewhat awkward spot, IMO), but I couldn't find a location for them on the frigate that I liked (the sides of the saucer and extended hull are very sharply angled), so I didn't install them. Lastly, I elected not to give Pellucidar a nav deflector at the bow. Reliant didn't have one, after all, and, given that Pellucidar has about a zillion deflector lines on her hull, I figure she can get away with not having a deflector mount on her nose.

With a little luck, I should have the other views completed by the end of the weekend. This has been a fun exercise, but don't think I'll be coming back to this era after I'm done. The 24th Century ships are just way too detail heavy. Once the major hull shapes are set, the drawings turn into exercises in tedium.

01 Jan 2013 06:05
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Pretty Good...

01 Jan 2013 07:29
Commander
Commander

Very Nice !

just where would you put docking ports? a very perplexing conundrum.
(on the aft hull on either side of Shuttle Bays 1 & 2 ?)

I like the location of Shuttle Bay 3 (smartly forward of the Warp Power Transfer Conduits)

01 Jan 2013 14:15

Wow that is looking really nice. Love the aft bridge area and the impulse section.

Appreciate fully your comment about TNG ships being detail heavy.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

01 Jan 2013 16:40
Commander
Commander

Max Nex wrote:
Very Nice !

just where would you put docking ports? a very perplexing conundrum.
(on the aft hull on either side of Shuttle Bays 1 & 2 ?)

I like the location of Shuttle Bay 3 (smartly forward of the Warp Power Transfer Conduits)

Because it has the least severe slope of any of the sides, the stern face is the easiest place to put the docking ports, but, with the hangars right in front of you, why dock when you can land?

The doors for Shuttlebay 3 open on to the transfer corridor between the stern hangars, just forward of the cargo hold. The doors are sized to fit the cargo work bee variant, hauling 8 cargo pods. The power transfer conduits to the nacelles actually sit below the hangars, as do the shafts supplying antimatter to the torpedo modules. There's about 18 feet of clearance between the floor of the hangar deck and the bottom of the saucer rim, plenty of room to fit both sets of conduits.

Ahkyahnan wrote:
Wow that is looking really nice. Love the aft bridge area and the impulse section.

Appreciate fully your comment about TNG ships being detail heavy.

Mark

The impulse engine mount comes from Tobias Richter's model of Probert's Ambassador class concept. That was one advantage I got from delaying this project as long as I did. I hadn't come up with a satisfactory design for the impulse engine housing ten years ago, but in the interim those two gentlemen solved my problem for me (and I didn't even have to ask them :D ).

I've been giving some thought to the stats for the ship, with an FRS-style format in mind. (Definitely going to have to downsize the drawings to fit them on my blank page masters.) Size-wise, this is how she works out:

Overall Length: 394.283 meters
Overall Beam: 304.009 meters
Overall Draft: 88.382 meters

Based on the figures given for the E-C, I calculated Pellucidar's mass to be roughly 2.6 million metric tons (don't have the exact figures at hand), but I've been wondering if the larger mass figures for the Ambassador-era ships apply to the FRS world. In a similar light, I don't have a clue how fast she should be, not to mention which warp scale I should be using. Hell, at this point I'm not even sure how big her crew complement ought to be.

02 Jan 2013 08:16
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nice work. Great attention to detail. :D :D

02 Jan 2013 16:50
Commander
Commander

And she's done!

http://imageshack.us/a/img18/3528/keelview.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/4342/portview.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img835/6616/starboardview.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img35/9097/bowview.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/1613/sternview.jpg

04 Jan 2013 07:49

Nice! Will have to wait to comment further, but that Stern View is really interesting. Some neat angles.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

04 Jan 2013 12:07
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is a very cool take on the Miranda-Avenger form. Refresh my memory if you will- is this a Lost Era design? You say Ambassador-era at the beginning of the thread but it seems a little earlier.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

04 Jan 2013 14:04
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Awesome work. :D I really love you take on the Miranda/Ambassador Era starship. :D

05 Jan 2013 01:54
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next