View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:45

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Blast From The Past--A Post-FRS Starship 
Commander
Commander

Love the bridge detail in the drawings. You know something--it reminds me of a scaled up Balson...

17 Mar 2012 16:31
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
It's Night of the Living Thread time. :lol: I knew it had been quite a while since I worked on this ship, but I was a little surprised that it had been more than nine months since I added any images to it.

Anyway, after spending most of the year working on other things, I decided this weekend to set myself the goal of finishing Pellucidar by the end of the year, if I can. I've gotten the plan view mostly done:

http://imageshack.us/a/img839/9966/pell ... lanwip.jpg

The major structural things left to do are the impulse engines, the hangars and the torpedo pods. The impulse engine housing is going to be based on Tobias Richter's rendering of Andrew Probert's Ambassador. I just need to work out the proper size ratio for that; shouldn't be too hard. The hangars are going to be pretty simple, too. In keeping with the look of the tv Ambassador, I'm not going to put all that much in the way of greeblies on top of the landing bays.

The torps are going to take a bit more skull sweat. On my original pencil rough, I'd planned to put them directly on the upper hull plates. However, that was done using an inaccurate reference drawing. Working off of a better saucer image, I realized that the top of the extended hull was going to be narrower than I first thought. Fortunately, those revised source images showed me that I'd need to make the nacelle struts a lot bigger in order to clear the hull, so I'm going to mount them to the top of the struts instead.

I don't know if I'm going to keep the deflector verticals on the extended hull as they are now. They're based on how the deflector radials from the saucer center touch the edges of the top and bottom plates. If someone has a better suggestion, I'll be happy to use it.

18 Dec 2012 05:32
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well its a nice restart..

19 Dec 2012 11:17
Commander
Commander

I've been working on the impulse mount, and I should have that finished off enough tomorrow to complete the bow view. I'd like to get at least one of the views done before the world ends on Friday. :roll:

Seriously, I have had it up to my eyeballs with this crap. I don't watch much network tv; mostly I watch History, Discovery, that sort of stuff. Lately, though, it's been nearly nonstop Apocalypse horseshit. Ahh, for the good old days, when they used to call A&E "the Hitler Channel" for all the WWII shows.

Thank you for reading today's rant. We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum post. :lol:

20 Dec 2012 03:22
Commander
Commander

nice work on the new W.I.P.
I'm not so sure about the side angles, this area of the upper PH of "C" has an arch ;not a straight line.

20 Dec 2012 08:44
Commander
Commander

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about here. If you're talking about the extended hull section, all of its surfaces are flat panels (like Avenger). If you're talking about the forward slanting faces, their bases sit on top of what would be the 67.5 degree radials, so from above they wouldn't be curved any more than the deflector radials would. (The side view of those panels, though, is another matter,)

21 Dec 2012 04:36

Sorry for just now getting a chance to comment on this. Wow, this is really looking nice. The detailing gives a nice sense of scale, and I'll be anxious to see more views. I think they'll help further define the three-dimensionality of some of the more unique components.

I love the color scheme. Nice tones and they convey the look of that era very well.

I've seen some "frigatized" Ambassadors before, and I think this may be my favorite so far. It seems a more logical progression than some I've seen. More realistic too. Look forward to more.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

21 Dec 2012 12:55
Commander
Commander

Tonight we have the first look at the bow view. I've done two passes with possible styling on the slant faces. I'm not sure at this point which way I want to go with their look. The first version uses the same thin colored stripes as are on the saucer rim:

http://imageshack.us/a/img525/6769/bowviewwip1.jpg

The second option carries the color scheme of the main saucer up onto the faces; these panels would connect to the similar ones on the top of the extended hull:

http://imageshack.us/a/img9/8205/bowviewwip2.jpg

Either one of these options would entail a little more work to blend into the other views. With option 1, I'd have to decide whether to continue the colored bands along the three sides of the extended hull. To make option 2 complete, I'd need to reorient the panels and deflector horizontals on the extended hull top. Right now, they're oriented on the points where the circles on the saucer would intersect the top edge of the slant face. I'd have to change the references to the base line of the slant face (which is where they are on the WIP).

Both of these WIPs are missing some things, most notably the forward and aft phaser strips. I left the forward ones off because the lower strip partially blocks the registry number, and it's easier to add them after I do the perspective work and recoloring on the lettering. In the case of the aft phasers, I know in a general sense where they go, but I've yet to finalize the exact alignment.

I spent most of the evening working on the torpedo modules. If you take a look at the original pencil test I did of Pellucidar,

http://imageshack.us/a/img688/4936/pell ... 7test1.jpg

you'll see that the torpedo mount is kind of weird and wimpy (actually looks like it should be a hood ornament for the Jetsons' car, to be honest). I decided to go with a more robust module for the final version. The modules I came up with remind me of shoulder pads. Size-wise, they're roughly as broad as the widest point on the Avenger's torpedo pod. The "shoulder pads" sit on top of the wing assemblies that support the nacelles. These struts aren't that long front-to-back, so I figured I could use the extra volume of a broader torp bay to house the necessary launch machinery. As far as their detailing, I'd originally planned to have only one tube fore and aft in each module. In the bow view, this tube would be the outboard one. In place of the inboard tube I'd intended to substitute the exhaust vents for the stern tube (the arrangement would be flipped for the stern view). As I worked on them tonight, I thought, what the heck, keep the usual tandem tubes in both views. With eight torpedo tubes and a dozen phaser strips, this ship will pack a lot of firepower.

Since the rest of the ship has quite a color palette, I couldn't leave the torp launchers in their basic state. I went with various shades of gray for the launchers, but it makes it a little hard to see some of the details. For clarity's sake, this is what the torpedo "shoulder pads" look like sans color:

http://imageshack.us/a/img547/3627/torpedoworksheet.jpg

The large double circles on the outboard sides of the tubes are dedicated probe/drone launch tubes. Andrew Probert suggested adding them to the TMP ship's torpedo bay, and I thought they'd make a nice addition here (if you're going to steal ideas, steal from the best).

24 Dec 2012 06:52
Commander
Commander

I like the second version of the bow wip better.
the first one seems TMP-ish to me and the second more TNG-ish.
I also like the flip-flop idea for the photon torpedo tubes.
2 forward and 2 aft tubes is sufficient,after all this isn't a dreadnought.
(although Reliant did have more firepower than Enterprise) :?

24 Dec 2012 09:27
Commander
Commander

Between preparing for Christmas and the holiday itself, I haven't had much of an opportunity to work on the ship this week, but tonight I was able to finish off the top view of the impulse engine mount, along with most of the details for its stern view. I took a short detour into working on the stern of the ship itself, though, because I wanted to make sure I had enough room for the shuttle bays.

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/2934/sternwip.jpg

Each of the hangars is the same width as the bottom-most hangar in the Ingram's secondary hull. They sit a bit higher up in the hull than I'd originally planned; the new location gives me more room for the shafts from the intermix assembly to the nacelles.

The main structural work on the stern is done; all it needs are the stern phasers, some windows on the extended hull, and the impulse engine mount. Shouldn't take me all that long to get them in place.

I also spent about half an hour revising the top view of the ship. I took Max Nex's advice and linked the colored panels on the extended hull to their source rings on the saucer. I redid the deflector horizontals as well. I've decided that the only details I'm going to add to the top view (other than the hangars and phasers, of course) are a pair of Star Fleet pennants to serve as roundels, a set of doors on the centerline to provide vertical access to the cargo bay, and a couple of rows of lifeboats. With a little luck, I should have the top view finished by tomorrow night.

28 Dec 2012 06:47
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next