View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 05:40

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Main FRS Page 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As per early discussions concerning the future of Apple's MobileMe support for iWeb-created websites like the main FRS webpages, the date when the curtains come down is June 30, 2012. By that date the main site will either need to be recreated elsewhere or disappear.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

21 Jan 2012 15:21
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Thanks for the heads up.

21 Jan 2012 17:46
Commander
Commander

personally , I do not want it to disappear.
has anyone looked into a new host for the Forum ?
I'm not 'in the know' about such things (servers,etc.) to offer any technical assistance.

21 Jan 2012 20:29

Max Nex wrote:
personally , I do not want it to disappear.
has anyone looked into a new host for the Forum ?
I'm not 'in the know' about such things (servers,etc.) to offer any technical assistance.

From what we understand, the Forum isn't affected by this, as it's a different system/server. It's the main FRS page that's in jeopardy.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

21 Jan 2012 22:45
Captain
Captain

I'd be curious to know the traffic stats of the two. I know this (the forum) is my main hangout.

21 Jan 2012 23:43
VIP
VIP

I've been confused on some issues as I have been using iWeb, of recent, also.
I've been following Apple news and MacDailyNews on this issue for awhile, now.
I have been of the understanding that MobileMe is going away and Apple is no longer continuing or supporting iWeb, but I was under the assumption that with web sites still created using iWeb it will just be a matter of finding a new web hosting site to host the content.
I haven't heard about anything related to having to re-do content created using iWeb. If Apple users still are still using iWeb to create a website, it's just MobileMe will no longer exist and by extension, will no longer host website created by iWeb or some other Web creation tool.
My understanding of the situation is that websites created using iWeb can still be hosted by other web hosting sites?
Should still be able to upload all of the content created by iWeb to some other web host with no issues?
Aridas, where did you find out that content in iWeb needs to be totally redone to be uploaded to some other web hosting service? Even though the code in iWeb may not be optimal or as efficiently written, the content should still able to be uploaded/uploadable ,as is, to a different web host without issues or, maybe, with some minor issues, in the worst case?
There are thousands of users of iWeb. I don't think all users of iWeb are going to have to re-do their sites to be able to upload to a different web hosting service?

22 Jan 2012 16:28
Profile YIM
VIP
VIP

Here,s just one link on the topic from the Apple support forums.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/31 ... 0&tstart=0

Do a search about Can websites created in iWeb be uploaded to a new web hosting service?

22 Jan 2012 16:34
Profile YIM

Nascence,

Your description sounds very similar to what happened with our original Federation Frontiers site. It was hosted by AOL and then one day they announced they weren't continuing that service any longer. The content itself remained intact on Mike's hard-drive however and we later uploaded to a new host unchanged.

The difference here though may be that the web creation software we used had no relationship to AOL itself at all. Not sure if a business connection makes a difference here or not.

One big question for me though. Do you have to use a Mac to maintain / modify an iWeb site?

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

22 Jan 2012 17:14
VIP
VIP

I believe, that yes, you need a Mac to use iWeb. It's part of Apple's iLife package of software that includes iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, GarageBand and iWeb.
Doesn't have to be a new Mac to run this application, either. Older PowerPC or older Intel Macs can run iWeb fine.
iWeb has been around for a long time.
From what I read in this particular post, there are some features of iWeb that won't work if using a different web host.
However, you should be able to find the HTML or Javascript code, from other web building helper sites or forums, that you can cut/copy/paste into the iWeb editor that will either replace, simulate and/or approximate those missing features or functions.
From what i can deduce from that Apple Community posting, there is no direct equivalent of iWeb anywhere.
There are web building apps that claim to be equivalent to iWeb, but not really. They do not have the ease of use and fairly speedy learning curve that iWeb has.
I am still learning iWeb and have found it pretty easy, so far, to create a web page and and content to it.
Still will take me time before i can upload it to and FTP web host site, though.
So using another Website building program means doing some rebuild or copy/pasting of code, text, images from iWeb into another Web creation program.
The rebuild, obviously wouldn't look the same as the old FRS main site. Plus, this would be a real time consuming task to do.

23 Jan 2012 00:11
Profile YIM
Commander
Commander

Arkyahnan wrote:
From what we understand, the Forum isn't affected by this, as it's a different system/server. It's the main FRS page that's in jeopardy.

Mark

sorry! I keep thinking they are one and the same.

so what about simply moving the main page to the forum ?
1 server instead of 2
or does the whole code need to be re-written?

23 Jan 2012 18:52
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next