View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:55

Reply to topic  [ 405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
The FJ Fleet 
Captain
Captain

Hi folks. I haven't posted this here since I'm all to aware of my "start but not finish" syndrome. I hope to crack that egg like Humpty Dumpty this year.

I'd done the lion's share of the work on this ship many years ago. But going back to it (and the Ptolemny, the Saladin, and most importantly the Surya) I had been increasingly unhappy with them from an topology perspective. So I'm retackling these with an eye towards mesh effeciency. So far I have used zero booleans on this so I hope it's a much tidier mesh.

I'm also changing my work flow so that when I get a piece done I do the texture unwrapping at the same time. I hope this will prevent my usual process of "modeling is done time to start texturing mesh is never seen again".

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Oh, I've also started using Blender's new Cycles render engine. So I'm trying to get as close as I ever have to the classic TOS nacelles. It's not perfect yet (and I haven't tried to animate it) but it's gaining.
Image Image

I figure I should finish something before the site moves. :D

09 Jan 2012 11:54
Commander
Commander

VERY nice! I remember you had begun working on the FJ dreadnought on Sci Fi Meshes way back when. Great to see you starting up again! Can't wait to see the new Surya!

09 Jan 2012 14:15
Captain
Captain

Thanks!

BTW, who the heck is Allie C. Peed III? He did the dreadnought deck plans and Calon followed his details in Starship Design. Did anyone know this guy?

09 Jan 2012 14:19

Wow, those are really coming along nicely. I don't know a lot about renders and meshes and all that, but I know a good looking ship when I see it and this is looking good. I'll be anxious to see the nacelle domes animated as I think they're looking pretty authentic, and even if they don't quite match up to TOS exactly, they're all different ship types so maybe that's to be expected.

With your work and Harry's over in his FJ thread, it's really interesting to see all these new takes on the SFTM.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

09 Jan 2012 15:21
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Great start.

I like your bow of the dreadnought - it looks better than a simple flat face, that others have done. Though keep in mind that the dreadnought plans done by that guy way back when have the deflector ampifier and pumps internal to the secondary hull. Both might be just the ticket - after all, it is called a 'fear nothing' for a reason... :)

09 Jan 2012 17:04
Commander
Commander

really nice work so far
(as is you could call it USS Balson)
IIRC the Dreadnought did not have a primary hull undercut.
but I will have to dig up my deck plans to be sure.
I do not know who Allie C. Peed III is/was or how authentic you consider those deck plans.

09 Jan 2012 20:11
Commander
Commander

IDK how to get in touch with Allie C. Peed III either. Maybe you can try emailing the webmaster of the LCARS Blueprints site?

10 Jan 2012 00:15
Commander
Commander

Great work Tallguy :D

10 Jan 2012 10:09
VIP
VIP

That's looking great, Tall Guy!
Never saw these anywhere.
I am still trying to get my head around Blender.
Not easy.
Nice job, so far ! ;)

10 Jan 2012 13:51
Profile YIM
Captain
Captain

Nascence wrote:
That's looking great, Tall Guy!
Never saw these anywhere.
I am still trying to get my head around Blender.
Not easy.
Nice job, so far ! ;)

Blender Cookie and Blender Guru. The Blender education that's out there now is extraordinary. You kids have it so easy. :)

No updates today. Cutting more holes for phasers, torpedoes, and I forgot the four sensor / window things on top of the saucer. D'oh! But I did get the saucer unwrapped for textures.

So what do people think is going on with the shuttle deck? Peed had a fairly traditional deck which means the dorsal just ends at the top of the secondary hull. It's worse that FJ's Constitution hangar with his Velcro nacelle pylons. I know it's the 23rd century but there should be something a little more substantial, I think. I may try to add some sort of support structure in the center of the hangar that indicates support but doesn't totally clog up the deck. Not FJ's most thought through detail, I fear.

10 Jan 2012 14:00
Reply to topic   [ 405 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next