View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jun 2017 06:14

Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
GR's Big Idea & Thy Image of the FRS 
Commodore
Commodore

could the AG actually be a direct effect/result of a powered drive field ?
with the AG generators only being some sort of later refined focus/magnifier device ?
or could the AG on Botany Bay be something created/extended by the tractor beam tow ?
or making/projecting a quasi-duplicate drive field bubble/envelope around the old ship ?

otherwise... i'd go with Space Velcro® -- the much superior ( and spacier... ) version of Earth velcro... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

06 Dec 2011 00:23
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

That is a possibility, that the Enterprise was doing something to enable 'gravity' to exist onboard. That wouldn't urprise me at all.

As for the existance of the Botany Bay, I fnd it in concept, a serious possiblity. Plasma engines(ion drive)((electromagnetic drive of some sort). Suspeneded animation, yes, we can do that now thanks to the discovery a few years ago that hydrogen surfied gas in small doeses will do the trick...

That isn't the question for me. What kind of guidence system did the authors expect for the ship? Please keep in mind that until Intel Corporation realised, that a micro processor could stand in for a control system, that control systems were hand crafted by experts...

07 Dec 2011 14:46
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tallguy wrote:
aridas wrote:
You don't need artificial gravity on the Botany Bay if the boarding party had magnatomic adhesion soles on their boots. Better than velcro.

But if there's no grav then McCoy can't drop his tricorder.

Your logic can be most irritating, Mister Tallguy. :P

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

07 Dec 2011 20:06
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
Your logic can be most irritating, Mister Tallguy. :P

I do my best.

Mind you, we can ignore 1960's television production values and imagine a zero-g Botany Bay. Of course that way also lies Rick Sternbach drawing her with chemical rockets...

08 Dec 2011 12:03
Site Admin
Site Admin

Believe me, on my short list of things I'd change if I could edit TOS episodes is Space Seed. I'd either cut all references to the 1990s, or I'd adopt a DY-100 much closer to the Nuclear Shuttle in design. I'd maybe go as far as that "NASA-fied" DY we discuss here every so often.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

08 Dec 2011 13:01
Profile WWW

aridas wrote:
I'd maybe go as far as that "NASA-fied" DY we discuss here every so often.

You mean this one?:

http://www.projectrho.com/botanybay/botanybayCGI02.html

The other pages/galleries are interesting too.

Never thought about it before, but those cargo pods and a few other details also have a slight "Space 1999" look.

There's also this page...pretty interesting really...on 'submarines' inspiring spacecraft in general. Be sure to click on the DY images by another artist that inspired the work above. Overall, an interesting collection of designs and a size comparison.

http://www.projectrho.com/SSC/submarine.html#davies

Also includes some drawings and 'fascinating observations' by a certain Aridas Sofia.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

08 Dec 2011 14:26
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, that's the one. Wenchel did a nice job on that model. Harry has done a good bit of work researching NASA's nuclear shuttle design, which never got to a finished state before being canceled. The round, disk-like containers on that shuttle can definitely be seen as predecessors to the "pie" sections circling the DY's spine. Polishing the nuclear shuttle designn to a presumed finished state might even result in it getting disk containers stacked on a central spine (instead of offset) and a "sub-like" tower providing docking access to Earth and lunar orbit stations. Do that and you have a direct predecessor to the NASA-fied DY.

Then the Jefferies DY can be set a little further in the future, perhaps as a post-Nomad, magnetohydrodynamic-propelled interplanetary transport, circa 2010.

08 Dec 2011 15:37
Profile WWW

^^^^

That all sounds pretty cool. Now, if we could just find Harry to draw it all up. :)

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

08 Dec 2011 16:29
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
Mind you, we can ignore 1960's television production values and imagine a zero-g Botany Bay. Of course that way also lies Rick Sternbach drawing her with chemical rockets...

did you really want the Botany Bay to be backdated that much ?

the more primitive you set the baseline tech, the harder it gets to explain how it got out so far... ; )

Quote:
Believe me, on my short list of things I'd change if I could edit TOS episodes is Space Seed. I'd either cut all references to the 1990s, or I'd adopt a DY-100 much closer to the Nuclear Shuttle in design. I'd maybe go as far as that "NASA-fied" DY we discuss here every so often.

i think i'd flip it the other way, and have a more exotic Tesla derived design... that the Botany Bay was equipped with a secret warp prototype (supermen enhanced research project) full ringship (or variant) drive section and modular cargo midsection and command core... ; )

maybe a little bit more like this... though i'd probably make another pass at it... : )

-- http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj43 ... rpship.jpg

Quote:
Never thought about it before, but those cargo pods and a few other details also have a slight "Space 1999" look.

while using Serpentine... the Babylon 5 font... : )

Quote:
Then the Jefferies DY can be set a little further in the future, perhaps as a post-Nomad, magnetohydrodynamic-propelled interplanetary transport, circa 2010.

bringing up the question of just how much retcon room there is with this story... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

08 Dec 2011 17:13
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Okay, lets move the DY-100s forward a bit. Make representive of what was fast FTL travel back "then". FTL travel so slow over the typical distances, that suspended animation is required.

This would explain much. Like the fact that it would now take in the real world 39 days to get to Mars... With VASIMR.... Which means it would take too long to get out the Oort cloud excetra....

But would take significant time (5,000 years plus) to get to Alpha Centuri.

Lets say a couple of years to get there instead. Assume an acceleration curve, just to make things interesting.

The DY-500s would be more advanced, capable versions. But used over much greater distances and times...

09 Dec 2011 14:06
Reply to topic   [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next