View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:55

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
federationreference.com 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The main FRS site is hosted by Apple's MobileMe service, which will cease to exist next June. So, this website's future as it is currently hosted and organized is definitely going to change.

The main issue is the site itself. I built it, such as it is, with Apple's iWeb software, which was designed to integrate with MobileMe. I'm sure someone, somewhere hosts websites built using iWeb, and I will look into that possibility. But cost becomes a factor at that point, with the fees incurred needing to be no more substantial than what I've been paying.

It actually is a good thing that I've been dragging my feet on adding new features to the site, because in the end all that might have been lost or needed to be redone. This affords a chance, over a good, long period, to see just how many and how much people are using the site and are willing to contribute content to it, and whether it makes sense to me to incur the expense and effort of, if necessary, redoing everything.

Just wanted to keep you in the loop.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

14 Oct 2011 09:11
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

That's potentially distressing news. I know running a site takes a lot of effort, if not cash. I hope it all works out and we still have our corner of the 23rd century to play in.

14 Oct 2011 14:44
Commander
Commander

If there is anything we can do to help out please let us know

15 Oct 2011 08:12
Site Admin
Site Admin

The deadline for figuring out how to deal with the problem presented by the end of Apple's MobileMe and iWeb is upon us. We have about four weeks to locate a host for the main FRS site. My hope that art would be produced that might flesh out the main site has been realized and new pages of the FRS available online (and possibly in "print to order" form) are possible. But there has to be a main site where the material created here can be brought together. That site would also host the digitized 1984-88 FRS in all its archival glory, along with any further deck plan and 3D work on Focus:1701.

But, we need a host. So, everyone that visits the site please take it upon yourselves to find hosting services that can handle websites built in iWeb, then post your suggestions in this thread. We have 30-40 people coming through here each month, so there should be enough suggestions that something usable and affordable (read: very cheap) will be found.

Thanks.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

27 May 2012 12:55
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

This Individual has some suggestions

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/06/13/ten-ways ... e-hosting/

Found this Iweb forum talking about web hosting

http://iwebunlimited.com/forum/topic/free-web-hosting

this site seems reasonable at first glance

http://www.ragesw.com/webhosting.php

27 May 2012 14:27
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks, Bernard. I'm not sure any of those will work, but we'll see. For everyone else, the notice from Apple came today -- the end comes in 30 days, on June 30.

31 May 2012 18:02
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well make sure that you have multiple copies of the site. At least one should go into a safe deposit box.

01 Jun 2012 12:19
Commander
Commander

Aridas
I googled and got this I don't know if it will help since the sites are in Canada but you should be able to get a US equivalant.

http://www.hosting-review.com/canada.shtml

Here's something from apple support on moving the site

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4686

http://www.cultofmac.com/100809/what-to ... iweb-site/

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/h ... cated_host

I hope some of these help you

09 Jun 2012 12:07
Site Admin
Site Admin

Main website is now down.

01 Jul 2012 12:45
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Ahhhhh, the future. She is a tough nut, eh?

01 Jul 2012 14:42
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next