View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:54

Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
Ptolemy-class Transport/Tug 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
This one's a blast from the past, in more ways than one. The original paper version of this was one of the first drawings I did when I got into this hobby back in the late '80s. The class history for the Ptolemy in the original FRS said that she was built right after the Constitution completed her trials; however, due to certain constraints, she used the older, less sophisticated PB-18 engine rather than the PB-31. I decided to draw her in that configuration, and, using the Heavy Cruiser Development series as an inspiration, I went on to do the other configurations as well. I toyed with them occasionally until the mid-90s, when I discovered the Galactic Engineers Concordance. I hit upon the idea of submitting the series to it, and I went on to redraw them in a larger, better detailed scale. With my usual impeccable sense of timing, I finished the project just before the GEC shut down. :lol:

When I got into drawing on the computer, one of my planned projects was to redo the Ptolemy series, correcting the mistakes I made in the past. This was actually the project I was working on when I got hooked on aridas' Modular Fleet concept back in March. I had laid most of the ground work, and I just needed to put the pieces together. I also needed to do the keel and stern views, neither of which I had done before.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7485/ptolemyplanview.jpg
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/5411 ... elview.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/2599/p ... rtview.jpg
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/5374 ... rdview.jpg
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/6053 ... owview.jpg
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5172 ... rnview.jpg

I also decided to try something a little different. Some years ago I picked up an image of the Saladin in 2227 from an earlier version of the FRS online. It featured a hull configuration and nacelle design different from anything seen back in the original FRS, and I thought it would be amusing to try redoing Ptolemy in the same style. I did two passes at the side view, one with the engine from the destroyer and one with the PB-18 from the original backstory.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/7854 ... tview1.jpg
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7553/a ... tview2.jpg

13 Sep 2011 02:07
Captain
Captain

Those are terrific. Very nicely done.

13 Sep 2011 11:15
VIP
VIP

I'd have to agree! :)
Very well done. Nice job!
I'm impressed!
I'd still come up with something different for installing the dish in the location though.
Still think it could be easily whacked off by phaser or photon torpedo fire.

13 Sep 2011 11:42
Profile YIM
Captain
Captain

I've grown to have a real fondness for FJ's dangling deflector dishes. It's a little ungainly, but for some nameless reason I think it adds something. It's no more exposed than anything else on a Trek ship. I've long since realized that targeting a 20 meter part on a 300 meter spaceship from 60,000 kilometers away (or more) while moving at warp factor god knows what is a little far fetched.

13 Sep 2011 12:03
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The one mistake I found in the Ptomlemy's write up in the FRS is that she could have weapons - impluse power provided that in the early ships...

13 Sep 2011 12:54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, MLJames... Between your Momsen and your capital frigates and now this... WOW. Great work. I'd love to use this material to make new FRS reports if we ever do that sort of thing here. Were you a subscriber to the FRS back in the 80s or did you get your copies from somewhere else? Because if I'd known you were this good I would have asked you to draw up something for one of the issues back then.

Are you going to continue this with the Kepler class? And have you considered the smaller transports shown on the "modular" chart? Some of the work you've already done might be used to figure out how they looked.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

13 Sep 2011 15:54
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

John N. Ritter wrote:
The one mistake I found in the Ptomlemy's write up in the FRS is that she could have weapons - impluse power provided that in the early ships...

Do you have the quote from that report handy? I vaguely remember something like that but I don't think I said they were entirely unarmed.

I hope not. Because my recent thinking on this design is that it is differentiated from other auxilliaries -- and is classified as a class one starship -- because it is a self-sufficient military design. Convoys might be occasionally employed to provide additional protection, but Ptolemys should be able to take care of themselves under normal circumstances.

It must be so -- the thing has similar nacelles and at least some of the same components as a top of the line starship, and is derived from a modular concept wherein those top of the line components would be employed across the entire line for other starship types.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

13 Sep 2011 16:00
Profile WWW

aridas wrote:
John N. Ritter wrote:

Do you have the quote from that report handy? I vaguely remember something like that but I don't think I said they were entirely unarmed.

I hope not.

Nope, you didn't. Both the FRS and the original Technical Manual specify four phaser emplacements, two in the usual bottom-forward location of the primary hull, and two in the upper aft quadrant of the hull.

Quote:
Because my recent thinking on this design is that it is differentiated from other auxilliaries -- and is classified as a class one starship -- because it is a self-sufficient military design. Convoys might be occasionally employed to provide additional protection, but Ptolemys should be able to take care of themselves under normal circumstances.

It must be so -- the thing has similar nacelles and at least some of the same components as a top of the line starship, and is derived from a modular concept wherein those top of the line components would be employed across the entire line for other starship types.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Best,
Alex

14 Sep 2011 01:04
Commander
Commander

very nice !
I was thinking a while back that Ptolemy as originally commissioned should have had that 'First Pilot' look
and then succeding block of ships should have mirrored the heavy cruiser evolution.
second pilot version ,main series version,phase II version until finally TMP version.
this would also be the same scheme fleet-wide rather than the series of constant uprating we see of every TOS design to TMP version.
to me that doesn't seem plausable to spend 18 months radically rebuilding a ship when a brand-new one can be built in 12 months.
and the 'older' ships can remain on active duty so there is no gap in the fleet's coverage.
(this also aids in incremental expansion rather than the 'explosion' we see in TNG (also highly implausable))

14 Sep 2011 01:35
Commodore
Commodore

exactly... : )

there would be ships of obviously different vintage and origin... : )

why would you upgrade a '57 Chevy into a '64 Corvette and then into a '73 Vega... ; )

are starfleet engineers really that much into hot rods and system modding ?

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

14 Sep 2011 01:48
Reply to topic   [ 465 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next