View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:45

Reply to topic  [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
Ptolemy-class Transport/Tug 
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

How many times did Kirk orders them out of planetary orbit at warp factor one or higher?

Impulse was supposed to be for emergencies only.

What there was, was inconsistent. This could be explained by the thought that impulse had to be tested from time to time.

Now look at the Impulse engines pages. FJ had some thought about how impulse power worked. Compare with the warp nacelle cut away... a warp like field is clearly indicated.

So the question then becomes more profound. As in, what the heck is going on here?

Part of the answer goes back to the episode 'Where no Man has Gone Before ', and the reference to the old impulse engines...

But remember their small size in comparison to the warp nacelles... tiny.

16 Jul 2017 16:53
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... i always thought the warp drive nacelles were...

a) mostly empty space (if not an armored shell surrounding a complete vacuum)
b) only THAT large because they needed to contain the bulky TIME warping components...
c) a much more refined or developed form of the earlier ftl-capable IMPULSE drives... ; )

but... that's my heresy...

i suppose i was greatly affected by the whole "stardrive the size of a walnut" meme... : )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

16 Jul 2017 21:35
Site Admin
Site Admin

davros_of_borg wrote:
hmm... i always thought the warp drive nacelles were...

a) mostly empty space (if not an armored shell surrounding a complete vacuum)
b) only THAT large because they needed to contain the bulky TIME warping components...
c) a much more refined or developed form of the earlier ftl-capable IMPULSE drives... ; )

but... that's my heresy...

i suppose i was greatly affected by the whole "stardrive the size of a walnut" meme... : )

When I drew the interior of the PB nacelle, the front was a multiple microsingularity "gun" and containment fronted by a spinning Podkletnov gravity lens. Behind it were stacked bussard funnels. They led to matter condensators and storage, then the matter-to-antimatter converter and AM storage.Then the first stage reactor and first stage negative energy induction rings, followed by the power stage reactor and power stage negative energy induction rings. A reactor control loop links the two reactors. Behind the power stage rings are the intercooler assemblies and finally the restoration microsingularity gun and containment covered by another gravity lens.

It was definitely not mostly empty space in my cutaway. Of course, your guess is as good as mine on that one because mine was filled with more assumptions than the Drake equation.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

16 Jul 2017 21:55
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

My apology. I was referring to the Geoffrey Mandell's cutaway.

17 Jul 2017 06:20
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
Of course, your guess is as good as mine on that one because mine was filled with more assumptions than the Drake equation.

yep... though your guesses are certainly a lot more logical and more plausible than mine... and give a better framework for expanding the technology base... : )

in some of my more fanciful musings...

i speculate that most of the observable Trek technologies are actually based on a combination of hidden/suppressed Tesla scalar physics... a bit of the discredited Luminous Ether theories (to explain the manifold mysteries of subspace)... and then throw in a bit of pulp psionics (and some high weirdness to taste)... ; )

of course... that also includes the viewpoint of seeing many of the Trek stories as an illustrative mixture of both the traditional American westerns and high-tech modernist morality tales... within a classical pulp space opera superstructure... ; )

so... i suppose i really am a left-handed spanner when it comes to following most of the 'harder' tech side of canon... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

17 Jul 2017 17:42
Reply to topic   [ 465 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47