View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 05:50

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Federation Reference FAQ 
Commander
Commander

I believe it would be interesting if a FAQ or history was written concerning the creation of the original Federation Reference Series, the Avenger Class Blueprints, and the Ships of the Star Fleet, how these books and blueprints came about, and what sort of assumptions or interesting stories affected the creative decisions made in their creation.

12 Jan 2009 02:59
Captain
Captain

That would be really neat. Throw in the Decatur, the Enterprise Evolution, and the Kobayashi Maru, of course.

12 Jan 2009 13:13
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll be happy to start a thread about it, though I'm sure the story isn't that interesting. maybe it would make more sense if you asked me any specific questions you might have right here in this thread.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

12 Jan 2009 18:11
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Who coined the name Avenger and Avenger class for the U.S.S. Reliant? Was this from production notes of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan or was this the creation of Aridas Sofia?

12 Jan 2009 18:43
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's how it happened:

TWOK's original title was "The Vengeance of Khan."

"Return of the Jedi" was originally going to be released as "Revenge of the Jedi."

Paramount didn't want its movie confused with Lucas' movie. So, they changed the title.

Vengeance, even though it has a notable naval history, seemed unfitting for a Gene Roddenberry ship. And because I still considered Star Trek to be the work of Gene Roddenberry, I looked for a similar but more fitting alternative. At the time the USN was planning an Avenger-class of mine countermeasures ships. That name seemed suitably timely and fitting, even more so because of the recent publication of "Midshipman Bolitho and the Avenger", a novella very much in the style of Forester's "Hornblower" stories. In that story, young Midshipman Bolitho is assigned duty aboard HM Cutter Avenger during the swashbuckling days preceding the American Revolution.

"Khan" had more of the "Hornblower" feel than even TOS and putting together the story of the movie's name change with the USN and Bolitho ships, I named the class Avenger.

13 Jan 2009 13:20
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

This thread is kinda dusty. What else can we add to it? How about how the original print run of the FRS came to be? Was it seen as "new pages" for the FJD Tech Manual? I recall that you had mentioned some correspondence with at least Andy Probert getting it done. Anyone else?

28 May 2010 16:42
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was a rethinking of the TM as well as meaning to (sort of) be an addenda. It tried never to step on what was in the TM without a good explanation, while at the same time laying out the foundations of the SFPO view of things. How it all fit together in my mind, from reading the novels, seeing the shows and movie, even reading some of the better comics (like Warkentin's syndicated newspaper strip). TWOK was at first seen as like some of the episodes that made little military, technical or scientific sense. That is, until it became clear that was going to be the "new way" of doing things. Then it started to undermine my rationalizing...

I talked several times to Probert and he sent some things. I got a lot of stuff from Paul Newitt that almost led me to change the direction of the project and do "The Art of Star Trek", but that never worked out. There was a "Klingon Reference" that was planned, but some of that ended up being wrapped into the FRS. Much was never published, however.

And there was a lot of historical stuff that I wrote that has made it here. As should be obvious, I didn't include it for fear of harming sales.

28 May 2010 17:20
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI, here is an interesting description of the six issues of the FRS:

http://z8.invisionfree.com/CygnusX1_For ... owtopic=58

25 Jun 2010 17:43
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

I always like your higher roll bar placement on the Avenger. I have seen it drawn flatter but Avenger always seemed more imposing with the torpedo pod raised higher.

28 Jun 2010 15:15
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Imposing is the question. What happens as the torpedo leaves the vincinity of the ship to the ship? Is the question - I would rather not rely upon forcefields...

28 Jun 2010 17:19
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next