View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:38

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Federation Reference FAQ 
Ensign
Ensign

Any chance we will see a revised FRS or maybe a continuation of the series?

29 Sep 2010 20:29
Commodore
Commodore

or an ePub version for iPads... ; )

contemplating the anti-Cogley notion of having e-copies of my reference works is better than no access to vintage hardcopy... : O

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

29 Sep 2010 23:49
Captain
Captain

That very thought has crossed my mind. The iPad would be the closest thing we've gotten to my dream of having all my classic blueprints and manuals in an easy to carry "thing" that I could just pull up whatever I wanted whenever I wanted it. Sort of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Star Fleet.

I've been dinking around with making a vector edition of the Star Trek Maps. Not MUCH progress. But all I have to do is not stop.

30 Sep 2010 00:24
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flux Chiller wrote:
Any chance we will see a revised FRS or maybe a continuation of the series?

I'd like to get a timeline finished. Also I'd like to get the designs I'm happy with completed and drawn into either a) full six views with the portside profile in color, or b) top and side views, like the original FRS. These would be framed by the full color version of the original FRS layout against a black background that I have shown here before, proportioned for the iPad.

I don't have my office put back together in my new home yet, and there are many things on my plate that are in the way of getting this done. But discussions like the S.P.H.E.R.E. thread are intended to help me figure out final versions of some of these ships so the plan can inch a little closer to realization.

In the end, I hope to have text pages in the FRS format that elaborate on the backgrounds of these ships, and full spec pages with class listings that give some sense of how the technology evolves.

Then, I'll probably post these individual "ship reports" on the main site for download in pdf form.

The one thing that really gets in the way of this is the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the new ships among the 3D modeling community. Except for Tallguy and a few others like Vektor on the TrekBBS, there has been no interest in building any of them. I really don't want to put together the pages and write up the text, specs etc. if there are no "action shots" to accompany what I've done. The inability to get believable photos put together drained my enthusiasm for the original FRS, and it has done it again. I take it as a kind of vote on the whole thing, and the vote hasn't gone well.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 Sep 2010 09:47
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

aridas wrote:
The one thing that really gets in the way of this is the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the new ships among the 3D modeling community. Except for Tallguy and a few others like Vektor on the TrekBBS, there has been no interest in building any of them. I really don't want to put together the pages and write up the text, specs etc. if there are no "action shots" to accompany what I've done. The inability to get believable photos put together drained my enthusiasm for the original FRS, and it has done it again. I take it as a kind of vote on the whole thing, and the vote hasn't gone well.

I understand where you're coming from and with great respect, I wouldn't let that stop me or get me down so much. Realistic 3D images would be cool and create a greater sense of immersion but they shouldn't carry or take away from the other things that go with them. I would rather have a set of plans and the history to go with them without 3D images, than have nothing at all. Your great work is one the key elements that has created so much interest in this subject and has driven me and others to seek out your material and to join this forum. It would be unfortunate and heart breaking not to revisit this series and perpetuate that interest solely for lack of photos.

30 Sep 2010 16:03
Commodore
Commodore

yep...

: )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

30 Sep 2010 16:33

Flux Chiller wrote:
I understand where you're coming from and with great respect, I wouldn't let that stop me or get me down so much. Realistic 3D images would be cool and create a greater sense of immersion but they shouldn't carry or take away from the other things that go with them. I would rather have a set of plans and the history to go with them without 3D images, than have nothing at all. Your great work is one the key elements that has created so much interest in this subject and has driven me and others to seek out your material and to join this forum. It would be unfortunate and heart breaking not to revisit this series and perpetuate that interest solely for lack of photos.

Word. :)

aridas, allow me to suggest that right now, what we see are a few images and a lot of chatter. I think that if you want the 3D artists to come, you need to get the stuff you have out there, even if it's just sketches. Y'know, "If you build it..." etc. ;) For example, you rolled out the Kiaga drawings, and there's at least a rough 3D version out there. I know there's more interest in those designs, but the interest is very much held by folks who've seen them before and know the history. To grow the interest, new folks have to see the material, and if new folks see the pics, they're more likely to respond. As a friend of mine likes to say, "Pretty pictures work."

In short, if the artists out there see the site--and the interest in the FRS and Mastercom world--as active and vibrant, then they're more likely to be willing to put some time and effort into modeling the designs they see there.

Just MHO, of course. Take it as you will.

Best,
Alex

04 Oct 2010 14:00
I'd like to echo what Alex has said. If you want 3-D artists to model your ships, you have to get your designs out there in public view. I've had no trouble attracting artists to produce both digital and physical models (and deck plans, fan fiction, web comics, and gaming mods) of my designs, in part because my work has been available continuously on the Web, in the same location and in an attractive package, for 10 years, thanks to Bernd Schneider. Bernd has worked very hard over the years to build his Ex Astris Scientia (EAS) site and its reputation among fans; he's told me that he studies web traffic, links, referring sites, mentions of his site, etc., in an attempt to attract visitors to EAS. Because my site is a sister site to EAS, I have, like a parasite, reaped the benefits of Bernd's hard work. Other designers, like Atolm, have no Website of their own but post their work regularly at sites like Sci-Fi Meshes and Subspace Coms Network. Atolm usually doesn't produce full-blown technical schematics, but his sketches (both color and monochrome) are imaginative enough that his designs are regularly modeled. He also makes himself available to answer modelers' questions about his work.

So, if you want people to model your ships: 1) post at other forums where modelers lurk, give them a taste of your work, and don't get into fights; or 2) build a site where people can see all your work, attract visitors to your site, be nice to them when they arrive, and give them enough content to get them to stay.

I find that modelers don't really care so much about back story and timelines. They want cool, attractive, solidly engineered designs that will look nice and stand out when rendered. Remember, when a modeler builds one of your ships, he is not doing it as a favor to you; it's all about his wanting to produce attractive artwork for his own satisfaction and to impress other artists. Modelers also care more about shape than surface detail. Well-constructured 4- or 5-view drawings help. Color is not necessary but does attract the modeler's eye.

The other route is to learn 3D modeling yourself, but who the hell has time for that? Or you can hire someone (I know a site owner that paid a modeler $20 to model a ship, about 10 years ago.)

07 Oct 2010 20:58
Site Admin
Site Admin

I appreciate all of your comments, gleaned from considerable experience. I guess I knew that it would be necessary to provide 4-6 views of the ships before there would be any chance of them catching on. As soon as I get my office put back together I'm going to try to put a few of them into FRS-style ship reports and we'll see how it goes. Hopefully they will excite fans of the old books and new folks looking for something a little different.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

09 Oct 2010 13:19
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Very glad to hear that and can't wait to see what you have! :D

11 Oct 2010 22:29
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next