View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:55

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
The Modular Class One Fleet 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is another of my works in progress. It is based a little on FJ, and was definitely inspired by Shaw's ideas about the basic primary and secondary hulls being composed of smaller modular sections. In this view, ships from the 4YW-TOS era are depicted in rudimentary diagrams to illustrate their relationship. Saucers are built so that a light cruiser has two saucer module "rings", a cruiser has three, a heavy cruiser four, and a super cruiser (the planned basis for the dreadnought) five. In a scenario like this, the later Ingram, Kirov, and Ariel saucers would be "ultra" sized.

Here is a reduced-size jpeg. Click on it to go to my iDisk where you can download the full sized pdf, titled ModularClass1Fleet.pdf.

You'll notice I'm playing with the language you are familiar with from books like the FJTM, SotSF and my own FRS. (e.g. destroyers and scouts are "pickets", etc.) This "document" is from an earlier era. 'Nuff said. ;)

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

07 Mar 2011 19:41
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

nice... : )

i especially like that there's a rational design basis for having different diameter saucers... ; )

and if this is a diagram based on the inner pressure hull, it could explain the various unique hull contours of ships of the era

and how they could eventually 'evolve' into a near-Enterprise appearance

then the bridge modules would still simply be "bolted on" to the central habitat core - and commonly switched out when upgraded ?

possibly the impulse deck would also be modular as well ?

would there be a precursor design to the Grissom ?

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

07 Mar 2011 20:17
Captain
Captain

Interesting... Amazing work and an innovative idea.

It's funny, over the years I've become a lot less enchanted with the "snap together fleet" idea. Maybe because I'm making it TOO simple in my head. I guess it's a question of scale. I have no problem with standardized components such as the nacelles. Certainly the bridge modules. OTOH I have a harder time imagining a warp drive being "plug and play".

I'm arguing right now with someone over why all the saucers in Star Fleet wouldn't necessarily look JUST like the 11 foot model.

The refit Enterprise is a struggle from this perspective. If starship parts are mass produced, why go to the effort to "mold" an old existing ship to be a new one when you can pop out replacement parts? I know that MJ's idea for the Phase II ship is much more in line with popping out new parts.

But this is certainly a VERY cool representation and unlike anything we've seen elsewhere.

davros_of_borg wrote:
would there be a precursor design to the Grissom ?

Good grief, man. Why don't you just ask about the Excelsior while you're at it and have done with it? :o

08 Mar 2011 11:03
Captain
Captain

EDIT: Wow. I see aridas voluntarily mentioned the SCS in his original post. :oops:

08 Mar 2011 11:11
Ensign
Ensign

Tallguy wrote:

The refit Enterprise is a struggle from this perspective. If starship parts are mass produced, why go to the effort to "mold" an old existing ship to be a new one when you can pop out replacement parts? I know that MJ's idea for the Phase II ship is much more in line with popping out new parts.

But this is certainly a VERY cool representation and unlike anything we've seen elsewhere.

It might still make sense to remold the 1701 into a new design if those changes are being implemented across all of the parts, meaning that the standardized parts are being "revised" according to new requirements, warp dynamics, etc.

08 Mar 2011 11:51
Commodore
Commodore

Quote:
Good grief, man. Why don't you just ask about the Excelsior while you're at it and have done with it? :o

aww... but i liked the Grissom... ; )

well... except for the whole scale issue, and how you can't just take a turbolift into the lower hull... : O

and oddly enough i like some of FASAs less *cough* eccentric designs... LOL

Quote:
It might still make sense to remold the 1701 into a new design if those changes are being implemented across all of the parts, meaning that the standardized parts are being "revised" according to new requirements, warp dynamics, etc.

yep... : )

hmm... then would the saucer profile on Excelsior be state-of-the-art for 'regular' warp, or only for transwarp ??

if Enterprise was upgraded again after ST4 -- would it morph into an Excelsior lookalike ?

wondering how versatile/adaptable a spaceframe core with modular pressure sections can be... and if the actual visible exterior is considered ephemeral...

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

08 Mar 2011 16:49
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the whole thing should be thought of as a semi-monocoque structure: a structural skeleton (spaceframe) to which are attached modules, around which is a skin that gives the optimal warp dynamic, pressure regulation, structural stabity, defensive shielding, etc.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

08 Mar 2011 17:56
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
I think the whole thing should be thought of as a semi-monocoque structure: a structural skeleton (spaceframe) to which are attached modules, around which is a skin that gives the optimal warp dynamic, pressure regulation, structural stabity, defensive shielding, etc.

Attractive camera angles...

08 Mar 2011 18:52

This is really cool... it opens up some great design ideas. And I really like the configuration names (which invoke an earlier naval feel).

08 Mar 2011 23:29
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

This lineup is obviously strongly influenced by the ship types presented in the FRS Starship Recognition Chart. The SRC showed later ship types from a time when this modular system was breaking down. Following time's arrow backwards, we'd find that the earliest Star Fleet in the 22nd century would be composed of clippers, pickets, auxilliaries and cruisers with capital carriers coming on the scene for the E-R war but then disappearing again. Clippers would diversify into the various specialized types shown here-- corsairs, corvettes and later, the small patrol combatants. Pickets would split into the larger PCs and sloops. Cruisers would split the slower, tougher frigates off. And so on.

09 Mar 2011 02:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next