View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:10

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
The Modular Class One Fleet 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can't search for "dreadnought" and "cruiser" but you can search for "clipper" and "corsair".

The server is obviously a fan of the FRS!

;)

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

18 May 2012 11:48
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

You laugh now, but wait 'till it tells you your facts are uncoordinated.

18 May 2012 12:45
Site Admin
Site Admin

So I am revisiting this. Basically thinking through how the "new" circumferential fleet might have been designed and looked in 2222. More to come. Suffice it to say, it's modular, alright. Hopefully it will also be artfully proto-Jefferies. I am definitely learning a lot from his fascination with NASA rocketeer Krafft Ehricke.

22 Feb 2016 15:59
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Looking forward to it.

22 Feb 2016 16:28

As am I. Very much.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

06 May 2016 09:08
Captain
Captain

I've said this before (and maybe I ought to just make my own damn stuff, eh?) but I wish there was more effort in fanon and canon to make the Constitution (or whatever we're calling the first Enterprise type ship) a truly radical departure from anything seen previously. (I guess in canon that ship sailed with the TV show Enterprise.)

I could even go so far as to think that when she was put in the water in 222x that she wasn't Pike's ship. That there was a pretty radical overhaul before she became THE Enterprise. (Hey, maybe that's when she became the 1st ship of the 17th design?)

Part of my "reasoning" for this was the didn't make it into the script gasp when Our Heroes saw that the Romulans has an obviously Starship inspired Romulan ship. Why would it be that big a deal if the Feddies has been using saucers and sticks for decades?

Dunno. I'm in kind of a "put it all in the fire" kind of mood this morning. (I mean, really, doesn't the 29th century make more sense? Squire of Gothos, right?)

I'm also trying to square who "invented" warp drive with Metrons and Organians, and Floopdoolians. (Who held all known space during the 20th century according to Blish?) Maybe there was an intergalactic "pause" while all of the old-timers moved on and Cochrane was the first of the "new class". Maybe that's a different topic? But I'm curious if you've explored the evolution of warp dynamics among other space faring races?

Maybe "warp travel" isn't all that common in our part of space in the TOSth century? Certainly didn't seem like it.

End of ramble. (I'll go over to the TMP thread and do more.)

06 May 2016 11:03
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your reasoning is what led me, all those years ago, to the bold statement that the Horizon/Archon immediately preceded the Constitution. I still like that. Back in 1985 I would have said it happened by breaking down components into basic molecular forms and rebuilding on the underlying frame, a'la my thinking back then on the TMP-era refits.

The only difference now is I'm saying there is a whole, Horizon/Archon-ish Star Fleet full of ships around 2200 that is rebuilt into a proto-Constitution around 2220. The reason is circumferential warp drive. The facilitator is tritanium and duranium. So old ship use new materials to make them capable of handling the stresses of new nacelles.

As for the rest, I also want Cochrane to be special. I'm more of the belief that the Metrons, Organians and such are post-humans from the 21st century that transcended the bounds of space and time. We see them now and then, here and there but in fact they're everywhere and everytime, but only come out when something interests them enough. So it may well be that humans are very special indeed, the progenitors of all life in the universe, but via these singularitian man gods. Cochrane might himself have been a lesser transhuman, part of one of the groups that modified themselves just enough but not all the way- the folks that unaltered humans purged out of fear like they had the Eugenics (I hate that word "augments").

06 May 2016 19:32
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... now i'm wondering how MANY of the Trek races could really be post-human encounters... ; )

and would the other dominant spacefaring races necessarily have to have gone through a singularity phase...
-- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_ ... t_story%29

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

06 May 2016 22:42
Ensign
Ensign

aridas wrote:
I'm more of the belief that the Metrons, Organians and such are post-humans from the 21st century that transcended the bounds of space and time. We see them now and then, here and there but in fact they're everywhere and everytime, but only come out when something interests them enough. So it may well be that humans are very special indeed, the progenitors of all life in the universe, but via these singularitian man gods. Cochrane might himself have been a lesser transhuman, part of one of the groups that modified themselves just enough but not all the way- the folks that unaltered humans purged out of fear like they had the Eugenics (I hate that word "augments").

Interesting. A friend and I were discussing similar ideas recently. Since the Organians made it clear they were our future, and we would one day evolve to be like them, we thought that there would be a number of non-corporeal races that evolved from corporeal races. I suggested that the Vedala are an older race, closer to that evolution, but they're tired. They didn't cross that threshold. One a tangent, I think they transporter-cloned Kirk and Spock in Jihad, and re-use them and the other volunteers...
Anyway, I suggest that humans from the far future, as they evolved into energy beings, came back into the past to ensure their future by making it harder or impossible for some of the other races to evolve out of matter. The most evolved and powerful of these we call Q. Before they snuck back in time, they were perhaps as powerful as the Metrons or Organians, and the Vedala or somebody else was the neo-Q. Arriving earlier than that previous preeminent non-corporeal race, they made sure that that race couldn't cross the threshold, and now watch over humanity to ensure we do evolve into them. They don't coddle us, they don't want us to think they like us or allow other powerful entities to realize they do (The Doud (sp?), for example). They just want to prevent stagnation or destruction and push us to evolve.
We've worked this into my friend's fan-fic background as the causative factor for an alien race he created for his Trek.

23 Jul 2016 01:47
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22