View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Aug 2017 09:56

Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
The Modular Class One Fleet 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
It's actually just one ship. As I mentioned way earlier in this topic (back on page 7), the backstory I settled on was that she started out as a test vessel for both the capital frigate design and some of the Phase II technology. She underwent a pretty rigorous test schedule, and a lot of problems popped up with her hull shape and her propulsion systems. All of these were eventually corrected: the hull form evolved into the Kirov-class dreadnought, while lessons learned on the warp engines led to the LN-60 nacelles. The Zhukov class never went into production because at the time (the late 2250s), Star Fleet didn't really have a mission that fit the ship's capabilities (nor, with the proposed linear warp upgrades to the rest of the Fleet, did it have the funding for a new class of very large ships), and the prototype spent several years in mothballs before someone proposed converting her to hospital and relief duty. She underwent a lrefit to upgrade her propulsion systems to the more reliable LN-60 design and to install the new interior facilities, and when she went into service she was renamed Wallenberg.

As far as the centerline hangar goes, remember that the first version of her was based off the tech from the Phase II series. So far as I can tell, that version of the ship didn't have the power transfer shafts linking the engine room with the warp and impulse engines. I wanted fairly large hangar facilities, and since I didn't need to have the TMP engine structures, I decided I could get away with the centerline placement. I've seen several movie-era frigate variants with only one hangar, and all of them had the bay located on one side of the center impulse engine. I never liked that arrangement (thought it looked unbalanced), so I didn't use it. When I made the upgraded version, I could either go back to the twin hangar/single impulse engine arrangement, or I could figure out a way to keep the center hangar. That's how she wound up with twin impulse deflection crystals. Wallenberg has two independent TMP-style engineering sections, each one powering one impulse mount and one nacelle.

15 May 2012 06:36
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the information. As I mentioned earlier, I think this is rather cool and I'm printing copies that I'm going to frame and hang on my Wall of Geek.

15 May 2012 13:21
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

MLJames wrote:
It's actually just one ship. As I mentioned way earlier in this topic (back on page 7), the backstory I settled on was that she started out as a test vessel for both the capital frigate design and some of the Phase II technology. She underwent a pretty rigorous test schedule, and a lot of problems popped up with her hull shape and her propulsion systems. All of these were eventually corrected: the hull form evolved into the Kirov-class dreadnought, while lessons learned on the warp engines led to the LN-60 nacelles. The Zhukov class never went into production because at the time (the late 2250s), Star Fleet didn't really have a mission that fit the ship's capabilities (nor, with the proposed linear warp upgrades to the rest of the Fleet, did it have the funding for a new class of very large ships), and the prototype spent several years in mothballs before someone proposed converting her to hospital and relief duty. She underwent a lrefit to upgrade her propulsion systems to the more reliable LN-60 design and to install the new interior facilities, and when she went into service she was renamed Wallenberg.

So I've looked over the drawings (was able to print them out 11 x 17). Does the Zhukov have phasers? I don't see obvious examples of them. Ditto for photon torpedoes. Was your backstory that this was a structure and propulsion test vehicle, not a prototype warship?

Perhaps some of the problems included things that would not be a problem for a hospital ship, like poor maneuverability and acceleration?

Also, are there any good images of the Kirov available? For some reason, I cannot actually search this site using that word.

17 May 2012 18:06
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, answering my own question, here's an image of the Kirov I found on the Trek BBS:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=986275

It's a little small and low-res.

17 May 2012 23:07
Site Admin
Site Admin

You might want to check out this topic:

topic6.html

;)

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

17 May 2012 23:17
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. As I noted earlier, for some reason the search function would not let me enter the word "Kirov." It treats it like the word "the" as too common to search for. Ah, technology...

17 May 2012 23:20
Site Admin
Site Admin

I know. I tested it after you wrote that you were having problems. It's an unusual, and must be coming down from the proPhpBB and phpBB gods above. It doesn't like "Enterprise" or "Kirov" but is fine with "Kiaga" and "Leonardo". It knows we don't have (until now) any mention of "phlebotomy". But it really doesn't like searching for "Todd". Don't ask it to search for "Kirk" or "Spock" but don't worry if you need to know about "Sulu" or "Scotty". And it keeps changing its likes and dislikes. But some are staying put.

I feel like we're coming up on Terminator Judgement Day. :o

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

17 May 2012 23:30
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
To answer your question about phasers, neither version of the ship has any armament at all. Since she was conceived as a spaceframe and propulsion system test bed, the Fleet didn't feel it necessary to equip her with weapons for those test runs; the spaces for them inside the hull were left vacant to allow their installation if and when the class went into production. When she was converted to hospital/relief work, weapons were judged incompatible with that role. She wouldn't really need them, anyway, since she's supposed to be doing humanitarian work within the Federation, not patrolling the frontier.

18 May 2012 03:25
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
I know. I tested it after you wrote that you were having problems. It's an unusual, and must be coming down from the proPhpBB and phpBB gods above. It doesn't like "Enterprise" or "Kirov" but is fine with "Kiaga" and "Leonardo". It knows we don't have (until now) any mention of "phlebotomy". But it really doesn't like searching for "Todd". Don't ask it to search for "Kirk" or "Spock" but don't worry if you need to know about "Sulu" or "Scotty". And it keeps changing its likes and dislikes. But some are staying put.

I feel like we're coming up on Terminator Judgement Day. :o

Can't search for "dreadnought" either. Kinda weird, because you'd think that the number of restricted words would be pretty limited, like "the" and "and" and "a" and maybe a few dozen others at most--in other words, you would think that it would be set up to disallow specific words in a list of them.

Oh, what the heck do I know? The machine overlords are our friends. We should trust our machine overlords.

18 May 2012 11:12
Captain
Captain

zirconic wrote:
Can't search for "dreadnought" either. Kinda weird, because you'd think that the number of restricted words would be pretty limited, like "the" and "and" and "a" and maybe a few dozen others at most--in other words, you would think that it would be set up to disallow specific words in a list of them.

Oh, what the heck do I know? The machine overlords are our friends. We should trust our machine overlords.

Here: topic984.html No problem. ;)

18 May 2012 11:18
Reply to topic   [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next