View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:45

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Got something...not quite sure what it is, though 
VIP
VIP

Wow!

This design is looking really awesome!
Looks great! I like how this design looks from the front and rear views.
Top view is cool, too!
This is really developing well!
Keep up the good work!

20 Feb 2011 12:02
Profile YIM

That aft view is really nice looking. Love those subtle curvatures of the primary hull where it meets the shuttlebay.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

20 Feb 2011 18:39
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
Update time!

Plan and portside views:

http://img826.imageshack.us/i/markiiwip3a.jpg

Ventral, bow and stern views:

http://img607.imageshack.us/i/markiiwip3b.jpg

I've settled on a total of 8 phaser emplacements: three twin-mounts at the standard Achernar saucer locations, plus two single-mount aft firing banks on the saucer rim just forward of the hangar doors. In addition to the usual forward torpedo tubes, I gave her a single rear-firing tube at the stern of the engineering module.

Part of the reason this update took longer than expected was that I spent a couple of days refiguring her mass, and her abbreviated hull made this a fairly complicated task. Surprisingly, given the amount of saucer that's deleted from the overall layout, this new version is actually 5,000 tons more massive than the Mark I. Part of this is due to her increased beam. Also, six of the ten decks lie entirely outside the area of the cutouts and are thus intact. The rest of the increased volume comes from the revised hangar and engineering modules. When I blended them into the command hull sections, they went from strict cylinders to truncated cones.

Anyway, these are her current physical statistics:

Overall length: 237.274m (778.458')
Overall beam: 103.798m (340.543')
Overall draft: 50.586m (165.964')
Vessel mass: 125,000 metric tons (standard load)

25 Feb 2011 05:36

Very nice. This ship really has some nice lines to her. I really like the aft view. It's interesting you placed the aft phasers in those positions, as Aridas did something similar in his interpretation of 1701. I bet this ship would have some really interesting perspective views.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the glowing impulse engines, only because I usually don't associate those with TOS. Unless this is a late TOS build.

This has really come along nicely though.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

25 Feb 2011 13:34
Commander
Commander

It is supposed to be a late TOS-era ship, but I only colored the vents as a visual aid to draw your eye to the changes from the previous version. It's only for the WIPs; I don't intend to leave it there when I post the final versions of the images. (That should teach me not to post when I'm falling asleep; I thought I had mentioned that.)

I originally thought to mount the aft phasers on top of the hangar, as in the TMP version, but I realized I would have to add another set of phasers on the keel to compensate for the hull blocking part of the field of fire. That was leaning over a line I didn't want to cross. TOS-era ships aren't supposed to be as bristling with weapons as the later designs, after all. The location I chose seemed to be the best compromise. The edges of the cut-out sections are vertical, so I wouldn't have to worry about the overhang blocking part of the firing arc.

Something else I forgot to mention is that large viewport at the stern, beneath the landing target lights. The layout of the hangar as designed didn't leave room for the what is usually assumed to be the flight control room. Once I relocated the impulse engines to the sides of the engineering module, I decided to install a small flight operations room there. Trivia note: the viewport is the same size and height above floor as the window in my living room.

26 Feb 2011 02:02
VIP
VIP

This design is really coming along.
I am on the fence about the locations of the impulse engines.
It's just that it is an unusual location arrangement for a predominantly TOS era looking vessel.
The rest of this design looks fantastic!
My only other gripe might be the additional Star Fleet pennant on the sides of the hangar area.
It somehow doesn't really fit there well and looks redundant being so close, in proximity, to the pennant on the nacelles.
I am thinking either make that upper side pennants smaller or have a single pennant and move it to the top of the hangar area so we see it from the top view instead of the sides.
That might actually look cool.
Another nitpick, but this is just me, but how about moving the registry number and ship name closer together.
They look very separated from one another at the moment.
Great work on this! This ship really looks great!
Still awake...still sick. I can't seem to shake this bug!

26 Feb 2011 03:09
Profile YIM

MLJames wrote:
Something else I forgot to mention is that large viewport at the stern, beneath the landing target lights. Trivia note: the viewport is the same size and height above floor as the window in my living room.

Can you see a row of shuttlecraft from your living room window? Now that would be cool! :)

Mark

26 Feb 2011 14:48
Commander
Commander

Nah, just the laundromat on the other side of the apartment complex. :lol:

Nascence, the problem with the impulse engines is that if you remove them from the original stern location that I had them at, the shape of the aft section of the ship makes it hard to find a mounting point that isn't a departure from the TOS norm. The first couple of passes I made at the problem were closer in tone to the TOS era, but doing so left the assembly sticking out a good deal farther on either side of the hull. It was only by basing the size and shape of the mount roughly on the one from the TMP Enterprise that I could keep it from completely dominating the rear half of the design.

You're right about the spacing between the name and the registry number; it is excessive, and it does look funky. I changed the registry number to eliminate the admittedly goofy-looking curve from the original version, but after I finished with that I needed to take a breather from the computer for a while. I've spent so much time working on her this week that my wrist was starting to feel a little sore, and I haven't worked on the project since I put up the latest WIPs. I haven't finished tinkering with her by any means, but I did want to put up some snapshots to let you guys know where I was at.

27 Feb 2011 08:19
Commander
Commander

I'm really liking this keep up the great work :D

27 Feb 2011 16:10
Commander
Commander

Once more unto the breach, dear friends....

http://img19.imageshack.us/i/markiiwip4a.jpg

http://img813.imageshack.us/i/markiiwip4b.jpg

No really major changes in either set of images, but at this point in the process the devil's in the details. I resized the pennants on the hangar to something a little less ostentatious. Putting the forward torpedo tubes on the underside left the front of the command module looking a little bare, so I added three small windows to break up the empty space. I also added formation lights on either side of the hangar and deleted the blue glow from the impulse engines.

The major workload for this update turned out to be the registry. Since the registry number no longer follows the curve of the hull, I had to compute the elevation separately for each point on each character. Not hard, just tedious and time consuming.

I think this update just about does it for the design. I'm pretty happy with her lines as they are now, and I don't really want to clutter her up with bells and whistles just to keep tinkering . Barring any majorly great suggestions, I'll probably lock her down and post the final pages by the end of the week. Once again, I want to thank all of you for your suggestions; you helped me make a much better ship.

08 Mar 2011 04:34
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next