View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:45

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Got something...not quite sure what it is, though 
Commander
Commander

The old nacelles would really make the design. Your ship is perfect for the SFB world, a Trek like alternate universe where TOS tech lived a bit longer due to constant conflict, with linear systems being delayed, and becoming the basis for what we saw in the Starfleet Command game.

05 Feb 2011 17:05
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
I've been doing some work, based on suggestions aridas and Nascence posted. The sticking point right now is trying to figure out the best placement for the impulse engine mount. As I said earlier, I'd like to avoid building them directly into the rim of the saucer if at all possible. The other task I have to tackle is building a set of PB-47 views in the proper scale (the original drawings are done at the same scale as the original TMP blueprint set). The only engine from the FRS I've done on my computer so far is the LN-52, and I don't want to use linear engines on this design.

06 Feb 2011 09:31
Commander
Commander

I like Aridas' design for the USS Blaine.

12 Feb 2011 18:42
Commander
Commander

Well, I've finished the PB-47 drawings. Rather than do something slapdash, I made them as precise as I could. At the very least, it gives me a toolkit for any later work I decide to do in the Achernar era. I spent the better part of a week doing them, since I did the standard outboard view, bow and stern views, and separate drawings for port and starboard plan views. I also did the same for top mount (Saladin) and keel mount (Federation) uses as well.

As for the ship herself, I reworked the command hull/hangar module into a single unit. Right now I'm redoing the hull curves for the side and bow/stern views. Between redoing the command hull and broadening the saucer's beam, I need to recompute the curves for the deflector grid and the modified stern.

13 Feb 2011 10:55
Commander
Commander

Just a little bit of an update. I've uploaded a WIP of the provisional plan and side elevations:

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/3146/markiiwip.jpg

I need to correct the windows and some of the deflector grid due to the alterations to the hull. I also still need to nail down the placement of the impulse mount. I'm still 50-50 as to whether to mount it to to the aft saucer rim or to the engineering module. I've lowered the nacelle struts in case I settle on the latter option. I haven't done the detailing yet (and in any case, it would be hard to spot from the top or side), but the struts are going to be jointed as in the Surya class. Hopefully I'll get this done by the end of the weekend.

18 Feb 2011 07:17

I'm liking this design more and more as it develops. I really like the changes you made to the shuttlebay hull. It's definitely more intergrated with the command decks forward and really creates a nice set of curvatures in the top view.

Regarding the impulse engines, I'd personally place them down in the engineering hull. Not just to move them further away from the shuttlebay, but also because that aft part of the saucer might contain equipment for the shuttlebay itself. Stowage or turntable machinery, tractor beams, etc.

Hope your weekend goes well. Will be interested to see the results.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

18 Feb 2011 13:46
Commander
Commander

Thanks. I must admit, working out the curves for the hangar module gave me fits for a couple of days. Having a bad head cold for most of this week didn't help matters, either. I've been working on the stern view today, so I should have another WIP up this evening.

19 Feb 2011 08:15
Commander
Commander

Your doing a great job keep at it

19 Feb 2011 09:30
Commander
Commander

Okay, the current state of the bow and stern views is up now:

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/5632/markiiwip2.jpg

I might tweak the exact measurements of the nacelle struts to mesh properly with the impulse engines, but that shouldn't change the basic layout of the struts all that much. As for the impulse mount itself, I've pretty much got the configuration of the worked out, so now it's just a matter of laying out the final data points. Once that's done, I can lock down the plan and side views. After that, all that'll be left is correcting the windows and the hull markings. More to follow tomorrow.

20 Feb 2011 06:23
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love it. I think you took the broken ellipse and made it better with the improved lines of the hangar and those nacelle pylons. I thought they'd be short enough to not need the second angle but you are right-- it looks much better this way. The smooth integration of the bridge into the hangar is well done, too.

I think you don't need to wrap that NCC on the upper saucer to the shape of the ellipse. That big hull number would serve both functional purposes and pride. For either, a more subtle circular wrap will work better primarily because it improves legibility.

Great job so far. I'm anxious to see the rest!

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

20 Feb 2011 10:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next