View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 13:17

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Happy Birthday Franz Joseph 
Commander
Commander

Happy birthday to him, and fond memories have I for the other FJ (Ackerman, that is..or was.)

02 Jul 2012 18:00
Captain
Captain

Drat it all! I've been on vacation and I didn't realize that last week was Mr. Schnaubelt's centennial!

Not that I'm anywhere close to done with his fleet (have to do tug and heavy cruiser yet) but I wish I had done something. But a remembrance, at least. Thanks, FJ!

06 Jul 2014 17:23
Commander
Commander

Its never too late Tallguy :)

07 Jul 2014 20:04
Ensign
Ensign

I am late on this as per usual, but here it is:

Sad to say, but the very first copy of the Star Fleet Technical Manual I owned... I colored in with Star Fleet code-appropriate colors. It was only after I started making crude audio recordings of Star Trek re-runs and throwing together hastily-drawn sketches of starships and equipment (then for my first-ever Star Trek fan club), that I began to realize the true nature and scope of Mister Franz's contributions in Treknical fiction.

Nowadays, that very same "colorized" copy has been cannibalized and tucked into a large three-ring binder which contains many fine examples of works which followed in the footsteps of the SFTM; a volume which I have dubbed "THE Book". A veritable bible of Treknology.

Thank you Mister Franz for your efforts and your inspiration for us all. Well done, sir!

09 Jul 2014 11:50
Captain
Captain

Here we are again!

It's been a year since I started moving house and nearly a year since I finished. Long enough to realize what I lost or got rid of that I didn't think would be important. My daughter asked me where the hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon is and I realized I had sold some of my Star Wars books. (SOME.)

But I still have three copies of the TM. Two paperback, one with the original slipcase cover.

I have several of my FJ renders as wallpapers on my computer at work.

Image Image Image Image

People often do a double take. They've never seen anything like it. So I get to explain what the STTTM was and who FJ was. It's fun.

Happy birthday, Mr. S!

29 Jun 2016 11:26
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love this. Henceforth Franz Joseph's birthday should be Treknology Day. No wait. Maybe Matt Jefferies' birthday. Oh damn.

That format is so full of possibilities. Neale tried to take it to the extremes it could encompass but was limited by his skills as a draftsman and the fact he was basing so much of what he did on other's work. FJ's TM format needs a coherent vision of the fleet that would be needed in the TOS universe. Not a catalog of what other artists have done.

However, Karen was gratified by Neale's work. And that makes me glad. She has seen her father fall from the godlike heights with which we held him in the 1970s to literal denigration. F#%k the naysayers. I love his work and loved the guy. Go Franz Joseph!

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

29 Jun 2016 13:50
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

June 29th: Treknology Day!

Jefferies gave us Star Trek, to be sure. But FJ gave us a universe. Whatever you think of the specific content and / or the accuracy to the television program, he created a new world based on Star Trek and the fan community RAN with it. Back in 1979 it simply made sense that FJ content would appear in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. References to his work was littered throughout official Trek publications all through the eighties. Anything that was not based on FJ had a legal rather than a creative reason to not do so (e.g. FASA).

It's sad and strange that Star Trek moved so completely past his work. But finding his work and other works based on it was a game changer for my Trek fandom.

29 Jun 2016 14:33
Site Admin
Site Admin

Star Trek Continues has tried mightily to be a fourth season of Star Trek. God bless them. And to be true to Star Trek I suppose you need to stick to Jefferies. But I swear it would have been cool to see a Saladin or Hermes or even a Ptolemy or SFHQ-like starbase. THAT defines an "after Trek" in my mind. That, and TAS.

And, I humbly admit, my Surya. *blush*

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

29 Jun 2016 14:44
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Just a heads up that this is coming up next week. I'm scrambling to get something done.

aridas, you working on anything FJ related? (*RUNS*)

21 Jun 2017 11:27
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, not me. I'm on summer vacation.

21 Jun 2017 14:21
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next