View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jun 2017 06:07

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
3 Posts=Spamming 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our forum is an online community geared to discussion. One way to tell whether you are discussing something or lecturing the members to the point of spamming is if you post more than three times. The lack of intervening posts means a lack of discussion, something that is deadly to a discussion community. Therefore, from now on I'm instituting a limit of not more than three consecutive posts by any one member. More than three will result in a warning and possibly, the thread being closed.

Let's try to encourage the exchange of ideas in both directions instead of just one.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

11 May 2010 14:15
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Should I stop writing my stories in the other forum?

12 May 2010 09:36
Site Admin
Site Admin

After you've made three posts consecutively, wait for input. If there are no other posts by the other members then you'll have to let the thread go.

You can always host the story on another site and post a link to it here, much as the visual artists do.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

12 May 2010 09:55
Profile WWW

Somewhat unrelated except maybe to if a thread is indeed closed, but is there a guide somewhere to what all the various topic icons mean? I checked the FAQ and didn't see one, but might've missed it.

Some are X's, some are circles, some have stars or lines that wiggle and others not. I just wondered.

Tried placing my cursor over them too, but it only show "new posts" or "no new posts".

Thanks.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

12 May 2010 12:40
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'll have to check that when I get back on a computer. I'm still w/o my normal set up after my move, so I'm working from my iPhone, which has some limitations.

12 May 2010 13:15
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay... I went to the phpBB forum and checked. These icons

http://temp.philcrumm.com/99151269cbb76 ... 511c28.png

have no standard, common meaning beyond what you might infer. Angry, exasperated, curious, embarassed, etc.

I know that some of the other icons do have meaning. The list refers to a post. If it has a star on the list I think it means you have posted in the topic. If the list is scrolling, I think it means there have been posts in the last (?) hours. Less than 24, more than 1. :oops: The thing that looks like a four leaf clover with an asterisk means the topic has been stickied or pinned to the top of the list.

12 May 2010 13:35
Profile WWW

aridas wrote:
The thing that looks like a four leaf clover with an asterisk means the topic has been stickied or pinned to the top of the list.

Actually, those are the ones that caught my attention this morning. Did you just stickpin those recently?

Some haven't had activity in a long time so I wasn't sure if maybe you were wanting to reopen them or something. I posted a good bit in the "DY's and Transport Evolution" thread, but sadly that one kinda went south and it all got buried. Was surprised to see it at the top of the list this morning with no new activity.

Was just curious. Thanks.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

12 May 2010 15:04
Site Admin
Site Admin

Some threads struck me as being rich with the kind of content that I thought would help people see what Todd and I were trying to portray in those publications (and since). So I decided to sticky them at the top of their forums. If anyone has any suggestions on other threads they'd like us to consider pinning, just send me an email.

12 May 2010 16:21
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

FYI, I'm still alive, just working on college painting for a December gallery.

26 Sep 2011 02:21
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd been wonderin'.

Where are you studying?

Come back and post a link to your painting when it is done. I'm sure everyone here would like to see what you've been working on, even if it is of a distinctly "terrestrial" nature.

26 Sep 2011 08:35
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]