View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Aug 2017 09:49

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Aridas & MastercoM: Interesting Points From Another Topic 
Commander
Commander

EliyahuQeoni wrote:
And even if stories were to focus on Kirk, I would like to see him in command of a different ship. It seems silly to have such an accomplished CO only attached to one ship. I would also like to see him get promoted. I never liked the idea that seems to float around that Admiral=desk job.

I think it has been a dis-service to the TOS characters that they seem to be static pieces or props more than real people.

Sure they occasionally get promoted or transferred, but they always end right back where they were before. Sulu seems to have lucked out on this score. But look at Chekov. Gets promoted, moves to weapons in TMP, promoted again and first officer on another ship in TWoK. Very cool. But there he is in TSFS, riding the navigation station on the Big E again. And in TVH, and TFF, and TUC. Spock seems to have had some career mobility, but is always Kirk's sidekick ultimately. Uhura and Scotty are pretty-much married to thir respective jobs. And so forth.

Starfleet sohuld be moving these folks around, promoting them on a regular basis, etc. If for no other reason: these people have experience and knowledge that needs to be spread around the fleet, not kept in one place. No one is that freaking awesome.

21 Nov 2011 15:51
Ensign
Ensign

Mysterion wrote:
EliyahuQeoni wrote:
And even if stories were to focus on Kirk, I would like to see him in command of a different ship. It seems silly to have such an accomplished CO only attached to one ship. I would also like to see him get promoted. I never liked the idea that seems to float around that Admiral=desk job.

I think it has been a dis-service to the TOS characters that they seem to be static pieces or props more than real people.

Sure they occasionally get promoted or transferred, but they always end right back where they were before. Sulu seems to have lucked out on this score. But look at Chekov. Gets promoted, moves to weapons in TMP, promoted again and first officer on another ship in TWoK. Very cool. But there he is in TSFS, riding the navigation station on the Big E again. And in TVH, and TFF, and TUC. Spock seems to have had some career mobility, but is always Kirk's sidekick ultimately. Uhura and Scotty are pretty-much married to thir respective jobs. And so forth.

Starfleet sohuld be moving these folks around, promoting them on a regular basis, etc. If for no other reason: these people have experience and knowledge that needs to be spread around the fleet, not kept in one place. No one is that freaking awesome.

Exactly. And I understand that the realities of doing an ongoing TV or movie series make the creators want to keep the familiar crew all together, there is a tendency in the Trek literature (official and otherwise) to continue this when it isn't necessary. For instance, I've seen several books that show the whole crew assigned to the Enterprise-A for the entire time gap between TFF and TUC. I would prefer to have seen these officers move on to other assignments only to be drawn back together by the request of Cpt Spock for the special mission he volunteered Kirk for (Which seems to have been the original intent anyway). And the stagnation goes beyond that. Sure, in TUC Sulu is now a Starship Commander in his own right, but I've seen Trek Lit books that show him still in command of the same ship 20+ years later! That makes no sense to be, even if he remained a Starship Captain and wasn't in the Admiralty by then--which I can accept--why would he still be assigned to the same ship for that long?

21 Nov 2011 16:02
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6