View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:32

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Aridas & MastercoM: Interesting Points From Another Topic 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
But, for the sake of argument, let me ask you this: Let's accept TMP as the last piece of official Star Trek. Where do you take that status quo? Where do you move the story and characters next? folks here at FRs come up with alot of really cool ships and toys, but where's the story to go with them. IMO one is going to drive the direction of the other, and alone neither aspect is really complete. One of the things that was good about the Ships of the Starfleet books was the little scraps of story nestled in between the tech specs that implied there was a universe to go with the spiffy starships.

Good point. And I absolutely agree. Speaking only for myself, I'd

1) never see another ship named Enterprise (except maybe in background chatter),
2) establish that Kirk retaking command and getting a second 5YM was unprecedented and unlikely ever to happen again,
3) have stories that dealt with the other parts of the Fleet, anthology style -- on a ship running convoy duty near Kzin space in the inner subquads, a PA wplfpack engaging a Klingon force and the SCS that saves the day, another 5YM heavy cruiser beyond the frontier, a ship assigned to a remote planetary defense force, etc.
4) Everything would be based on TOS, but just a richer, more detailed and magical TOS. The tech around every corner would be just as awe inspiring (but to the crew, commonplace) as the first time we saw someone use the transporter.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

11 Oct 2009 15:19
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
Good point. And I absolutely agree. Speaking only for myself, I'd

1) never see another ship named Enterprise (except maybe in background chatter),
2) establish that Kirk retaking command and getting a second 5YM was unprecedented and unlikely ever to happen again,
3) have stories that dealt with the other parts of the Fleet, anthology style -- on a ship running convoy duty near Kzin space in the inner subquads, a PA wplfpack engaging a Klingon force and the SCS that saves the day, another 5YM heavy cruiser beyond the frontier, a ship assigned to a remote planetary defense force, etc.
4) Everything would be based on TOS, but just a richer, more detailed and magical TOS. The tech around every corner would be just as awe inspiring (but to the crew, commonplace) as the first time we saw someone use the transporter.

I agree with you pretty-much completely depending on how you mean "magical" in your fourth point. Points 1 and 2 are especially appealing, and I would add that there would be NO letter-suffixes on registry numbers. Ever. Point 3 brings an idea for the board here to mind: how about a sub-section of the Creations category for prose-fiction where folks could start developing the "story" parts of the FRS universe as oppossed to the "tech" focus in the rest of the board? Just a suggestion on my part, not trying to tell you how to run the board or the the FRS in any way.

11 Oct 2009 15:40
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Hmmm.

I think an anthology would be better. If doing a series again, have it massive. It would be more than the ship of the week, but would show us more of what goes on in TOS.

For example; for a few weeks follow the crew of an Independence class armed freighter.

Then go to a Destroyer...

Then a Star Base.

It might take ten or twenty of these story line changes before one would see how they tie in together.

In other words not just one crew and one ship, but many crews, and ship and other things.

11 Oct 2009 17:16
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mysterion posted:
Quote:
Point 3 brings an idea for the board here to mind: how about a sub-section of the Creations category for prose-fiction where folks could start developing the "story" parts of the FRS universe as oppossed to the "tech" focus in the rest of the board? Just a suggestion on my part, not trying to tell you how to run the board or the the FRS in any way.

Suggestions are always welcome. I might not always adopt them, but I always want to read them. In this case, I absolutely agree and always intended "Creations" to mean much more than tech drawings. That's why I chose "creations" and not "art". Music, writing... hell, I even want to see your version of a starship cake. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that and hope that hasn't kept people from posting fiction based on their take on the FRS-SotSF universe.

So please... get writing! 8-)

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

11 Oct 2009 20:07
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
So please... get writing! 8-)

Roger that. But remember, you asked for it. :)

11 Oct 2009 20:37
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Technology wise, I really have to wonder where the first problems come in. Was there really a problem with the Genesis Device as presented in Trek: II? Certainly the technology isn't inconsistant with what we've seen by that point, with the only real difference being a matter of scale. Certainly there's nothing wrong with the Regula One station or the Reliant.

I also know that there are some aesthestic disagreements with the Excelsior, Oberth and Spacedock as shown in Trek: III, but is there a problem with the technology. Even if Transwarp is argued against, we're never shown that transwarp is anything more (at the time) than 'more warp!'. Where's the real technology issue here?

The remaining Trek movies don't show any new technology at all. Is the real objection just over the inclusion of the Enterprise-A and maintaining the NCC-1701 honor? That seems to be perfectly suited to the bureaucracy of Star Fleet, and was a casual nod to the fans. It's hardly a 'game breaker' in what the world of Star Trek would deal with.

Really, the first real problem with Treknology that I can think of is the replicator from TNG and up... but I never understood why "The Motion Picture", usually regarded as a low point in Star Trek's franchise history, should be considered the 'capstone' of the saga.

07 Sep 2010 10:37
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Tallguy wrote:
I never bought the idea of fighters in Star Trek. Never mind the "it's too Star Wars".

Eh, there's no reason that fighters can't be in Trek, just remember what role fighters actually play in a military situation and they work perfectly fine in the Federation. (Indeed, one of the first alien ships we see is an Orion fighter rigged for a kamikaze attack.)

Remember, a fighter's role is to get in, throw it's firepower, then get back out. They are not supposed to stand toe-to-toe with capital ships, which is an insanity everyone harps on. They are not just mini-starships. They perform a different role and are used in different ways.

With that in mind, it's also why we don't see them much in Star Trek - it's not that kind of story. You really wouldn't use a carrier to perform the roles of the Enterprise. That's just not what the show's about, but it doesn't exclude whatever else is needed by the Federation, either. In other words, just because you don't see the US Army in Top Gun, you're not supposed to assume that it doesn't exist.

07 Sep 2010 10:47
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Vangard! Good to hear from you again. Very good indeed, you have been sorely missed.

07 Sep 2010 12:50
Ensign
Ensign

aridas wrote:

I remember reading many years ago in one of those Sci-Fi magazines (Enterprise or Cinefantastique or something) that FJ proposed that very idea to Gene Roddenberry but I don't remember how it was received. That would have been awesome! Imagine where ST would be today?

Vanguard wrote:
Eh, there's no reason that fighters can't be in Trek, just remember what role fighters actually play in a military situation and they work perfectly fine in the Federation. (Indeed, one of the first alien ships we see is an Orion fighter rigged for a kamikaze attack.)

Remember, a fighter's role is to get in, throw it's firepower, then get back out. They are not supposed to stand toe-to-toe with capital ships, which is an insanity everyone harps on. They are not just mini-starships. They perform a different role and are used in different ways.

Indeed, you wouldn't use an F-14's 20mm cannon to take out a cruiser or carrier, thats what missiles are for. In trek a fighter would carry torpedos or mines and could be used for recon, patrolling, sensor jamming and so on. Maybe even be used for ground support or in COIN operations.

23 Sep 2010 00:46
Ensign
Ensign

Mysterion wrote:
I agree with you pretty-much completely depending on how you mean "magical" in your fourth point. Points 1 and 2 are especially appealing, and I would add that there would be NO letter-suffixes on registry numbers. Ever.

I would have to agree with that. I can almost accept NCC-1701-A as a one off tribute to Kirk and his ship, but 1701-B, 1701-C, 1701-D, ad nausium just seems strange to me. Generally you honor a ship by naming other ships after it, not by recycling its registry. That would be like having the current USS Enterprise be CV-6-A, which just seems silly to me.

And even if stories were to focus on Kirk, I would like to see him in command of a different ship. It seems silly to have such an accomplished CO only attached to one ship. I would also like to see him get promoted. I never liked the idea that seems to float around that Admiral=desk job.

18 Nov 2011 21:23
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next