View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Aug 2017 09:49

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Aridas & MastercoM: Interesting Points From Another Topic 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Triton wrote:
The back story of the Arcturians was the creation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture Costume Designer Robert Fletcher and Make-up Designer Fred Phillips. If I remember correctly, the information appears in The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Susan Sackett in which Robert Fletcher's notes about the alien races are reprinted.

Fletcher was also interviewed in the March 1980 issue of Fantastic Films magazine.

Yep. That was it. I knew Roddenberry had something to do with it. That was the only other book he had a hand in writing for that film.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

09 Oct 2009 21:30
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
Triton wrote:
The back story of the Arcturians was the creation of Star Trek: The Motion Picture Costume Designer Robert Fletcher and Make-up Designer Fred Phillips. If I remember correctly, the information appears in The Making of Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Susan Sackett in which Robert Fletcher's notes about the alien races are reprinted.

Fletcher was also interviewed in the March 1980 issue of Fantastic Films magazine.

Yep. That was it. I knew Roddenberry had something to do with it. That was the only other book he had a hand in writing for that film.

He also personally signed off on all of Fletcher's and Phillips's notes as well, so it's "as good as gold" really.

-Willa Cather
SHADOWS ON THE ROCK

10 Oct 2009 03:24
Captain
Captain

Theodore wrote:
He also personally signed off on all of Fletcher's and Phillips's notes as well, so it's "as good as gold" really.

Just like Franz Joseph's stuff!

(I tried to resist. I was weak.)

10 Oct 2009 11:14
Commander
Commander

Got to be said:

Anything coming from roddenberry needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

When it comes to Star Trek in particular, he was contradictory and by the time of TNG quite revisionist toward his own work (something that has spread in the way people are treating TOS these days (and I don't mean re-doing the special effects)). Not only toward his own work on Trek, but toward the contributions of others to Trek as well.

The best we can ever hope to do, IMO, is reconcile some of the flaws and inconsistencies in the Star Trek canon/continuity. And we must also face the fact that some of them will not be reconciled.

10 Oct 2009 14:59
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The best we can ever hope to do, IMO, is reconcile some of the flaws and inconsistencies in the Star Trek canon/continuity. And we must also face the fact that some of them will not be reconciled.

Or go back to treating TOS as the foundation and everything else as apocrypha that can be added or subtracted as we wish. That sure reduces the number of inconsistencies to deal with.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

10 Oct 2009 17:12
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
Quote:

Or go back to treating TOS as the foundation and everything else as apocrypha that can be added or subtracted as we wish. That sure reduces the number of inconsistencies to deal with.

Sure you could do that. But you'd be throwing out a lot of good stuff with the crap.

But, for the sake of argument, let me ask you this: Let's accept TMP as the last piece of official Star Trek. Where do you take that status quo? Where do you move the story and characters next? folks here at FRs come up with alot of really cool ships and toys, but where's the story to go with them. IMO one is going to drive the direction of the other, and alone neither aspect is really complete. One of the things that was good about the Ships of the Starfleet books was the little scraps of story nestled in between the tech specs that implied there was a universe to go with the spiffy starships.

I've asked other folks this same question and they usually fall into the trap of trying to re-write everything that came after TMP rather than actually moving ST into a different direction (i.e. you still end up hearing about Borg and Cardassians and such, but just with different labels). Granted it's really hard to erase all that other stuff from your mind having been exposed to it for over 20 years. But, I think it's an interesting thought experiment to put yourself back into January 1980 and try to imagine where things might have gone.

10 Oct 2009 17:38
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well the warp twelve warp drive does change a few things.

Lets see, it means that from a military point of view that the Federation's star ships can get to more places, in a more timely fashion. This means that being "the only ship in the quadrant" isn't such burden.

Then there is cost. The developement of a new gneeration of warp drives means that costs will be reduced across the board. This means more ships. Which further reduces the above burden.

But higher warp factors means that ships would be going out farther, thus at some point achieving a balance for both of the above.

Duotronic II computer systems most likely mean that sensors have better resolutions, thus causing ships to be able to detect from farther away 'problems'. This means that more time can be spent upon looking at the problems, before doing something about them, which means that crews will have a better time handling these problems.

Which overall that the Federation will have a better grasp on what is going down at any one time and/or place. Meaning that the Federation would be growing. That is, it would have an easier time proving that it is worthy of being joined.

The Klingons with their warp ten ships, couldn't compete. Further more unless they use Doutronic computers as well, they will be near sighted on their own interests. This means that the Federation will be pulling away from them. In other words, they are no longer going to be as much as a threat...

10 Oct 2009 19:05
Commodore
Commodore

well... i'd 'simply' reshuffle the majority of TNG DS9 VOY era's story mix... : )

- and move some of the episodes that had *cough* anomalous *cough* inferior Starfleet technology back into the timeline's past events... (especially VOY...)

- some episodes 'subtly' re-imaged to be set in the Pike era, or the TOS Kirk era...

- some nudged back to the TMP - ST VI era...

- and some filling in the 'missing years' between ENT - TOS [though i might run ENT though a repair/replace/re-write cycle]

- mostly eliminate the time-travel episodes... < LOL >

as to what 'actually' happens after TMP...

which threads of the storylines do you REALLY want/need to keep in that future??

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

10 Oct 2009 20:45
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

No, I think it better to start out fresh.

From TMP on.

For example; in the ST:TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder" it is stated that the computer takes care of maintenance automatically.

One can take this several steps forward. To like replacement of hull plates. To replacement of rugs that are too wornout. In othe words, the Enterprise-D should always be a brand new ship. If and only if the ship is completely destroyed would it be lost. But as long as a power system exists, it could repair itself.

But then the question arises as to when this ability arose. Not what the scripts say, but in logic.

As has been pointed out in SFM (whom is cellebrating its tenth year), once you have the transporter, then you have everything. In other words there are functions that can be done more easily with a repilicator, than any other way.

This is just one aspect.

The real question is, what comes after the warp twelve drive? Superwarp?(wf^4) Or something else?

What comes after Duotronic II? III?

And so on. With the question in the back ground how does our real world technological change affect ST? What does it show to be too weak in imagination?

10 Oct 2009 21:50
Commodore
Commodore

hmmm... a proto-TNG -- closer to what their original pre-production designs were like??

but maybe with the 1701-D closer in size/crew size to classic... : )
- automated & with some fully-functional hologram crew... ; )

would Starbases be more like that replicator repair station ep in ENT?? <minus the 'we need brains' aspects...>
- automated ship repair systems probably started in TOS - with full-up replicators widely used by the vejur era...

if you can have acceleration in warp, wouldn't simply going to WF15-18 be fast enough?
- or would they get a transwarp/slipstream/subspace macguffin that makes extra-galactic travel possible??
- re-scaling the setting, but keeping closer to TOS format & memes

probably a few generations of duotronics, maybe leading to bioneural/positronic systems?
- eventually someone starts a multitronic starship experiment again... < M6 vs. the 'scary' Borg story arc...>
- and more than one lonely pinocchio android in Starfleet - please... : )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

11 Oct 2009 01:43
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next