View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 25 Jun 2017 23:29

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Let's discuss Kiaga... 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The ship is named for the city. Or the girl's name. Who knows? (You'll probably be able to tell from the rest of the class's names.)

Or from the logo. Top, the TOS-era uniform insigne. Bottom, a comparison of TOS and 4YW-era insignia:

I'm still pondering which way to reflect rank on the 4YW era dress uniform. As you can see, this is the era where I was going to give a small nod to the TWOK uniforms. I started there, and slowly added more and more TOS touches until practically no TWOK was left. Here you can see what's left of the TWOK influence -- the epaulette strap on the right shoulder, and the rank device on the collar. On the other one I dropped the epaulette-strap and just went with the collar device. The idea here is black breeches with a division-specific stripe, black riding-height boots, and a division-specific colored dress tunic with awards and ship insigne on the left, rank designator on the left and right collar. This tunic attempts to straddle the TWOK and TOS look.

And here is the standard 4YW-era uniform. Charcoal breeches, black riding-height boots, black velour tunic with division-specific piping on the collar top and sleeve edge. "Cage"-era rank stripes on the sleeves and smallish "Cage"-era ship's insigne on the left breast. I guess this uniform, and the dress uniform above would immediately precede the "Cage" uniforms:

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

06 Jun 2009 13:22
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

that looks real nice for pre-Cage era uniforms & insigne

would the excursion/weather coat be similar to pattern of Pike era?? (maybe more charcoal/dark gray than dark blue-gray)

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

06 Jun 2009 17:17
Site Admin
Site Admin

I guess so. I have something worked up for that... A female Ship's Services officer. The jacket reflects rank on a "Cage"-ish epaulette on the shoulder. Division color is reflected in the dark red "girdling" seen on the sleeve, collar and front.

This could be accompanied by a hat similar to Pike's. Insigne for the hat would be as follows...

Here is a stab at a general Star Fleet insigne for the pre-delta era. it incorporates the star and the arrowheads. In one case, an Class M-ish background circle, in another it's rendered more as a shirt insigne, and finally w/o the circle. One of these would go on the hat:

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

06 Jun 2009 17:51
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

cool... : )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

06 Jun 2009 22:01
Commander
Commander

Ship's Crest (or variation thereof) for USS Kiaga?

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Image ... al&id=7827

The motto translates to: Let Us Go Forward Together

(In real-life, this is the crest for US Special Operations Command - Africa)

14 Aug 2011 00:00
Commander
Commander

I like your uniform idea that is 'TOS-to-TWOK'
there are some things of TOS uniforms that I like -such a stripes on the sleeves-nautical.
and some things from TWOK like rank insignia on the epaulets-all branches.

14 Aug 2011 15:26
Ensign
Ensign

Extremely well done. I can't wait to see all of this combined into one package.

I like the first uniform pic that looks closer to TWOK, but I would leave the movie style rank pins off and stay with the stripes.

10 Nov 2011 02:16
Commander
Commander

I had an idea on that the other day...
what if the stripes are only for personnel from Earth?
as a nod to Earth Naval tradition.
and if all the non-Earthers (bad grammar) get to use the movie style emblems ?
as they would have no connection to Earth's past.

10 Nov 2011 10:55
Ensign
Ensign

I respectfully disagree. Things would already be confusing enough with all of the different races and cultures under one unified command. To continually segregate Earth humans and place them on a higher plane would create animosity. The ranking system would be have to be universal, so you wouldn't have to memorize several different styles of ranks. Also, TOS and TAS only had stripes. I think it would create a break in continuity to have movie ranks (early), stripes (middle) and then back to movie (late) again.

As we get closer to TMP there might be a gradual transition in the ranking system. IIRC, in the TMP when Admiral Kirk steps off the air tram he is wearing a rank that resembles an admiral pin seen in later movies. When he becomes captain, its back to stripes.

10 Nov 2011 18:38
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I brought those TWOK rank devices in for 2240s era Star Fleet uniforms, I was using them as an equivalent of the rank devices in the US Navy. On some USN uniforms rank is designated with stripes on either sleeve or epaulette, and on others with rank device plus one or the other. My thinking was that those devices had been used in Star Fleet since its earliest days, and had been employed like the USN rank display-- with stripes. That makes the TOS-TMP period a modernization on the old way, eliminating devices for a simplified stripes only scheme, and anything like TWOK a reversion to a much older style. TNG then is another attempt at simplification.

10 Nov 2011 18:53
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next