View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:51

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Focus 1701 
Commander
Commander

I noticed that aridas added a "Focus 1701" section to the Federation Reference web site in which he posted two of his cross-sections of the NCC-1701.

I love the cross-sections. 8-) Are those Silent Running -style cargo containers being moved by the robot? I love the Von Braun bottle suit, the TAS managerie in the secondary hull, and the location of Engineering!

Wonderful work aridas! 8-) :D

02 Apr 2009 14:47
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you very much. I figured I'd better get it posted before it gathers too much dust on my hard drive. I hope it inspires some discussion and art that I can add to the section as time passes.

BTW, I moved this thread to "Discussion" -- that way folks looking to discuss what is going on here will find it..

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

02 Apr 2009 15:15
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

I don't think I ever saw this posted full size, all in one piece, and flipped right way around. Still looks terrific.

02 Apr 2009 16:11
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Well the primary hull is missing a couple decks. The computer core however, I think is correct - small in size. By comparsion the FJ prints have it ~60 feet in diameter.

I disagree with the location of the warp reactor - I think there should be two in each warp engine, at the very least. Reason: I don't want antimater reacting anywhere near me. I get a terrible sunburn don't you know.

02 Apr 2009 19:38
Site Admin
Site Admin

John N. Ritter wrote:
Well the primary hull is missing a couple decks. The computer core however, I think is correct - small in size. By comparsion the FJ prints have it ~60 feet in diameter.

I disagree with the location of the warp reactor - I think there should be two in each warp engine, at the very least. Reason: I don't want antimater reacting anywhere near me. I get a terrible sunburn don't you know.

The deck arrangement in the saucer is straight from Jefferies. It doesn't match what is in FJ or the description in TMoST, but only if you are looking for literally full size, full height decks. I count such things as the area above the bridge as a deck -- Deck 0. The lower sensor dome has two partial height areas that are also decks in this scheme. It all works out -- both with Jefferies' TMoST and Phase II cross sections, and with the official deck count.

I don't have the nacelle cross section complete, but each nacelle does have two large reactors. The one in the secondary hull is the one mentioned in dialog in "Day of the Dove" in which Spock says...
"Alien detected in the engineering section, near reactor number three." its function? I believe it is a small M/AM designed to support all non-warp drive needs. All STL propulsion, life support, etc.

I really should post the lengthy description I wrote up for the TrekBBS for this cross section.

I just need to find it.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

02 Apr 2009 23:08
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Okay, I found it:

Quote:
I'm doing these "sketches" to get my ideas worked out in flat form before I tackle deck plans. I just wanted to see if there was any point to trying to make sense of Matt Jefferies' "TMoST 1701 cross section in any greater detail.

First let's see the project as a whole as it stands at the moment. This one is just too big to insert inline:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/PH_IH_SH_Overview.jpg

When you are dealing with the Jefferies cutaway, the only way to get eleven decks in the primary hull is like this:

Deck 0 would be the area above the bridge. What I call the Navigation Suite.

Deck 1 is the bridge.

Deck 2 is the forward phaser room, subspace telescope, etc.

Deck 3 is the main briefing room, the deck 3 engineering station, crewman's lounge and rec room, and the space sciences lab.

Deck 4 are quarters, the command reactor, the first turbolift circuit around the upper saucer, and the maneuvering thruster.

Deck 5 is where the bulk of the quarters would be located, another turbolift circuit around the outer perimeter of the hull, the primary hull deflectors and their power relays, the dilithium assembly for the command reactor, and the upper level of main engineering. This is also where the impulse engines are located.

Deck 6 is the lowest deck of the outer rim, and the one that is cut off by the curvature of the underside of the saucer. It is accessed by ladderways and another turbolift circuit that originates in the aftmost junction with the dorsal. Forward is the primary deflector control room. As we curve upwards we are in the hydroponics section, then waste reclamation. Once we are on level deck again we are in the deck 6 briefing room. Then sickbay. At the center, in green, is the upper level of the computer core. Once we go down the aftward corridor aft of the vertical turboshaft, we see the main Jefferies Tube that services the negative energy conduits coming off that command decks dilithium assembly a deck above. We pass the entrance to the brig, then we enter the lower level of main engineering.

Next level down we are on Deck 7 in the lower primary hull. At the outer perimeter is a circular "promenade" hall that lines up with the portholes in that area. (everything lines up with the portholes as far as I can tell.) It is punctuated by several airlock stations that line up with the hatches in that area on the model. There are recreation facilities on this level, including a room that can be converted from a bowling center featuring games that combine holography and physical bowling, like Hyperbowl and Rocketbowl, to a perpetual swimming deck like this. That also serves as the rec room seen in TAS that gives rise to the later holodeck of TNG. Just aft of this area is auxiliary control (I know this is said to be on Deck 8, but as I said upthread, it is on the eighth deck down, and it is situated next to the computer core here, so I think it makes the most sense in this location). At the aft of this deck is the other part of that promenade hall.

In the dorsal part of Deck 7 is the primary impulse reactor and its backup. as well as those reactors' dilithium control station.

Next down is Deck 8. There is the main Weapons Control Room, and the Forward Torpedo Room. Aft is cargo storage -- different than the cargo modules in the secondary hull, this cargo area utilizes dodecahedron-shaped modules that nestle into one another and are beamed into place using the cargo transporters.

Next level down is Deck 9 and is accessed by hatch. There is the Main Phaser Array.

Finally, at the bottom is Deck 10, or the Lower Sensor Array. This array is devoted to planetary and biological sensors, while the one on top is devoted to astronomical and navigational sensors. Defensive sensors are a part of both arrays.

So, you see, taken this way there are eleven decks. Ten, plus Deck 0 at the top. This is the only way I can see to make the Matt Jefferies cross section drawing come close to matching dialog references, and what is listed in the description of the decks in TMoST.

Next I will post images covering what you see above in greater detail, in one-hundred foot snippets. Here's the first bit, from the bow aftwards a hundred feet:

We can see two features worth noting, At the bow is the forward deflector apparatus. This works with the main deflector to sweep unwanted debris out of the ship's path while directing desirable matter to collector vanes on the nacelles and behind the main sensor dish. Behind the deflector are a pair of momentum buffers, and behind that is the monitor room for the forward deflector array.

Behind the monitor room is the ship's farm, a ring of exotic growing beds that circle part of the saucer in this area. Growth of vegetable matter supplements the diet of manufactured foodstuff the crew is subjected to -- things like meatloaf that has been made to look like turkey. Just aft of the farm is an area devoted to waste processing and materials reclamation. Most of this is done in the secondary hull, but like most things on this ship there are redundant systems and smaller versions of the utilities that service the entire ship located in the saucer, to supplement the other systems and provide back up in case of saucer separation.

Here's the next hundred feet:

And a detail shot showing you typical senior officer's quarters:

You might be able to tell that as part of rebuiding this from scratch I gave the primary hull a double hull. For extra protection from all kinds of nastiness, including atmospheric entry. And because I see the hull as being even more of a structural element in the saucer than elsewhere. I'm going with Jefferies' attention to aerodynamic detail here, and guessing he might have had the saucer as more of a semi-monocoque structure. Thus the thicker skin.

The next hundred feet:

You see the bridge, the upper navigation suite, and the forward phaser room from "Balance of Terror". This was one of those "interpretations" I had to make -- I studied film clips and the forward phaser room bore an uncanny similarity to a particular space in the forward part of deck two. Plus, Enterprise is shown firing phasers from this location in TAS. I know she had been uprated to Achernar capabilities by that point, but I'd say those phasers are there during the early part of the five-year mission. The phaser room Tomlinson and his fiance are in at early in "BoT" is definitely different from the "phaser control room" he and Stiles are in at the end of the episode. I believe that room is at the bottom of the saucer, on deck eight.

On deck three you see the main briefing room -- the one seen in "The Cage" and WNMHGB. Forward of it is a head, and then a space of undetermined purpose (which I would be very happy to hear suggestions for). Strangely, this level was supposedly devoted to research and labs, but in dialog had recreation rooms 3 and 6, AND a crewman's lounge. I am having these three spaces at the aft of the teardrop, interconnected, as a sort of continuity with what later comes on the refit Enterprise class.

And a detail of the bridge:

Okay, here are decks zero through one:

The idea here is that the bridge is recessed per Jefferies' TMoST cutaway. There is a half deck navigation suite above the bridge -- not much more than crawlspace, really. But crawlspace with a magnificent view! There is a dual dome -- the outer dome is selectively transparent to all forms of energy, and instrumentation in that area is used to quantify and qualify what enters. The inner dome is a kind of electrochromic window, whose opacity can be adjusted by the introduction of an electric current.

Like this:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-impr ... window.htm

Inside this dome is the bridge security system, that can recede into the upper space when not being used.

You can also see the Geoff Mandel turbolift lifeboat from his "Enterprise Officer's Manual" here. I have adjusted it to be not as long, in order to fit in Jefferies' tubes and decks, and because the amount of storage space in these lifeboats runs counter to the kind of advanced technology I believe would be applied to the storage of shelters, foods, etc. In short, that stuff could be collapsed down to a very small size, for reconstitution when needed. Even the parachute he included would be something unlike what we'd see in a modern space capsule, instead being the size of a bedsheet that would expand to fill like some cartoon fabric (and would only be deployed if the antigrav landing system failed).

I want to point out that the phaser position on deck 2 is the reason for the 37° rotated bridge, or at least that's the way it seems at this point. The phaser power conduits run back to the area beneath the yellow and red hatch behind the bridge. Though I have this space devoted to a subspace telescope array to harken beck to FJ, it also has a power line running from that hatch that infers power supply or fuel hookup of some kind (probably at a maintenance facility). I did this in order to provide the command decks with an independent power supply, but also because that hatch has the same red and yellow high-visibility colors that are on the round hatch along the keel, and THAT hatch is pretty clearly related to fuel or power. The phaser conduits hook into this B/C deck line, and thus would run squarely into the turboshaft were it not for the rotated bridge. The only other thing to do would be change the turbolift position on the bridge to directly aft, and I am assuming there is a functional reason that is not wanted (possibly related to security, but also perhaps related to the optimal locating of the other stations).

As for the B/C deck, on deck two aft, is an engineering monitor station, with the hatchway to whatever kind of energy feed is here.

Aft of that room is the subspace sciences lab, with the subspace sensor array. It wraps around the engineering monitor station.

On deck three aft is the "engineering, deck three" place from.. what was it? "Corbomite Maneuver" I think. It has a set of crystals, an observation conduit like that seen in TAS (but obviously not that one), and it ties into the command decks reactor on deck four. Aft of the deck three room is the crewmen's lounge, mentioned in one of the episodes -- again I can't recall which at the moment.

This aft area of the B/C deck is pretty much dedicated to technical stations, except for the lounge and the two connected rec rooms to port and starboard. The other exception is the subspace sciences lab -- this aft section is dedicated to subspace sciences and houses those sensors, while the forward area has the space sciences lab, and ties into the space sensors located around the ship.

And a detail of the ventral sensor and main phaser array:

On this last image you can see the port phaser (it will end up being the starboard when the image is flipped). The design of the turret itself is based closely on this drawing seen on a monitor in "The Trouble with Tribbles."

http://www.trekplace.com/images/article10-pic002.jpg

and is tied into these details on the model:

All three of the main phasers are tied into the ventral sensor for targeting purposes. There are ladderways and hatches to access this area, which would be very, very interesting to visit. :)

Here is the next hundred feet:

And a detail of one of the areas depicted at the base of the interhull. This is the place where structural integrity is monitored:

Here is a complete overview including the nacelle. The only thing missing is the dish. Obviously I have to make this a link:

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/Full_Overview.jpg

A few more views:

The aft of the interhull area, and the impulse drive:

Along the top of the impulse "greeblie" is the maneuvering thruster. Below, you have the trapezoidal tunnel aft of engineering. At the aft are the impulse engines. The round ports are being treated as conventional thrust engines, while the rectangular ports are a massless propulsion system. Thus, you'll see multiple redundancies worked in -- the B/C reactor is dedicated to command systems and topside phasers, but also is tied into the part of engineering where the negative energy for these engines is developed. If the main reactor goes out, this can provide minimal impulse.

A visicom, and the dilithium monitor station:

The forward part of the secondary hull:

The deflector is very, very integral to this layout. It is composed of an outer and inner negative energy ring, powered by those Casimir cavities that look vaguely phallic. The middle ring is a positive energy ring. The three rings are designed to accomplish a fine-tuned gravitic manipulation of matter, sweeping unwanted interstellar debris out of the ship's path while drawing in, Bussard-style, the desirable hydrogen and helium atoms. Matter is stored in holding tanks that ring this deflector apparatus, and if enough matter is accumulated it can be funneled off into storage tanks at the top of the hull. From there it can be sent aftwards to the in-hull M/AM control reactor, or upwards to power the fusion reactors in the primary hull.

The deflector tanks and the ventral storage tanks are linked to a "four-dimensional reflector" -- essentially a "micro-universe in a box" in which matter can be brought in, reflected, and brought out as antimatter. It is my attempt to create a sufficiently advanced answer to the incredible inefficiencies of creating antimatter. So, it is essentially an antimatter generator in Treknical parlance, but it ain't no bevatron.

Once created, antimatter can be drawn downward into the antimatter storage pods along the keel. These pods can also be replenished at starbase via the AM access hatch just aft of the storage area.

Antimatter is pumped aft from the 4D reflector to Engineering, where it is conditioned for use in the M/AM reactor above. Matter is pumped aft from the deflector tanks, or the storage tanks, and enters the reactor from above. The products of the reaction are then pumped into the secondary hull's trapezoidal tunnel -- an energy distributor, if you will recall from the primary hull renders. From there they go upwards to the nacelles, or throughout the primary and secondary hull to power other systems.

The idea of this reactor is, among other things, to prime the nacelles for warp initiation. Once at warp, they balance the nacelles, making each work at maximum efficiency and preventing one from doing too much of the work. If an imbalance occurs, this reactor supplies the difference to restore balance. They also handle everything except warping space -- from laundry to photon torpedoes.

At least that's the way I'm thinking right now.

Along the top of the secondary hull, under the red stripes that proceed aftwards from the dorsal, are matter conditioners that prepare the matter for the M/AM reactor, bringing it to proper temperature, controlling fuel flow, etc.

You see some of the core structure of the ship here, both in the forward part of the hull and in the deflector housing.

The only other thing to point out is the hangar deck. It has been taken from the Phase 2 drawings, and manipulated a bit to keep it fully aft of the nacelles. The homing beacon is above, and the landing tractor is in cross section along the hangar's ceiling.

And the secondary hull amidships:

The secondary hull recreation room, modeled after one illustrated by Mike Minor for Phase 2. I always figured that rectangular looking room was in the secondary hull, and that it might have had a never-seen, very similar room in the pre-refit 1701. It is flanked to starboard by a small futuristic bowling area, and to port by a similarly futuristic multi-lane swimming "treadmill":

In the main lab, moving clockwise from the bottom left:

an Algorian tryambakam (that three-eyed pachyderm)
a Neural Mugato
an Alvanian Limix
an eel bird from Regulus V
a Capellan power cat
a baby sur snake from Argo
a Xelatan Svorge

In the small cages to the right are various interesting critters, including, in the middle cage, a few rapidly multiplying tribbles.

These cages are like primitive holodecks, employing holography and direct mental stimulation to produce the illusion of the animal's natural environment. In most cases animals need not be removed from their homes for study -- scans will suffice. Only when there is a pressing need for more detailed analysis is an animal brought aboard or, if necessary transported back to more extensive lab facilities.

Here is the next bit --

and a detail of the central secondary airlock area --

And here is a rough look at the way the finished layout might look. Sort of evocative of the old fan-published Federation Reference Series and the Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Evolution Plans --

And a sneak peek at the nacelle. Frontmost part first --

My understanding of how a space warp engine might, maybe, possibly work is pretty damn vague at best. But for what it's worth, it entails an intense gravitational source at either end, with an intense anti-gravitational source in the middle. My idea is that the warp nacelle creates momentary micro-massive singularities in the domes at either end. How it does this I won't go into, for fear of boring you, and because I might build this some day, and revealing my secrets would destroy my patent...

The forward dome is a bit different from the aft, because it is tied into Bussard "vanes" (the screw threads behind the front dome) that utilize its gravitational pull to draw in matter. Thus, we get the double whammy of having the old, FJ "spacetime jet" conception of the nacelle dome, without losing the "Bussard collector" interpretation that began with Geoff Mandel.

The matter collectors draw hydrogen into storage tanks, and also into a bigass version of the subspace reflecting antimatter generator that we saw in the secondary hull. Where that one was based on the idea of a tessaract, this one is based on a hypersphere. Basically I'm using painfully inadequate attempts to picture four-dimensional space to portray an "otherspace" where matter is taken in, "flipped" and emerges as antimatter.

This is the idea behind the antimatter generator:

And how it fits into a rough layout of the forward two-thirds of the nacelle:

Aft of this antimatter "producer" is the first stage reactor -- a giant version of the M/AM reactor in the secondary hull. This reactor creates plasma that powers negative energy cavities. The negative energy created in those cavities is directed into dilithium crystals that tune and "dimension" the beam before it is conducted into a series of warp rings (based on the design for the warp ring in one of Jefferies' ringships). This first stage involves one reactor and two pairs of rings. A second stage, with reactor connected to the first via the reactor loop we see on the inboard nacelle, powers a further four pairs of rings that are employed when attempting to perform more extreme feats of space warping.

What I'm trying to create here is something that is in tune with both fanon and canon ideas, and makes at least some sense scientifically. It also must look something like a predecessor of the TNG era ships, with their big warp "coils". My thinking is that what distinguishes those things from these is where the negative energy gets created -- in TNG plasma is directed into the coil. Something there mimics the effects of a ring of negative energy around a ship. In this, more primitive design, the "ring" employs the real article.

Here's the last hundred feet of the secondary hull:

Here is a detail of a previously unseen area of engineering -- this is where the pylons join the secondary hull. A network of visible supports tying framing into the secondary hull's core cross through this space, and there is a raised platform that allows access to the upper levels of the plasma transfer conduits where they enter the pylons. You see the low-g "Jefferies" conduit here -- a variant of the tubes found elsewhere. This one is a lot longer and would have a "sled" sort of like the "creeper" a mechanic uses to crawl under your car. An engineer would lay down on one of these things and it would take him up to the next airlock half way up the pylon. When you make this trip you have to wear the hazmat suits from "Naked Time" or the "Tholian Web" spacesuits. That's why they are conveniently kept nearby...

Finally, this is part of hangar area. Down deep, just forward of the "scallop" is a hatch that accesses an area that can either be used for cargo or as an adjunct to the hangar facilities. " This hatch opens to let "jugs" like this one exit. (We thus have three exit points from the hangar area -- the main egress and two hatches -- one on the scallop and one on the keel.) Properly called "workpods," these construction, maintenance and observation "bottle suits" would be another of the predecessors to the later "workbees" we saw in TMP.

Well... that should get you good folks all caught up.... ;D

02 Apr 2009 23:14
Profile WWW

Thanks sooooo much for posting this and the full size image! I remember when you were developing this and posting progress reports at the BBS. Always wanted to see the full thing. Was a good re-read again too...had forgotten a few things.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

03 Apr 2009 00:27
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Okay, now do your Doctorial Thesus on it. I am not joking.

03 Apr 2009 06:53
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Did I kill this thread?

03 Apr 2009 22:30

aridas,

I can't recall but did you base the basic external lines of this cutaway on any pre-existing plans (Casimiro or Sinclair maybe) or did you work them out yourself?

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

20 May 2012 21:54
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next