View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:54

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
The U.S.S. Wallman Hall 

Taking an opportunity to post my first Imgur images, fill in the temporary void in activity, and share something from my college years you might find interesting. Got to revisit my alma-mater recently and take pictures of my favorite building, which as you can tell from my sketch below always bore a striking similarity (to me) to the Archon/Horizon style design. The round building was our Fine Arts center, which I spent time in daily, and the attached rectangular portion was the aptly named Engineering/Technology wing. Both were connected by an interconnecting hallway. Walking through those hallways each day always gave me a sense of what it might be like working aboard a starship. Being largely underground, most of the classrooms lacked windows as well, which added to the 'illusion'. The sketch below shows the building as it appeared when I was there, if you were to 'lift' it out of the ground. (I guess in a way you can think of the photos as the ship crash-landed.)

Here are photos of the round "Primary Hull". The green UFO looking structure on the very top is the performing arts theater where Senior recitals, drama productions and so forth were presented. Centered on the front "Port" side of the building is the main entrance which always struck me as looking much like a TMP main gangway. I tried to get a better photo of the rectangular building as well, but it's below the roadway and harder to get a good angle. (By the way, the bluish portion on top of the Engineering/Tech wing is a recent addition (refit?) that's been added since I graduated.)

Some interior photos. Even the reluctant girlfriend of a Trek nerd couldn't help but notice the resemblance to our favorite style of construction. Walking these "Corridors" every day...especially when filled with other students...always gave me the sensation of making my way aboard a busy starship. The center most room of each floor was of course round, and all the outer classrooms had curved walls as well. Inside the large art classrooms, it was easy to imagine them being filled with scientific apparatus and medical beds instead of easels and tables. Unfortunately they were all locked that weekend.

Here's a shot of the "Interconnecting Dorsal" that joined the two buildings.

The aforementioned "Main Gangway". When I attended, the awning was much simpler and didn't hide so much of the entrance.

It's a little hard to tell from this angle, but this is a "Starboard/Aft" shot of the back of the Engineering/Tech wing, with the round Art building ahead. As I mentioned, the blue overhanging portion on top has been added sometime after I graduated. The original brown brick portion below gave the combined facility a set of proportions that were much more similar to Archon/Horizon than it appears now.

Finally, a shot of the interior of the performing arts theater, the greenish UFO at the very top. Actually this only shows a little over one-half. I believe the remaining portion was the backstage area.

I hope you all enjoy these, and will let me know what you think. Feeling a little nostalgic as I look at these, and recalling sensations that only folks like you would likely understand. It was a great building to have spent a lot of my time in, at a time when I was just getting back into Trek, first discovering books and blueprints by company's with interesting names like Star Fleet Printing Office/MastercoM/Starstation Aurora, and returning to drawing the sorts of things that would eventually become the "Federation Shuttlecarrier" chart and more. Definitely an inspiration at just the right time. Hope you smiled a little.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

11 Jul 2017 19:35
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fairmont State University? Having just been on those sets in Ticonderoga, these photos really resonate. Amazingly similar effect. I get what you mean, and the wood trim evokes the occasional use of wood on both the TOS and TNG bridge.

Did you study art there? Did you do any art while you were there based on those "sets"?

Thank you for sharing this.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

11 Jul 2017 20:20
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

That looks beautiful. Wow. Green. Sometimes I forget there are places colored like that. :)

Thanks for the share.

12 Jul 2017 11:48

aridas wrote:
Fairmont State University? Having just been on those sets in Ticonderoga, these photos really resonate. Amazingly similar effect. I get what you mean...

Yes! Although it was just Fairmont State College when I attended. The campus has roughly doubled in size since then. I’ve seen photos of the Ticonderoga sets and I see what you mean. Hope to see them myself sometime. Of course one thing that Wallman Hall added to “the effect” was that it was a full-sized building with several floors to walk through, and filled with around 200 people at any given time during the week.

Quote:
Did you study art there? Did you do any art while you were there based on those "sets"?

Yes I did. Fine Arts & Music in the round portion, and Graphic Communications & Drafting in the rectangular part. The latter was probably more beneficial to my Trek work actually, as I would have had no idea how to translate my designs into professional looking sellable posters without that training. Not back then when you had to use pen & vellum and work with a print shop.

None of my designs were directly based on that building, but what it did highly influence was my sense of scale. The dimensions and internal layout are very comparable to the ‘central core’ of “Enterprise’s” Decks 4-8 (assuming FJ’s 11 decks). So that helped convey a realistic sense of how much larger the entire saucer would be if that building were inserted into its center.

In hindsight however, that may’ve actually influenced my idea of the saucer being built around an original, smaller sphere that we’ve been playing around with. ‘Cause that’s kinda how I used to picture that building in my mind, and as I mentioned above I always associated the building as being more like “Archon” than “Enterprise”. So yeah, maybe not at the time, but years later it has possibly been the basis of something. :)

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

Last edited by Ahkyahnan on 12 Jul 2017 15:31, edited 1 time in total.

12 Jul 2017 15:30

Tallguy wrote:
That looks beautiful. Wow. Green. Sometimes I forget there are places colored like that. :)

LOL, yeah it was built in the 70s! Although looking back at those pictures, it looks like the dome/UFO has faded to more of a white than what it used to be. Or maybe repainted. Glad you liked it.[/quote]

Mark

12 Jul 2017 15:30
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would be cool to take one of those corridors and mess with it in Photoshop. Put crewmembers in, replace the bulletin board with those TOS stick-on details, change the wood to TOS colors... it would look cool: "USS Wallman Hall on Alert".

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

12 Jul 2017 16:01
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The corridor looks fine. Make me think about something else. I've once seen this Chinese building when roaming on the web. I don't know if everyone has seen it so...maybe is it a repost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4QWkgTyn1Q

12 Jul 2017 16:52
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]