View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jul 2017 12:41

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Franz Joseph changes the world 
Captain
Captain

It's quiet around here. (Too quiet.)

So this weekend I ran across my Doctor Who Technical Manual. From the early eighties. It was done as monochromatic line drawings of stuff like the TARDIS console, the police box, sonic screwdriver, Daleks, etc. I think it had the Earthshock Cybermen so after Peter Davison but before The Five Doctors and the last classic Who TARDIS console.

In other words, a Doctor Who approximation of the Star Fleet Technical Manual.

The wheels that got spinning in my head was this: 1) What other sci-fi series got "technical manuals" or "schematics" or "blueprints"? Official or otherwise? I seem to remember Lost in Space and Space: 1999. Star Wars and Superman actually published REAL blueprints for the actual sets! (I never had the Superman ones. I should track those down.) I don't know if Buck Rogers or Battlestar Galactica got anything of the like.

My point: Did ANYTHING like this exist before The Booklet of General Plans and the Technical Manual. We talk a lot about how FJ changed the face of Star Trek. But really, he did quite the number on sci-fi in general, didn't he?

11 Jul 2017 13:16

I know Space 1999 had one as I recall it being for sale in Starlog.

But I think you're right, nothing like that before FJ. Mind you I wasn't looking for anything like that actually in the years before FJ, but I can't recall ever coming across anything older.

FASA and the like followed his lead too.

Another interesting question is what real-world publications might've influenced FJ? (In the manner Norman Polmar for example influenced SotSF.)

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

11 Jul 2017 13:52
Commander
Commander

The only thing that I could think of that is pre Franz Joseph is DC comics layout or tour of the Batcave and Supermans Fortress of Solitude.

11 Jul 2017 19:09
Commodore
Commodore

well... there is a post FJ tech manual for Blake's Seven that goes with the Blake's 7 rpg... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

11 Jul 2017 19:17
Commander
Commander

I have an Airwolf Technical Manual. (might actually be a second copy ???)

I used to have the Doctor who Technical manual :( I would like to get another and build a console (of sorts)
(I used the plans in the back to make a TARDIS out of thin cardboard...whatever happened to it???)
do you know where I might acquire a second copy of the D.W.T.M. ???

12 Jul 2017 16:50
Ensign
Ensign

Where else but Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Techn ... 0394862147

I assume you mean the old classic from the '80s, of course...

13 Jul 2017 20:31
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Quote:
The only thing that I could think of that is pre Franz Joseph is DC comics layout or tour of the Batcave and Supermans Fortress of Solitude.

The only pre-FZ I know are nothing more than AMT/Ertl 1/650 TOS Enterprise model kit and those ST:TAS strange ships. One thing out of the Trek universe I would like to see is a Forbidden Planet reference about the C57-D cruiser for instance.

14 Jul 2017 14:10

Kelvin0514 wrote:
One thing out of the Trek universe I would like to see is a Forbidden Planet reference about the C57-D cruiser for instance.

There was a fan produced set of Forbidden Planet blueprints that came out in the 70s or 80s I think. You could probably find them on Ebay.

Also, I'm pretty Jackills produced a set of FP plans as well. They'd be for sale on Eric's website.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

14 Jul 2017 16:22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm going to see that later. Thanks, Mark!

14 Jul 2017 16:29
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]