View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:54

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Enterprise Cross Section 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want to get this up in some form so it is available. My posting of it was lost in the great forum tsunami of several years back. And now it appears the part of the Cygnus site where this can be accessed is hacked. So this is the direct image link. If anyone experiences problems with it let me know.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bl ... utaway.jpg

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 Jun 2017 12:28
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

For comparison sake:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bl ... heet-5.jpg

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 Jun 2017 13:15
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

No problems. I've accessed the picture. The CygnusX1 site has been probably hacked by those f***ing sh** wave of viral attacks.

30 Jun 2017 13:28
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is one more worth linking to:

http://ottens.co.uk/forgottentrek/wp-co ... robert.jpg

30 Jun 2017 14:01
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

This will be awhile - if at all - but I would like to do a stripped down, FJ-style, interpretation of my cross section as a finish to the 50 for Fifty project. Sort of a revisit to both the TM and the BoGP. I would like to make a few changes to my cross section, however....

30 Jun 2017 14:08
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Cool. That cross section is one of the most original things in Trek tech, IMHO. So many other things (even the fantastic ones) you can see the guideposts that pointed the way. I suppose the notion of a cross section certainly originated at least with Jefferies.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Since we collaborated on some of the deck layouts I've been thinking of how much of even the Enterprise we never saw. How much of it was bigger? How much of it was smaller? There's actually some things in (brace yourself) Into Darkness and Beyond that caught my attention. What parts of the ship would be fashioned for moving things larger than people? And what areas would be smaller accordingly? Roddenberry noted that there would be nooks and crannies that crew would figure out how to make use of and that some of it would be the same from TOS to TMP.

Even though Jefferies showed us a mostly regular deck structure what lies off the centerline? Here be dragons?

30 Jun 2017 14:23
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stopped by to visit Todd on the way south and last night mentioned one of my latest mad schemes - that many of the spaces we saw in TMP were there all along in the TOS ship, but were "decorated" in the TOS manner. Obviously the officers' lounge didn't have a big set of windows, and the big rec deck lacked those big windows. But there were corridors with angled walls behind which gear was accessible. I am even interested in trying to get engineering up under the pylons so some access might be possible between a cargo hold and the hangar. I am not sure how much is possible or applicable, but one thing I've come to realize from studying Jefferies' Phase II design is just how much those two ships are the same.

If I explore any of it, it will be at the end of the third season. It really depends on my tolerance for doong something that almost no one finds interesting anymore. Really just entertaining myself and a handful of you stalwarts at this point. Which is fine- it really proves who loved it and who just liked it.

30 Jun 2017 14:54
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

That sounds pretty much like being in the corner of a room to see one perspective and then go to the next corner to see another perspective : that always give me the impression it's not the same room but in fact it is. By doing this I acquire a better understanding of a panoramic environment. Multiple cross sections seem to go the same way as they're complementary views from different sources (sometimes with mistakes). According to me your cross section project reflects well that idea.
Something I always wondered is where are all those Jefferies tubes and where they go and meet.

30 Jun 2017 15:23
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
Which is fine- it really proves who loved it and who just liked it.

I have a problem. I can admit that.

I like that idea. As you say: The Jefferies Phase II is an update. And it's a fairly reasonable one. You can see how you get from A to B.

The TMP enterprise is also a reasonable update: From a look and feel. Almost everything has "thing" that is on the TOS ship and is also on the TMP ship. It's only when the nerds break out the calipers that it starts to fall apart. Probert has said that the only thing left of the old ship is a bolt taped to a paper in Scotty's office. That's probably too literal.

In my "head canon" as they say, there has always been a gangway on the port side of the saucer. It's just too functional an idea and it's the side we never saw on screen (more or less).

I wonder if there is anyway to get the forced perspective thingy in engineering to be the equivalent of the horizontal intermix chamber? Heh: What if that big red rectangle on the BC bubble is access to the officer's lounge?

On the flip side I'd be willing to let things move around. Maybe there was a rec deck but it was a single deck? (The TMP deck is supposed to be a change and Kirk is the first to have been able to gather his entire crew in one place.) Maybe the Officer's Lounge was a fancy thing, but not quite as fancy as TMP? (Me: I'm dying to say those big three circles up front aren't sensors because I want to put a rec deck there.)

So, Summer of 2019? :)

30 Jun 2017 15:27

aridas wrote:
I am even interested in trying to get engineering up under the pylons so some access might be possible between a cargo hold and the hangar. I am not sure how much is possible or applicable, but one thing I've come to realize from studying Jefferies' Phase II design is just how much those two ships are the same.

I haven’t had a chance to play with this idea myself, and it may make Bill scream (haha), but I’ve wondered whether the possible presence of that extended TAS shuttlecraft hangar you’ve speculated upon might lend itself to a refit history that smooths the transition we see between TOS and Phase II/TMP?

I have to admit I wasn’t thinking of it so much in terms of the TMP cargo hold/hangar having been there all along, but more that the insertion of a hangar extension during some minor refit might reduce the degree of ‘moving stuff around’ later during the major TMP refit. If you look at that Probert cutaway you posted earlier, the length of the hangar is roughly similar to the TAS extended version.

Also, the curvature of the ‘cove’ (or whatever one calls that ‘undercut’ below the hangar landing ramp) as drawn in TAS is somewhat similar to the less severe/smoothed out curve we see in TMP if I’m not mistaken.

I’ve wanted to play around with all 3 of these elements to see how they might fit together, but like I said haven’t had the time yet.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

30 Jun 2017 16:29
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next