View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:14

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Ships of the Star Fleet – Mentioned But Unseen 
TacFleet Liaison
TacFleet Liaison

Putting a call out to the incredibly comprehensive minds that frequent this site . . .

I have my own source material of course, but I’m wondering if any of you fine folk have compiled in the past a database or listing of the ships & classes that were MENTIONED in Ships of the Star Fleet but were never SHOWN. I’m talking about BOTH volumes.

It’s not necessary to clutter up this forum by posting entire lists here – you can either PM me or relay it through Aridas, whichever is easier. Corresponding details regarding numbers of hulls in each class, NCC numbers (since I know that’s very important to many of you ;) ), and applicable dates (service, commissioning, etc.) are also welcome.

As far as individual posts here are concerned, I would of course be interested in hearing which ships or classes (if any) strike a chord with you all – in other words, which ones you are the most curious to see.

For what it’s worth, and depending on how one counts these things (do I go with the Kirov and Kiaga as they stand now, for instance?), I came up with roughly 40 different classes when I did my check – with a few of those not even having been named.

It’ll be interesting to see if anyone has seen some that I missed, or vice versa.

“This concludes our proposal. Thank you for your attention.”

17 Jun 2017 17:57
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I'm very interested in so let me start. Here is a list of Ships of the Star Fleet oddities that sounds good according to me.

Excel (CS 2545)
Impervious (CS 2530)
Advance (CD 1981)
Andernach (CG 3112)
Nineveh (CKE 21050)
Lng'we Chi (CE 23005)
Amchitka (CL 1310)
Kresta (FH 1966)
Darter (FF 3213)
Decisive (FR 3231)
Ianetos (SS 710)
Amerind (ST 626)
Kovaris (DD 460)
Riga (CV 3340)
Kirsanov (PKA 1170)
Engage (PA 1125)
Agilis (PA 855)
Komsomolsk (DN 2600)

And the last three ones:

Ishtasse
Ashanti
Reigate

Even though I'm working on a Reigate class proposal for the near future.

17 Jun 2017 18:24
Ensign
Ensign

I'd be interested to see the cruisers mentioned above, specifically the exploratory and large exploratory ships.

17 Jun 2017 23:49
TacFleet Liaison
TacFleet Liaison

Thanks Kelvin. The Amerind is, I believe, a design by Aridas. Its profile exists on the Starship Recognition Chart as a silhouette – and I think Aridas has detailed the design elsewhere to a greater extent as well.

18 Jun 2017 01:42
Commander
Commander

I cannot stress strongly enough how much I'd love to see more Perimiter Action Ship classes detailed. PA, PKA, the whole ball-game! SotSF Vol 2 was an excellent piece of work. Would also be interested in seeing more detailed looks at the Ingram class space control ships and the various dreadnought classes which did not appear in the books.

So I gotta ask: is there a project you're working on, and when do we get to see it? :)

18 Jun 2017 11:08
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yesterday I went through 56 pages of your posts on the belief you had written something, sometime in the last nine years, that addressed Todd's question. I came to the conclusion I was conflating your posts about the details of Starfleet infantry and about PAs with this broader question.

Did you ever put together something about the various mentioned but undetailed ships and classes from those two books? Or was that another person?

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

18 Jun 2017 11:32
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:
Yesterday I went through 56 pages of your posts on the belief you had written something, sometime in the last nine years, that addressed Todd's question. I came to the conclusion I was conflating your posts about the details of Starfleet infantry and about PAs with this broader question.

Did you ever put together something about the various mentioned but undetailed ships and classes from those two books? Or was that another person?

There was that big list of ship names where I had filled in a lot of the blank spots from the Ships of The Fleet poster which you had posted on an earlier version of this website. (And of which I no longer have copy - if anyone has a saved copy please let me know!).

Sadly, I have not yet managed to produce anything more of substance about PAs (or other unseen ships) beyond my initial post detailing my take on PA Group organization. I seem to have been a one-trick pony on that front, at least to this point. I've got little bits and pieces of stuff that likely will only make sense to me and from which I have spared the internet from having to look at. Also, it didn't seem to be the kind of thing most folks were clamoring to see more of. Perhaps if I had a talent for graphic arts to go along with it...

Also, I've spent a lot of time being distracted by David Weber's "Honor Harrington" series of novels and the tech/naval organization detailed therein.

So, short answer: you're conclusion is unfortunately correct, Aridas.

18 Jun 2017 11:38
Commander
Commander

I have the Raw data from the web site saved and have been slowly cleaning it up as an Excel file I can Post what I've accomplished so far.

18 Jun 2017 11:55
Commander
Commander

Bernard Guignard wrote:
I have the Raw data from the web site saved and have been slowly cleaning it up as an Excel file I can Post what I've accomplished so far.

Please do! Appreciate the effort, Sir. It's been something I've wanted to re-visit, but did not want to have to re-invent the wheel as it were.

18 Jun 2017 11:59
Commander
Commander

Pm me your e-mail and I'll send you the file. The bbcode is too large to post in one shot. Still haven't cleaned out enough characters from the file :)

18 Jun 2017 12:36
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next