View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Aug 2017 09:53

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
JJ Abrams 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was watching that opening sequence from "Star Trek Into Darkness" with Enterprise coming out of the water to the astonishment of those primitive aliens and was struck by just how a man who had such a completely screwed up understanding of Star Trek, its universe, and its characters, could have gotten a few scenes so completely and totally spot on correct. The Young Spock scenes in his 2009 "Star Trek" and this part of its followup rise to the level of some of the best Trek ever made, but they are unfortunately mired by being glued to such drek. Even Kirk's boredom with the day in, day out business of the ship's five year mission, portrayed in Abrams' successor's film, highlight an aspect of Star Trek that was rarely shown but were very human and ultimately lent a great deal of reality to - in the case of the original - an episode like "The Corbomite Maneuver".

Glimmers of diamonds in piles of steaming fecal matter. Quite the contrast. Thank goodness for snippets.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

09 Jun 2017 15:13
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

First off, give me a moment to recover from the sight of a thread on JJ started by aridas.

The teaser to Into Darkness is the best Star Trek made in nearly 50 years. And I LOVE TMP and TWOK. It's Indiana Jones and the Prime Directive. It's balls out action that makes you ponder. This and TNG have made me despise the Prime Directive.

It's a lot of "Why would they do that" mixed with "Dude, it's the 23rd Century, why WOULDN'T they?" SCUBA SHOES! C'mon! That's AWESOME.

As a not fan of the JJ-prise I have to say my heart caught in my throat when I saw her in that scene. (Teased out just like in TMP.)

Spock and Uhura are adorable. I like the relationship because 1) it's plausible going from TOS and 2) it's an actual change to the timeline. This was the level of tap dancing they needed for the whole film. The rest of it went from "Aw, they're dating" to "You can't act like that at work." And Uhura has almost nothing to do except be Spock's Girlfriend.

Oh, and it nailed every character's intro. I think the only sequel that did as good a job of re-introducing The Gang was Return of the Jedi.

DAMN they attached it to a terrible movie.

Beyond is a hell of a film. It tries really hard. I think it pays of on the promise of The Kirk that Pine gave us in '09 and didn't get to give us in Into Darkness.

Yes, the beginning is a wonderful "Hey, we're not always on a thrilling adventure." It was great the way they plausibly showed that James "I AM MY SHIP" Kirk might want something else or get bored. It showed that as much of a "family" these people are, they are still people doing their jobs. Oh, and the whiskey scene was my favorite scene in the movie. My favorite McCoy scene in the Kelvin films (by far). Do yourself a favor and go find the bloopers of that scene. I also liked what it said about Chekov.

The end of the movie is too frantic. The middle is pretty much frantic enough. They actually took their time getting the Band back together. And we got the first decent Spock / McCoy scenes in 47 years.

Best "lets kill the Enterprise" ever. I actually feel like Kirk is worried about 9000 people (that's the compliment of the JJ-E, right?) instead of 6.

I hate the "message". But it's modern Star Trek. That's baked in. (Discovery will give me seizures I have no doubt.)

I love Yorktown. I dislike most of the details but I love the idea. There are some smaller areas that I love. When Spock meets the Vulcans in that huge shadowy space, I like that. I like the attempt but it's a tad too Tomorrow Land.

Oh, and I came up with the idea of building the Enterprise in time lapse back in 2006. Didn't do anything with it, so my bad.

09 Jun 2017 17:10
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sure you've seen this image by Nick Acosta:

http://payload356.cargocollective.com/1 ... 1340_c.jpg

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

09 Jun 2017 18:28
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]