View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:38

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
On Minimalism and the Original Star Trek 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not bad. He gets a lot right:

http://brightlightsfilm.com/minimalist- ... -look/amp/

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

03 Jun 2017 00:56
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Minimalism is an architectural concept often used for new buildings interiors : white and gray walls with right angle and almost nothing else for decorations.
I'm born in the 80's and sometimes I remember 80's TV shows with old fashioned computers for instance. There is a kind of amusement to see how we imagined the future at that time and how it finally came out. The design is just an empty nutshell without any atmosphere. So, what I appreciate in the TOS show and in any other 60's series is the depth of humanism I cannot find in today's series. Perhaps is the "look" more important than morality now?
What I imagine as a good TOS look by the modern standard technologies is close to what we see in ST:ENT:"In a Mirror, Darkly" aboard the U.S.S. Defiant NCC-1764, but that is just my opinion. That's why I'm a bit embarrassed by the new Discovery look.

03 Jun 2017 04:50
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think the "in universe" way to imagine all those hard edges and imaginative lighting is to relate the two. In other words, the surfaces are "alive" in the sense that they react to stimuli in different ways. If a torpedo hits and you go flying into the bridge railing or console edge, it softens on impact and then immediately reasserts its previous hardness. This is a kind of future technology that is entirely conceivable, supports the minimalist design aesthetic, makes sense from a "need" perspective, and would be jaw-slacking impressive to see portrayed inversely proportional to the way CGI has rendered most SFX yawn worthy. Chairs that reform to support the sitter, walls that can become starlit fields or forests or can display needed information. The big blank spaces that aesthetic implies when coupled with the background hum and multi colored gel lighting tells us the ship is a living, caring character, so it should be alive in an appropriate sense.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

03 Jun 2017 12:33
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Yes, it is convincing enough as I consider any starship as a character. And I curiously consider the model kits I build as well. :D I meant that the minimalism in TOS was compensated by the depth of morality and the story in an allegoric sense. In a humoristic way crew members are like bacteriae in Enterprise's bowels. This is kind of V'ger-like vision of the show.
If 60's producers have gathered enough money they'd have done more for clearness and resolution like on "2001, a Space Odyssey" for instance. I don't think it was their goal at that time.

03 Jun 2017 14:24

I remember reading that article when it came out. A very interesting analysis and argument.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

06 Jun 2017 12:54
Commodore
Commodore

it would be interesting to see a modern series using a minimalist design esthetic for ship interiors, props, costumes, and lighting... yet with a more complex naturalist or romantic approach for presenting the planets... : )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

06 Jun 2017 17:09
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes. And the minimalism explained by the fact the technology is so advanced, it doesn't need to be any more complex.

06 Jun 2017 17:13
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]