View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 05:51

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Gary Kerr's New Bridge Comparison Diagram 

Apparently, Gary Kerr just posted this drawing on Facebook yesterday. Was curious if anyone has any particular thoughts after looking it over.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

25 May 2017 13:25
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

WOW!

I knew there were differences, but that many?

Going with the third, we are seeing a compaction of technology, with in the forth an expansion due to additional equipment.

25 May 2017 17:20
Captain
Captain

Huh.

The one that gets my attention is the "post Tribbles" version. Now I'm going to have to look and see what other shots that baby shows up in.

I never hear anyone mention the handful of shots that appear post-Tribbles. (Not saying no one knows or talks about it, just saying I haven't heard or read it.) Were they taken before TTWT? During? TTWT is consistently mentioned as the last time the E went before the cameras. And it seems to be based (entirely?) on the one aft shot approaching K-7.

Well that modified bridge gives us another data point. If you can see the bridge you (not me, you) might be able to identify if it is a "post Tribbles" ship.

26 May 2017 11:09
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did he cite his sources for thst information? I know I've read somewhere that the 11-foot model actually was filmed once in the third season. I wonder if that really happened and is the place this other dome shows up.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

26 May 2017 11:32
Profile WWW

aridas wrote:
Did he cite his sources for thst information? I know I've read somewhere that the 11-foot model actually was filmed once in the third season. I wonder if that really happened and is the place this other dome shows up.

Doesn't mention sources specifically but gave some background. I'll look it up and reproduce when I can.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

26 May 2017 12:18
Commander
Commander

Thank you for this find.

28 May 2017 17:13

Some of Gary's comments:

"Finally finished - all views of all versions of the TOS Enterprise bridge, redrawn from scratch, using all my latest references. Now to see if my legs still work..."

Regarding post-Tribble dome: "If I had to guess, I'd say the original dome broke, melted, or was lost, so they had to cobble together a replacement, using a dome with a smaller radius."

Regarding how much more the Enterprise was filmed after Tribbles: "Offhand, I'm not sure. We never found any data on the filming dates of each spfx sequence."

"The turbolift shaft has been green since 1966. What we didn't realize till relatively recently is that the Pilot turbolift was off-white."

"The colors were so desaturated by trips through the optical printer that the turbolift didn't really "read" as green onscreen."

"Nope, we saw a viewscreen. The "window" on the exterior was the wrong size & proportions - almost 16 ft wide, 6 ft high, and slanted inward. The lighted "window" was simply a failed experiment, but they couldn't afford to waste any of the test footage."

Regarding "lip" around base of pilot version: "It's a o.098" thick Plexiglas disk, with the wooden bridge glued to it. You can see it during the zoom shot at the beginning of "The Cage". When Datin sliced off the top to make the Production bridge, he glued a 0.118" Plex disk to its bottom."

Mark

28 May 2017 18:22
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pre- and post-Tribbles versions comparison is somewhat interesting. It is perhaps the only difference I didn't notice on any pictures.

30 May 2017 10:48
Captain
Captain

Gha! Facebook!

Thanks for posting these, Mark.

For some of the paint details there's a funny part of me that says "I don't care!" (The rest of me is totally obsessed.)

For all the research and revelations of the Smithsonian project the primary "mission" of an Enterprise reproduction has not changed: Make it look like the show. Sure, now with this new information you can replicate some more of the considerable artistry that went into our favorite 11 foot chunk of pine. (I added one particular newly discovered "Jefferies-ism" to the Surya and will continue to do so on other Fed ships going forward.) But as noted by Kerr, some of this detail was never visible even when projected on a big screen at Desilu!

The flip side of this coin is that there are "holes" created by the medium that we can fill in on a "real" ship. I've mentioned before that I am amused and fascinated by the story of the "In a Mirror Darkly" bridge set. They blinked on detailing the bridge. They didn't think modern audiences (even of Enterprise) could accept the featureless buttons of TOS. So they put markings on them. Spiced it up, added detail, maybe some realism. Whatever.

Then they played back to footage in glorious HD: You STILL couldn't see the markings on the buttons! So maybe they were in TOS all the time! (We're a small enough board here that we're like an old married couple. You've all heard all my stories at least twice.)

Well, the multi colored turbolift is like the bridge buttons. Maybe it was always there, but we never saw it! What other unseen detail can we add and still get away with?

30 May 2017 15:22
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... the classical porpoise mosaic murals in the ship's swimming pool... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

30 May 2017 18:18
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next