View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jun 2017 06:08

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
U.S.S. Reliant design variations, inaccuracies or not 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

After having seen once again STII: The Wrath of Khan I carefully observed the Reliant compared to the Enterprise. I noticed that Reliant's profile is closer to the Kennedy Shipyard schematics and the AMT/Ertl model kit than SoSF Avenger/Cyane's profiles schematics. Let me show you what I mean:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146439747@N06/34559548196/in/album-72157675790111853/

Above is the KSY one compared to both SoSF ones.

14 May 2017 11:38
Commander
Commander

Kelvin0514 wrote:
After having seen once again STII: The Wrath of Khan I carefully observed the Reliant compared to the Enterprise. I noticed that Reliant's profile is closer to the Kennedy Shipyard schematics and the AMT/Ertl model kit than SoSF Avenger/Cyane's profiles schematics. Let me show you what I mean:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146439747@N06/34559548196/in/album-72157675790111853/

Above is the KSY one compared to both SoSF ones.

Design variations. IIRC, the write-up in SotSF for the Avenger class mentions two different companies producing the ships with slightly different nacelle support pylons amongst other differences. I seem to remember that the curvy outline pylon ships came from Wright-Corder. Don't have the book handy or I'd give some more definitive info here, sorry.

14 May 2017 12:47
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes the Reliant plans I drew were based on pre-production model, not the final model. That is also why it was named Avenger- after the working title for the movie, The Vengeance of Khan.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

14 May 2017 13:47
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Quote:
Design variations. IIRC, the write-up in SotSF for the Avenger class mentions two different companies producing the ships with slightly different nacelle support pylons amongst other differences. I seem to remember that the curvy outline pylon ships came from Wright-Corder. Don't have the book handy or I'd give some more definitive info here, sorry.

That's not what I meant but, well, I know that one : it is the Lunar Wright-Horatio Corder design variation and I know all is mentioned in SoSF, vol. 1. That's why I represented both Avenger class compared to the Reliant. :)

[url]Yes the Reliant plans I drew were based on pre-production model, not the final model. That is also why it was named Avenger- after the working title for the movie, The Vengeance of Khan.[/url]

I understand. Considering this slight variation could the Reliant eventually consideredas a good candidate for the famous Kresta class briefly mentioned in SoSF, vol. 1?

14 May 2017 14:42
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]