View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:43

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Late 23rd Century Tacfleet Uniforms 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The discussion thread on the Kiaga class PA's and their featured Starfleet uniforms remembered me an idea about the Akyazi Group ships and their crew members. The question is what could be the look of Tacfleet uniforms aboard the Akyazi Group vessels. First I wanted them to be close to the uniforms used in the 2280-2300 period and later as seen in five of the six TMP movies. The only major difference is the colour of the jacket. Most Akyazi are painted with the black diamond scheme so I came out with this : A black uniform for a black ship.

Searching for ST:Fact Files schematics on Ex Astris Scientia I found the traditional uniform and modify it to reflect my vision. The first one has an alternate belt buckle representing a vertical sword hidden by the Starfleet chevron.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146439747@N06/34267900775/in/album-72157679887105823/

The second one has the PA deployment mission patch on the left shoulder.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146439747@N06/34227664596/in/album-72157679887105823/

The models above are just samples. Other male/female/hermaphrodite variants based on the movies could be possible.

25 Apr 2017 15:36
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's nice but I can tell you that Todd wanted no part of those TWoK uniforms. I tried to rework them, stripping off the belt buckle and clasps and weird metal doodads in an effort to bringbthem to something of the "Cage" aesthetic, but he was not impressed. That ship (Akyazi) was very much conceived for a universe where the look of TMP remained and if TWoK happened at all, it happened in a different way. I can say with honesty that we got a lot of laughs comparing the TWoK uniforms to bellhops, Canadian Mounties, marching bands, etc. It just isn't Star Trek to him and, really, for me either.

But your art is great and for that looks, you have made it much classier and less preposterous.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

25 Apr 2017 16:46
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Well I understand what you mean and I don't throw the 1979 TMP aesthetic away. That was just an hypothetical later version based on TWoK uniforms which are, to be honest, my favorite ones. :D I'm a partisan of alternates universes, close or further away in timelines so it is not a big deal for me to open my mind at other propositions. My attempt is to imagine the role of some PA's in the late 23rd and early 24th centuries when the Federation/Klingon Border collapsed. The redeployment of those ships into the Lost Era continuity between TMP and TNG.

Quote:
I can say with honesty that we got a lot of laughs comparing the TWoK uniforms to bellhops, Canadian Mounties, marching bands, etc. It just isn't Star Trek to him and, really, for me either.

I think William Shatner is Canadian. Perhaps is that the reason? :D

25 Apr 2017 18:21
TacFleet Liaison
TacFleet Liaison

Yes, start with Kirk’s short-sleeve TMP white and work from there.

David had a file called new_unis.jpg from about 15 years ago. I liked the “cut” on those designs.

I think some PAs would have a distinction between the CO and the rest of the crew in the sense that only s/he would wear the straight white while the rest wore a variation based on the stealthy pearlescent-luminescent dark scheme of many of the ship hulls. (How that would ever be incorporated into actual fabric I have no idea.) This would visually reinforce the idea (to a viewer) that commanding one of those boats is a lonely, lonely job. But that would be the TacFleet “rule” only. In actual use the COs would find it much more effective to build esprit de corps on-ship and do away with stark signifiers of rank differentiation. So, in practice either many (top-level? senior?) officers would wear the whites based on that style, or most would. At CO discretion.

Of course, I never was able to successfully convey the extent to which there’d be a genuine sense of “just get the job done, I don’t care what – if anything – you wear” being established by particular commanders. Over time and the course of long deployments, I think it might actually become a psychological necessity.

And they all must be drawn in THIS style . . . MUST! ;-)

http://starfleet1701st.yuku.com/topic/6 ... P_HO3eZO-Y

25 Apr 2017 18:37

aridas wrote:
That ship (Akyazi) was very much conceived for a universe where the look of TMP remained...

One of the things I loved about that book was the inclusion of shuttlecraft illustrating how even ships too small to house a hangar bay could still operate small craft using the new common docking system. It expanded upon and reinforced the brilliance of and possibilities opened up by this wonderfully integrated and standardized feature of TMP, that could allow ships and craft of all sizes and types to smoothly operate together. One of the most logical concepts they incorporated that was sadly abandoned.

I didn't hate the Trek V shuttlecraft, but it seemed quite silly that Enterprise was now left with 7 docking ports that apparently none of her small craft could utilize. Something that once suggested so much promise suddenly had virtually no purpose...X 7.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

25 Apr 2017 23:38
Site Admin
Site Admin

The top two were my quick impression of a 2240s era, Four Years War, Kiaga standard and dress uniform. Then there is my remaking if the TWoK uniforms to be more in line with the TOS and psrticularly, "Cage" aesthetic. Finally there is my reworking of the TMP uniforms to introduce some of the TOS styling into their cut and details. I think it is this last one that Todd mentioned above.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

26 Apr 2017 00:39
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Nevertheless I like the idea of mixing TOS, TMP and TWoK together. The models above reflect the other vision I had of TMP. I think I've touched a too sensitive subject to be discussed and honestly I see more my black uniform as a so called Section 31 one than made for TACFLEET. White is also a good solution.
The discussion itself reveals a generational issue as I'm an "All Trek Follower Man" which always tends to create links between the series, franchises and references.
From an external point of vue that amuses me a lot. :)

26 Apr 2017 04:51
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think if the series "Enterprise" had been set on a Daedalus-class vessel with a crew wearing something very TWoK, it could have fit with TOS. But those red jackets would have been dress uniforms.

26 Apr 2017 09:10
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I agree with that point the TWoK red jacket is more of a dress uniform made for prestige and is less practicle in some ways. I also wanted to see a Deadalus class ship in ENT.

26 Apr 2017 11:40
TacFleet Liaison
TacFleet Liaison

Yes, that last one is definitely it. I think it combines the very best of the series with the best of TMP.

There could even be allowances for anyone to wear a dark/black undershirt with short collar as variation – thereby further recalling the original TOS aesthetic.

Imagine every scene from TMP substituted with these instead of what we got. Heck, were I in a good mood when asked then I might even cop to a much smaller version of that clumsy Perscan belt device being incorporated . . . ehhh, maybe not.

The TMP basic duty blue-gray uniforms always looked as though they were fitted a little too loosely (to my eye), especially at the sleeves. As though they were a half-size larger than they should’ve been (to account for advancing age on the part of the actors, perhaps?). But even more importantly they looked to be made from artificial materials instead of the impression I always got from TOS – that they were natural fabrics (or simulations thereof) that just “hung” better on the body. That wild sewing pattern they came up with on the original show also helped.

As for that last image again, for palette variation and visual interest on a show or movie, I think it might be necessary to add in a blue-gray version (like the uniform color from TMP, or the muted blue-science version in the Wrath of Khan Remade jpeg above it) and fill that empty slot with a copy & paste of variation #5 with the black trousers (counting from the left), but with the tunic done in the blue.

I don’t know if the blue-gray would be necessary or there’d be much call for it on an actual PA, but for occasional visual interest it would seem appropriate. (God forbid we end up with the uber-blandness of first season Space:1999.)

And there you’d have the basis for the PA uniforms, I think. They’d certainly require the casting of taut, fit actors to fill them out properly. And then all that would remain is for an illustrator with more time than I to somehow set about visualizing that aforementioned PA stealth hull effect on an actual uniform top. THAT would blow my mind.

26 Apr 2017 12:47
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next