View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:50

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Starstalker 
Ensign
Ensign

A long time ago, before I ever saw SOTSF, Trek magazine ran an article on Kirk's early career, by Leslie Thompson. The only really interesting part of it was this:
Quote:
Kirk received his promised command: a brand new ship, an experimental model Starstalker. The object of the ship was to act as a quick-moving and virtually untraceable weapon, much like the submarines of Earth's past.Starstalker was one of three models being tested for this type of work.

From the article, this was six years before he took command of the Enterprise, and he had it for two years.
This sounds rather like a Perimeter Action design to me, and late 2250s - early 2260s would be a good timeframe for experimentation on the evolution of the Kiaga and Agilis classes.
Quote:
The ship was virtually a flying phaser, with speed and firepower comparable to a full-size starship.

Quote:
he was ably assisted by a no-nonsense, hard-headed chief engineer named Montgomery Scott, who had helped to design Starstalker.

Not so fond of this tidbit. Does the Federation ever achieve anything without this guy?
Quote:
After two years of experimentation, the Starstalker experiment was shelved, and Kirk was assigned to another ship.

Now, I don't see a stint on a PA-X as a really important part of Kirk's career, or fitting very well at all. But the idea of the ship itself was cool, and when I saw the SOTSF:Akyazi class PAs, I thought it a good idea, and actually, the only decent part of the article.

So, what do you think Starstalker should look like and what should it's capabilities be? Or the other two unnamed models being tested at the time? I have also wondered if this article is what inspired Starship Prototype to come up with their Starstalker, which is more of a battlecruiser and less of a hunter-killer.

14 Apr 2017 14:05
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... i would give a few irony points if Starstalker looked like a smoother textured configuration of the DS9 Defiant... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

14 Apr 2017 23:11
Ensign
Ensign

Purely a text article, and written in the late 70s or very early 80s. No visual description given.

15 Apr 2017 00:48
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I agree it sounds like a kind of PA ship to me. Perhaps Kiaga style looking stealth ship according to Kirk's early years.

16 Apr 2017 14:15
Commodore
Commodore

was there something like Starstalker in the Spaceflight Chronology book?

We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
Max Planck

16 Apr 2017 19:35
Ensign
Ensign

Kelvin0514 wrote:
I agree it sounds like a kind of PA ship to me. Perhaps Kiaga style looking stealth ship according to Kirk's early years.

Yeah, but I have trouble deciding exactly what it should look like. When I first read it way back when, I imagined something like an SR-71 trekified, half the size of the Enterprise.

davros_of_borg wrote:
was there something like Starstalker in the Spaceflight Chronology book?

Not that I recall, no.

16 Apr 2017 22:13
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... i sorta recall a line drawing of a vaguely stretched football shape with some simple texture details... ; )

pretty sure it wasn't officially named Starstalker... but was identified as an experimental fast combat/scout design...

and it was in roughly the right place on the timeline to be Kirk's command...

Max Planck

17 Apr 2017 02:35
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hale class?

https://vintagestarships.files.wordpres ... 1/hale.pdf

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

17 Apr 2017 03:38
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Perhaps is she a kind of monitor or any kind of border patrol stealth prototype? I think it'll remain a mystery.

17 Apr 2017 08:43
Ensign
Ensign

I was hoping the community here might think up some of those details. Was this a swat at updating Kiaga / Agilis or a first attempt at what later became Akyazi? Am i too focused on it's apparent similarities to the PAs, and it was the first take on a Defiant type, or to make something like the Star Frontiers Assault Scout( kind of a bomber-sized ship just big enough to mix it up with smaller capital ships and yet still small enough and fast enough to get in the scrum with the fightercraft as well)?
And what should it look like?

18 Apr 2017 01:12
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next