View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jun 2017 06:18

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Starstalker 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kiaga and Agilis didn't come up until SotSF, so the timing wouldn't be right for it to have been an attempt to visualize them.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

18 Apr 2017 02:04
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

So what role and appearance would you expect of "small, fast, flying phaser of a ship" with "almost the power of a full-size starship"? That flew experimentally around 2258 - 2262 timeframe? I thought Kiaga and Agilis were 2250s designs, and Akyazi was late 2270s - 2280s, so it seemed to me like this could be explained as an attempt to either improve Kiaga, develop the successor, or expand the concept of a PA in a different direction. Where am I going wrong here?

It apparently didn't succeed, whatever it was intended to do, as we never see or hear anything further on it, and the name of the experimental ship gets reused a couple of decades later for a very different combatant - kind of like NASA and the Orion label.

I've thought about this every so often, and would like to draw up something to say what it "should've" looked like, and it's two unnamed cousins, and whether they were of any use at all, and if not, why not? Aside from the politics that set back PAs for a while, was there some flaw?

The original article wasn't very good, but that little piece set me to speculating, and it comes back to bug me every so often. It'd help, of course, if I could actually draw decently...

18 Apr 2017 04:06
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are misunderstanding each other. I am saying that in real life the ship appearing in the "Spaceflight Chronology" couldn't have been an attempt to describe Kiaga or Agilis because Kiaga and Agilis were first described ten or more years after the "Spaceflight Chronology" was written. I can also say that although Todd and I knew about the "Spaceflight Chronology", and we consulted it, Kiaga and Agilis - and even moreso Akyazi - were based on the Orion ship from "Journey to Babel", the Tholian ships from "The Tholian Web", the Romulan bird of prey, Nomad, and other small vessels that showed the ability to reallocate 100 percent of their power back and forth between defense and attack. Internally, the idea was the clipper had been a longstanding type that was then adapted to this kind of tripwire role during the 4YW. Kiaga and later Agilis get designed and built specifically for the purpose - bigger, more durable and powerful than clippers. Later, the 5YM ships encounter alien vessels like those mentioned above that include technologies that allow the job to be done even better, and that results in Akyazi.

So this "Starstalker" project, if it has any role in the SotSF way of looking at all this, might have been a code name for a 2250s-60s project pulling together data towards the development of an improved PA. That sounds like it fits with what we wrote, except for the fact I very much doubt we would ever have picked such a Star Wars sounding name.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

18 Apr 2017 08:33
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Not sure where Space Flight Chronology came in, the article was in Trek Magazine, and later, the Best of Trek Magazine books. But it is cool to hear your reactions to one of my favorite fanon materials of that era.

Yes, I was thinking in terms of where it would fit in the fiction, and how to decide what it should look like and what capabilities it should have (or be designed to have, even if the design failed). And perhaps it was a competing program, hence the overly dramatic name?

18 Apr 2017 16:48
Site Admin
Site Admin

davros_of_borg wrote:
was there something like Starstalker in the Spaceflight Chronology book?

I'm sorry. I saw this post and mentioned the Hale-class and thought that might have been the source of the ship in the article.

I would like to see this ship. Does it resemble the Hale? Depending on when Starstalker was first published, they may have been thinking of a PA a'la Kiaga, Agilis or Akyazi.

18 Apr 2017 17:44
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

sorry... the ship i was thinking of wasn't the Hale class... but i can't get to my copy of the book to look for it... : (

all i remember is a side view that looked more like a football shape (no nacelles) with a nose design that almost made me think of the Leif Ericson heat shield... ; )

and my subconscious is stubbornly connecting it to a more torpedo-like Chris Foss design that was mostly white with red accents... though it had to be a simple line drawing to be in the SFC...

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

18 Apr 2017 18:44
Ensign
Ensign

aridas wrote:
I'm sorry. I saw this post and mentioned the Hale-class and thought that might have been the source of the ship in the article.

I would like to see this ship. Does it resemble the Hale? Depending on when Starstalker was first published, they may have been thinking of a PA a'la Kiaga, Agilis or Akyazi.

The author, Leslie Thompson, wrote it for Trek Magazine, late 70s or possibly very early 80s. I saw it in the book series made from the fanzine, Best of Trek Magazine in the early 80s. I suspect that Leslie just came up with the idea herself, but I don't know. And I would also like to see this ship, but I suck at drawing. Since there was no drawing with the article, the only anyone's gonna see it is if somebody draws it (and it's two related projects?). I can mess around with Vance's spareparts, but making something really new?

I kind of have the idea of the old Starbird toy with nacelles added and the aft hull enlarged. Possibly with the center spar replaced by twin booms instead... If I can whip up something not too horrible, I'll try to post it.

18 Apr 2017 23:40
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

A Y-Wing from Star Wars sort of thing mixed with a TOS kind Akyazi if I understand well. If you've got any other description it could be worth it to do a first sketch of the ship.

19 Apr 2017 09:17
Ensign
Ensign

Kelvin0514 wrote:
A Y-Wing from Star Wars sort of thing mixed with a TOS kind Akyazi if I understand well. If you've got any other description it could be worth it to do a first sketch of the ship.

From the original post:
Quote:
an experimental model Starstalker. The object of the ship was to act as a quick-moving and virtually untraceable weapon, much like the submarines of Earth's past.Starstalker was one of three models being tested for this type of work.
The ship was virtually a flying phaser, with speed and firepower comparable to a full-size starship.

That's all the description given. Yes, I like your restatement of the description.
I suck at this, so it's slow going. I hope to put up some sort of view this weekend. If other, more talented folks or people with other ideas care to swot something up, I have no objections.

19 Apr 2017 17:49
Ensign
Ensign

She ain't real pretty, but here's the top view of my concept:
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u47 ... alker1.jpg

She's supposed to be fast, stealthy, and a flying phaser with near the power of a capital ship, so she has two phaser cannon, maybe a rear phaser bank for defensive purposes. Fewer emplacements, but the main two are larger and more powerful than normal. Perhaps one photorp forward, one aft, underslung?
Is this a good direction?

20 Apr 2017 03:13
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next