View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:09

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Later-model Circumferential Engines? 
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
I'm still stuck with my computer in storage, so I've been fiddling around a little bit on paper with some old sketches in my to-do file. Lately I've started reworking a rough drawing I did back around 2003 or 2004, during a period where I was heavily into reworking the layout of the TNG Nebula class into earlier eras. The sketches took the idea to the logically absurd (or absurdly logical; your pick) extent of fusing the stern of the saucer into the secondary hull. With age came wisdom (a little, at any rate), and when I started on this again I saw immediately how silly my approach was. I had also referred to it in some of my notes as a clipper, even though it bore no resemblance whatsoever to what clippers in the FRS were supposed to look like. (I plead ignorance on that aspect.)

I'd already decided to make the revised ship a class 2 vessel (much as aridas did with a couple of ships in his 50th Anniversary series). My old sketch was a mixture of design eras: saucer from Akyazi, bridge and secondary hull from the initial layout of the TMP ship, engine derived from the Connie II. I've decided to do versions that are more consistent in terms of style, and to split the final version into two forms: a Connie II-based research vessel and a slightly larger Enterprise-based police cruiser. While I was laying out all this, I thought of doing two versions of the research ship, one with linear warp and one with circumferential.

My current problem is I'm not at all sure what direction a circumferential engine roughly concurrent with TMP should take. Design-wise, the more advanced versions I'm most familiar with are the nacelles from Kiaga and the sketch Andrew Probert did a while back of an intermediate-stage Yorktown. I'm not really satisfied with either approach, since they both seem too high-performance for me. If I understand correctly, the Kiaga engines are already in the beginning stage of the path towards the ACE, and the Yorktown nacelles clearly are headed toward the linear warp layout. Both of those concepts seem better suited for the class 1 line starships. The research vessel wouldn't need that level of power and sophistication (at least mine wouldn't, as I see it). I seem to have hit a creative block on this.

So, what I'm hoping to find here are suggestions and advice. What might a 2260s circumferential engine look like? I'm not asking anyone to design the darn thing for me, but over the years I've picked up a lot of good data and ideas from you folks. I'd like to hear your thoughts. It should certainly make for some interesting discussions.

I'm going to post a copy of this over on the Treknographics forum, just to pick up the few who don't come here that often.

31 Dec 2016 19:13
Site Admin
Site Admin

There is a fellow that goes by the handle "Admiral Buck" that really nails what I think of as a later circumferential nacelle. Basically a bigger, heftier Kiaga-esque nacelle. I will see if I can find an example.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

31 Dec 2016 19:25
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here you go:

http://fasaststcs.com/wp-content/upload ... ntinel.jpg

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

31 Dec 2016 19:26
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]