View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:14

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
It's the Constellation. Look at that. 
Captain
Captain

Shaw just posted his plans for the AMT Enterprise kit. So I'm taking a quick break (again) from my Jefferies Shuttle for this.

WAY easier than the 11 footer, BTW. (OTOH, I'm 11 years more experienced and Blender is 11 years more advanced.)

Image Image Image

22 Dec 2016 11:53
Site Admin
Site Admin

It will be great to see this. I don't think anyone else has attempted to depict a digital model of Constellation or the AMT kit.

Merry merry by the way. I will be back to our ball o'balls after my cooking duties are done so stay tuned.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

22 Dec 2016 18:11
Profile WWW
Chief
Chief

Great! I was really excited by Shaw's plans. This is the logical next step! Can't wait to see the final result.

24 Dec 2016 15:32
Captain
Captain

Progress!

Those three boxes around the deflector assembly are a pain to model no matter what Enterprise you build!

05 Jan 2017 16:09
Site Admin
Site Admin

I love the polystyrene plastic texture. It looks like the bare model finished in Future floor wax. It really sells it.

05 Jan 2017 16:37
Profile WWW

My gosh that really looks like a physical model!! If I didn't know better I'd swear it was one of those test builds that Shaw posts when he's fabricating his own parts.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

05 Jan 2017 22:29
Captain
Captain

Ahkyahnan wrote:
My gosh that really looks like a physical model!! If I didn't know better I'd swear it was one of those test builds that Shaw posts when he's fabricating his own parts.

Mark

Thanks! If only everything could be white, shiny plastic. :)

Wow, this project is SCREAMING along. OK, maybe not...

I'm chasing my tail a bit over modeling methodology. I re-did the sensor boxes. They don't show up that well in this image, but it's true! I may do it all again because I'm nuts. I think I'll do some more detail work first so I can show more progress the next time. Finish the warp engines and the impulse deck.

I thought about modeling the actual pieces of the AMT kit, but I think that way lies madness. I think if I get closer to the kit than anyone else has then I'm free to make my own changes because then this is the actual Constellation.

13 Jan 2017 17:41
Site Admin
Site Admin

One of the tough questions you will need to deal with is "what modifications did THEY make to the AMT model?" They appear to have actually cut windows into the plastic. Did they remove the sensor grid? Did they fill in those three off-center dimples on the saucer underside? Is that the kit sensor/deflector dish? It is hard to tell from the film clips but the surviving "Trouble With Tribbles" model leaves me wondering.

This modeling you are doing based on Shaw's good plans will at least get carved in stone the long held view that this is a different - though similar - class.

13 Jan 2017 17:49
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
One of the tough questions you will need to deal with is "what modifications did THEY make to the AMT model?" They appear to have actually cut windows into the plastic. Did they remove the sensor grid? Did they fill in those three off-center dimples on the saucer underside? Is that the kit sensor/deflector dish? It is hard to tell from the film clips but the surviving "Trouble With Tribbles" model leaves me wondering.

I'm going back and forth over the dimples. On the one hand it's such a distinctive marker of the kit. But I'll look to see if they would be visible on screen. If they're not visible at all (and I don't think they are) then I'll have to make a choice. There are only six shots on the Constellation and most are from far away.

I don't think I'll be referencing the Tribbles model. But I could change my mind.

It remains to be seen what level of detail I'll add. I think the final goal will be something like "If they built the AMT kit to be 11 feet long".

aridas wrote:
This modeling you are doing based on Shaw's good plans will at least get carved in stone the long held view that this is a different - though similar - class.

Angels and ministers of grace defend us! ;)

13 Jan 2017 19:35
Captain
Captain

Well, it kinda has doors:

This is where the model gets philosophically difficult. The model doors definitely look like a small piece of plastic. I think what I'll wind up doing is making a model that is at least 75% accurate to the original kit. Then I'll make some tweaks to make it at least an 11 foot model if not an 950 foot one.

I don't want to just say "Well, if I add detail then it's just detail that was on the 11 footer." For instance the aft nacelle caps on screen are smooth. Well, I'm not doing that. But I'm not sure that I'll just make them look like The Cage or Where No Man Has Gone Before, either. Same goes for the nacelle domes, too. Do I light them like the series Enterprise? Put needles on them?

One thought struck me: I don't want to inadvertently suggest that the Constellation was beaten because she was older and less advanced than the Enterprise. The difference should be between Decker and Kirk.

23 Jan 2017 17:03
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next