View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:45

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Jefferies Shuttlecraft 
Captain
Captain

Well, I figured I'd dust this old bird off and take another stab. So far I feel that this is the closest I've ever gotten to the shape, proportions, and general "feel" of MJ's original design.

Image Image Image

Maybe I can get it wrapped up in time for the 50th anniversary of the Galileo 7 this January! (Anything can happen, right?)

p.s. Photobucket was getting so slow as to be unusable. I'm trying out imgur. If anyone knows a better service that will generate BBCode links with thumbnails, PLEASE let me know!

15 Nov 2016 18:20
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yessir. Yes indeed. I do think you have gotten much closer with this one. And I feel pretty sure this is the version he wanted to build. There are sketches of the interior from this design that make it clear it was to be a narrow bird not unlike Jefferies' own plane.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

15 Nov 2016 19:26
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

This one in particular:

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/albums ... tle_1c.jpg

Interesting to note that apparently it was to be "Columbus IX" not "Galileo 7".

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

15 Nov 2016 19:32
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

This was apparently to have been the set:

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/albums ... tle_1b.jpg

15 Nov 2016 19:35
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Hot damn I've never seen those before! They will certainly come in handy!

15 Nov 2016 19:54

Those are so wild looking in retrospect! Especially the chairs.

Looking great Bill! Let me know what you think of imgur as you go. I'm thinking of switching too.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

16 Nov 2016 13:38
Captain
Captain

Looking those over I'm not entirely convinced that those are for the TOS shuttle or the Phase II shuttle. Or even something else. (Check out the airlock at the back.)

OTOH, a single pilot seat up front make sense with some of MJ's drawings. Although others he had a double seat. I will, of course, take what I want. :) I expect I will still use the Burke (they were Burke, right?) chairs from the Galileo. My plan is to take the shapes of some of his cockpit drawings and apply the Galileo styles to them.

Mark, imgur seems good so far from an upload / viewing stand point. It doesn't kill my browser like Photobucket does. Photobucket used to have very good BBCode generation. But imgur seems OK, as long as I'm creating one link at a time.

I don't know which is a better experience for my "audience". (You guys!) So let me know!

16 Nov 2016 13:56
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am pretty sure I read somewhere a long time back - Concordance? Asherman? - that Columbus IX was an early name for Galileo 7. I think that is how Columbus became the name for the other shuttlecraft in the episode. I think there are two sets of drawings here and they are mixed. I chose the ones I think pertain to his original shuttle.

Even the Galileo chairs are not Burke are they? They may be based in the Burke armchair but are seriously modified. It was a mistake in STC when they showed Kirk, Sulu and Mckenna in Burke chairs.

Look at the Burke armchair:

https://images-blogger-opensocial.googl ... =image%2F*

Now look at the chair in the reclining cradle in the Galileo interior:

http://rs294.pbsrc.com/albums/mm106/Lin ... 0&fit=clip

Aren't the Burke arms much narrower? Completely different geometry where the back and arms join?

Though I entirely agree with maintaining the Galileo aesthetic, which IIRC, was created by Gene Winfield. I think he did the interior set and exterior model. At least I recall him claiming both and noting the chairs came from something he had laying around.

16 Nov 2016 14:04
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Hmmm. I'm sure they know what chair those are on the RPF.

A little more progress today. I did some detailing on the tail. I'm going in a different direction for the upper tail section than I had previously.

Image Image Image

16 Nov 2016 17:10
Site Admin
Site Admin

I want one.

16 Nov 2016 17:16
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next