View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:56

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Star Trek Discovery 
Site Admin
Site Admin

"The look of the show won’t necessarily reflect The Cage’s aesthetic though. “We’re going to try to achieve a new look for Star Trek that is very much Star Trek, but also our interpretation of Star Trek. And I love each of the shows I work on to have a distinct aesthetic,” Fuller explained. “So being able to apply the colour palette of some of these, whether it’s Hannibal or Pushing Daisies, and going a different direction with science fiction, it just felt like it was a good place to start our signature look for the Star Trek universe and work our way forward as we continue to tell stories.” "

Why is it that of all the things that stay the same, it is this thing we hold dear, that was envisioned by perhaps the greatest visionary of them all (Matt Jefferies) and that is pliable enough to be much, much more magical and powerful than what TOS could show- why is it the LOOK that these numbnut pseudo visionaries always feel compelled to change? Isn't it telling that in Star Wars they never, ever change the look once they establish it?

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 Aug 2016 20:34
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

So this doesn't strike anyone as odd or tragic in any way appropriate to tragedy as applied to a TV show? I think that's my problem. I'm not a Star Trek fan. I'm a fan of those Matt Jefferies-Datin-Chang etc designs as applied to Star Trek. I love the original show but I just find it amazing and absurd that the look of the 1960s sets and models is what has been endlessly reinterpreted because they have been deemed not fitting to the modern day. And yet, nobody is banging a drum to bring back Voyager or the 1701-D. Lucasfilm painstakingly recreates designs from the recesses of the old Legends Universe for Star Wars Rebels and recreates the Millennium Falcon down to the last bolt for The Force Awakens, and Star Trek has never, ever done anything similar. Jefferies' designs always get "reworked". I think it's because nobody "gets" what those designs were about. They think of them as plain and cardboard and not a slate to show amazing capabilities. Why doesn't anyone build the bridge just as it was... but show the control surfaces magically reconfiguring themselves? Those tulip chairs? The same, but have no support under them. Just let 'em float. Show the hard control surfaces and railings become soft on impact but then immediately get hard again. Show exploding panels that immediately get surrounded by protective bubble force fields that limit their damage. Holographic displays, VR, mental interfaces - but all subtle so it could have been in the background of the original depiction.

Directors are so fucking superficial. There is so much possibility in the original Star Trek and yet unimaginative recreations and fans have done more to kill it than any network or studio.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

01 Sep 2016 15:35
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

so... i suppose i'm a revisionist because i'd like to see the original MJ designs subtly updated the way you suggest, too... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

03 Sep 2016 21:42
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it is a lack of courage on the investment and production side and a lack of imagination of the art and direction side. It's so easy to just make it look like the Apple Store or put plasma TVs on the walls or create "LCARS" and call it better. I admit that what I'm saying would be jarring at first but it might give modern audiences the same sense of "wow" I felt in 1966. There's no way yet another rehash of reworking those ideas for a contemporary audience will feel anything but contemporary, and in a few years, dated. But to show those seemingly "cardboard" sets as positively beyond comprehension? That would blow people's minds- something Star Trek hasn't done at least since TMP and possibly since TOS itself.

03 Sep 2016 23:51
Profile WWW
Chief
Chief

Hear, hear!

TOS Enterprise may not look like an Apple Store, but it looks functional. The Officer of the Deck/CO in the center seat, where he can swivel to address any of the watchstanders, the astrogator and chronometer directly in front of the OOD seat, helm and navigation side by side, communications and engineering watch stations--the two most critical functions--directly by the turbolift doors...everything makes sense.

22 Jan 2017 11:51
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

What I'm looking for in the new show is that kind of references :

http://www.startrek.com/legacy_media/images/200511/ent-095-defiant-in-tholian-dock/320x240.jpg
http://trekcore.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/stid-ds2-thumb.jpg

Something consistent I can catch and grab and not something completely different from another timeline. I must add I want the same kind of ambient atmosphere I felt in TOS, TAS, TMP and TNG.

19 Mar 2017 18:06
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

What can I say? it has to have the look of the The Cage. Anything else....

20 Mar 2017 10:51
Ensign
Ensign

I posted this on Treknographics as well.

Somehow, this Shakespeare quote seems to fit a lot of what I find wrong with ST: D...

This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~William Shakespeare

It's kinda painful to use Shakespeare to slap Star Trek but..?

20 Jul 2017 23:27
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes indeed. All that and three witches, too.

"She should have died hereafter;
There would have been a time for such a word.
— To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out out brief candle!"

If by "brief" we can mean "50 years".

20 Jul 2017 23:34
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Indeed...

I still hold some (little) hope out that when this one fails (and it probably will), CBS and Paramount will not be around too much longer. Both have failed to take proper advantage of what they had available. Both have squandered the potential.

It's likely that Star Trek may become the jewel is some other media company's crown...

22 Jul 2017 12:32
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]