Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Here Come the Cats 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So now the Icarus has an objective:

http://www.universetoday.com/130276/ear ... Redirect=1

Do you think they speak Greek?

;)

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

14 Aug 2016 19:32
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Even better?

Possible SETI candidate:
http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=36248

The signal was received on May 15, 2015, 18:01:15.65 (sidereal time), at a wavelength of 2.7 cm. The estimated amplitude of the signal is 750 mJy.

28 Aug 2016 17:15
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:

;)

Nope, that was introduced by the colonists from Earth.

IMSTU* there were no natives of Alpha Centauri until Zefram Cochrane and the other colonists got there. The reason you see them using greek alphabet and imagery in the FJTM is because these colonists were a bunch of academics and idealists, and given the probable state of post WW3 Earth, probably pretty damned rich, too. So they left Earth first chance and went to start their version of the ancient greek democratic utopia . I gotta imagine a lot of the early colonial architecture tended toward columns and marble (or the local equivalent).

Of course, as always, your milage may vary.

(* = "In My Star Trek Universe")

15 Sep 2016 17:02
Commander
Commander

Well, phooey

16 Oct 2016 17:13
Commander
Commander

publiusr wrote:
Well, phooey

Ain't sayin' you gotta imagine it that way. Just sayin' I do. You can put whatever kind of ancient aliens, Preserver left-overs or honest-to-goddess centaurs in the Alpha Centauri system as sutis you. But in my head, it's as I described. Now if on-air/screen Trek ever visits the place I suppose they'll have come up with some third or fourth option that won't match either of ours. So...

19 Oct 2016 11:53
Commodore
Commodore

hey, I like your version of Alpha Centauri... : )

figuring out how they got a Ringworld around a small moon in the Vega system is my mystery... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

21 Oct 2016 00:38
Ensign
Ensign

Mysterion wrote:
aridas wrote:

;)

Nope, that was introduced by the colonists from Earth.

IMSTU* there were no natives of Alpha Centauri until Zefram Cochrane and the other colonists got there. The reason you see them using greek alphabet and imagery in the FJTM is because these colonists were a bunch of academics and idealists, and given the probable state of post WW3 Earth, probably pretty damned rich, too. So they left Earth first chance and went to start their version of the ancient greek democratic utopia . I gotta imagine a lot of the early colonial architecture tended toward columns and marble (or the local equivalent).

Of course, as always, your milage may vary.

(* = "In My Star Trek Universe")

I like your idea, but I still prefer Cochrane to be a native of Alpha Centauri, from a culture seeded by the Preservers.

21 Apr 2017 02:54
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... would that be a common Preserver pattern of resettlement?

so we could expect the known races to have halos of transplanted populations surrounding their respective homeworlds... ; )

imagine the fun when the first explorers go beyond the bubble of familiar biospheres and bump into the 'strange' new worlds...

and then eventually encounter other bubbles of races and their duplicated biomes... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

21 Apr 2017 16:57
Ensign
Ensign

Well, Amerind and Miri's World weren't mentioned as being all that close, and would probably have been discovered before the Federation formed if they had been nearby. Same with Mintaka.
So I'd guess the Preservers randomly selected where to drop off their preserved populations, or else specifically looked for worlds that closely resembled the parts of the planet they took the primitives from. FASA says that the Alpha Centaurans came from the Mediterranean region, and A Cent is similar. Obviously, the entire planet is not going to be one climate, but if a large chunk is very much like where you came from, are you liable to decide the Space Gods took you to a different planet, or that the gods you already worship just rearranged the skies a bit and redecorated the local landscape some? And you will have less to learn because you already know how to survive in this climate. If the Preservers dropped a bunch of Eskimos on Risa, they'd have to relearn a whole lot more than they would if they were dropped on Rura Penthe...

On a side note, Diane Carey's First Frontier refers to the natives of Alpha Centauri as calling their race Saroming, so I use that to describe the FASA-derived Alpha Centaurans.

Yes, I think we should have seen such worlds a bit more often, and not just for Terran analogs, but a few more Mintakas and the like. The Kshatriyans from Corona could have been Preserver-seeded Vulcans instead of being related to the Klingons, Vulcans, and Orions through the "third quadrant Dahkrian migration", the Dekkanar from Rules of Engagement and the Radun from Mindshadow could have been seeded Klingons, etc.

23 Apr 2017 02:41
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]