View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:44

Reply to topic  [ 695 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next
Fifty for 50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coming to a starbase near you starting SD 1609.08.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

12 Aug 2016 12:32
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

And this is what?

12 Aug 2016 19:00
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did you know that if you discount the shuttlecraft and various missiles, probes and satellites, there were 50 ships shown or mentioned in the 79 episodes of Star Trek?

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

15 Aug 2016 14:14
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

/Carson voice/ I DID not know that.

15 Aug 2016 16:16
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think it might be nice if we saw them.

15 Aug 2016 16:42
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Fifty ships for a 50 years journey if I understand well.

20 Aug 2016 16:45

aridas wrote:
I think it might be nice if we saw them.

So do I!

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

22 Aug 2016 22:02
Captain
Captain

Any teasers, or just saving it up for The Big Day?

25 Aug 2016 11:08
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am fascinated just how many ships are mentioned when you look at it closely. For instance, in "Space Seed", there obviously are Botany Bay and Enterprise, but there is also talk about the similarity of the DY-100 to the later DY-500. And that the sleeper units became obsolete with the advent of much faster means of propulsion by 2018.

What I intend to do is celebrate not only the fiftieth anniversary of the show, but to use the ships as a means of celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of each episode. I am going to try to create Franz Joseph "Technical Manual" pages for the ships mentioned in each episode and release them on the 50th anniversary of each episode. The TM style of presentation is sufficiently simplified to hopefully allow me to do it in the amount of time I have to commit. (Which is going to be tough the first month as I'll be taking a long walk in the woods, but hopefully all will be done and I'll just have to do the uploading and posting from the field.)

I originally wanted to do FRS pages but those by design were too elaborate. And this approach has the bonus of being a nod to the father of technical fandom.

Obviously a lot of those ships were mentioned but not shown, so there will be surprises plus a few old favorites. I hope they all serve as a pleasant reminder of the fun this stuff once could be for our younger, simpler selves.

25 Aug 2016 15:53
Profile WWW

Wow! Looking very forward to this.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

25 Aug 2016 21:33
Reply to topic   [ 695 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 70  Next