View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:27

Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70
Fifty for 50 
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
I was saying that my rearrangement of those NCC numbers went a little against Franz Joseph and a lot against Greg Jein, and that Mike Okuda had canonized some of Jein's numbers. And that might make a conversation with him awkward. Which it turned out, it did not do. He was quite a delightful person to converse with, as was his wife. And Doug Drexler. I had the opportunity to see Alex Rozensweig and his soon-to-be wife, who was a sweet and darling young lady. And I saw the Trekyards guys, who also turned out to be nice. As was James Cawley, our host, another very personable fellow, and unbelievably dedicated to his craft and Star Trek. All in all, quite a nice time.

But I still don't get the roll eyes. As I have said before, my stuff is not costing anyone anything. Take it or leave it as you see fit. It is my opinion that the best way to celebrate a 50th birthday is to look at something with fresh eyes, as if for the first time. But, YMMV.

Good night! What the hell was this meeting of Nerd Luminaries??! Was it recorded? I'm mostly kidding. But certainly not entirely! This is like the Avengers of Star Trek Tech!

I'll have to remember the 50th advice. ;)

26 Jun 2017 10:36

Tallguy wrote:
aridas wrote:
I was saying that my rearrangement of those NCC numbers went a little against Franz Joseph and a lot against Greg Jein, and that Mike Okuda had canonized some of Jein's numbers. And that might make a conversation with him awkward. Which it turned out, it did not do. He was quite a delightful person to converse with, as was his wife. And Doug Drexler. I had the opportunity to see Alex Rozensweig and his soon-to-be wife, who was a sweet and darling young lady. And I saw the Trekyards guys, who also turned out to be nice. As was James Cawley, our host, another very personable fellow, and unbelievably dedicated to his craft and Star Trek. All in all, quite a nice time.

But I still don't get the roll eyes. As I have said before, my stuff is not costing anyone anything. Take it or leave it as you see fit. It is my opinion that the best way to celebrate a 50th birthday is to look at something with fresh eyes, as if for the first time. But, YMMV.

Good night! What the hell was this meeting of Nerd Luminaries??! Was it recorded? I'm mostly kidding. But certainly not entirely! This is like the Avengers of Star Trek Tech!

It was great to see aridas, too! This was at the Ultimate Insiders Weekend event at the Star Trek Original Series Set Tour in Ticonderoga, NY.

I'd been wondering how I was going to organize some meetup time with aridas (knowing that he planned to be there), and as the fates would have it, he came in slightly late to dinner on Saturday night and needed a place to sit, and our table had one open seat left. James Cawley -- almost as if he *knew* it would be serendipitous! -- pointed it out, and the rest was history. And Doug Drexler and both Mike and Denise Okuda were fabulous. They stand on no ceremony when it comes to their fame; they're fans like us, and they had a wonderful time doing the tours, which showed in everything they did.

As for James, I can't say enough about what an amazing thing he's created. You can take or leave the stories he and his team told on "New Voyages", but the care and commitment that's gone into the reproduction of the Classic Trek sets is beyond compare. It's a transcendent experience to step into that complex and be transported back to the late 1960s, as well as forward to the 23rd Century. This weekend was my fifth time through, and as I said to Doug D., every time I go in, I fall in love with them all over again. If you haven't been, and it's within the realm of possibility for you, go.

Oh, and aridas, when I get home later, I'll be sure to pass along your kind words to Sarah. Thank you! :)

Best,
Alex

26 Jun 2017 13:35
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Rolling eyes lack of inspiration is related to that bothering "NCC-1717" and is not sarcastic, but never mind. That gave me the impression it was slowing down your creativity. :) Or perhaps am I a too hungry to see more.
As it remains a little bit unclear I wonder if you'll come out with a final issue. Defiant or Defiance, as the ship mentionned in ST:TOS "The Tholian Web" and in ST:ENT "In A Mirror, Darkly" is U.S.S. Defiant NCC-1764.

26 Jun 2017 14:03
Site Admin
Site Admin

It was very good to see Alex. We tried to recollect the last time we saw each other face to face and realized it had been over thirty years. Too long.

As for Defiant, I defiantly reject 1764, as I don't buy into the non-sequential number idea, and that is a very high number for a sister of a ship you are trying to portray as very special. That's why I made Defiant a nice, low 1709. Lower even than FJ's Defiance.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

26 Jun 2017 16:16
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I agree 1764 is a bit too high.

26 Jun 2017 16:20
Site Admin
Site Admin

Currently thinking after the past week that NCC-1717 should be named USS Ticonderoga.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 Jun 2017 11:37
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
Currently thinking after the past week that NCC-1717 should be named USS Ticonderoga.

What an amazing coincidence! ;)

30 Jun 2017 12:29
Reply to topic   [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70