View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 24 Jul 2017 14:28

Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Fifty for 50 
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Within the TOS universe :roll:

24 Jun 2017 19:54
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm lost. Why the roll eyes? What do they refer to?

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

25 Jun 2017 11:52
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

They refer to the idea that one should have read more carefully what I posted.

It is known that the Enterprise isn't a new ship. It is stated in TMOST that she is about forty years old. But that is for just one member of the class. There is leeway for others. Their story hasn't been told as of yet.

But subtheme is a question of just how long it took for the ships to get out there... we don't know.

It depends upon the creator's of the show. They didn't tell.

In other words space is so large that even at warp six, it might take a long time.

What this means is that we don't know what breakthroughs have occurred since launch.

Let's go with a launch date of the early 2020's. Technology progresses... radical changes occur. TMP technology comes into fashion... the Enterprise is now out dated, and can handle only so m7ch new technology... But not the very latest...

25 Jun 2017 16:25
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry. I am still confused. Just what does that have to do with anything anyone else is talking about? Or are you talking to yourself?

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

25 Jun 2017 16:31
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

aridas wrote:
You know, I'm pretty nervous and worried because I've just had this heated fever dream answering these Commodore Stone NCC number, "12 ships like it" 50 year old, non-mysteries, which overturn shit like Franz Joseph and Greg Jein, that itself is so out-of-date and arcane that practically no one who posts on even the TrekBBS would be aware it exists. And it overturns stuff that was embraced and canonized by Mike and Denise Okuda.

And in five minutes I am leaving to drive to New York where I sm going to have dinner with

Mike and Denise Okuda.

I am responding to the ideas here in this post. You made, what I considered a valid point.

By the way FJ is still valid.

25 Jun 2017 19:02
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was saying that my rearrangement of those NCC numbers went a little against Franz Joseph and a lot against Greg Jein, and that Mike Okuda had canonized some of Jein's numbers. And that might make a conversation with him awkward. Which it turned out, it did not do. He was quite a delightful person to converse with, as was his wife. And Doug Drexler. I had the opportunity to see Alex Rozensweig and his soon-to-be wife, who was a sweet and darling young lady. And I saw the Trekyards guys, who also turned out to be nice. As was James Cawley, our host, another very personable fellow, and unbelievably dedicated to his craft and Star Trek. All in all, quite a nice time.

But I still don't get the roll eyes. As I have said before, my stuff is not costing anyone anything. Take it or leave it as you see fit. It is my opinion that the best way to celebrate a 50th birthday is to look at something with fresh eyes, as if for the first time. But, YMMV.

25 Jun 2017 23:05
Profile WWW
Commodore
Commodore

hmm... it's all cool with me... : )

i have such a feather light grip on some Trek orthodoxy these days... ; )

i would probably be happy with either a Mann class cruiser named USS Plethora...
or even one of the single engine variant scouts i drew from that era named USS Lollipop...

and would probably just use random dice rolls to get their NCC numbers... < having a very retro gaming phase... >

but i really DO like your new take on the Starbase ship classes via the pressure hull diagram module approach... : )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

26 Jun 2017 00:41
Site Admin
Site Admin

John N. Ritter wrote:
The question is why they were fifty years old. What was going on?

In other words where were the newer ships???

Not out that far yet????????

Fifty years since 1966. That was what I meant. Fiftieth anniversary since the Stone chart was on TV.

26 Jun 2017 06:42
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Kelvin0514 wrote:
Lack of inspiration, I presume. :roll: No doubt he will come soon with plethora of ideas.

Okay... I hadn't even noticed these roll eyes. What did I write that prompted this spate of sarcasm?

I think, perhaps, some people misunderstood my meaning.

Very much.

26 Jun 2017 06:45
Profile WWW
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Oh. But you still made a very valid point the other way.

26 Jun 2017 06:47
Reply to topic   [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next