View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Jul 2017 14:45

Reply to topic  [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
Fifty for 50 
Site Admin
Site Admin

And finally, before I go shoot myself from going insane figuring this out, let me say that when I explained this to my son, he looked at me slack-jawed and said I'd gone nuts. He said I sounded like Milton from "Office Space".

I took that as a kind of mixed compliment.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

22 Jun 2017 19:47
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

I assume the second set of number are from the STTM?

I'm trying to think of what format I can put these into that will make this the most accessible for me. Obviously I'll post whatever I come up with. (How in the name of hell did you keep track of this stuff back in the 80's?!?)

Hey, do you have any photos of the wood model? You mentioned it in an email but I never took the opportunity to ask.

23 Jun 2017 11:54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes except for 1717, which he called Defiance and we called Defiant. I wanted to get Defiant in that original group if possible and moved things around to do it, but it opened that space up at 1717.

Most people will say there are no photos of that wood model. I know there was an interview with someone at Anderson, possibly in Cinefex, possibly online, that said the small wood prototype model was used in a few shots. I know Shaw has said the shots of Enterprise being dragged into the Planet Killer are the little metal miniature from Catspaw. Maybe. But there are some shots that do not look like that metal miniature and do have telltale signs of the early construction drawings, like a longer dorsal. So those shots, Jefferies final color render of the ship before the little wood model was made, the earliest construction drawings, some other things... together they indicate pretty clearly what that small model looked like.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

23 Jun 2017 15:22
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:
And finally, before I go shoot myself from going insane figuring this out, let me say that when I explained this to my son, he looked at me slack-jawed and said I'd gone nuts. He said I sounded like Milton from "Office Space".

HA! I missed this when I posted. I am totally picturing one of those "Beautiful Mind"/"X-Files" cork boards with lots of clippings and colored string.

And of course the red stapler.

23 Jun 2017 16:25
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tallguy wrote:
aridas wrote:

HA! I missed this when I posted. I am totally picturing one of those "Beautiful Mind"/"X-Files" cork boards with lots of clippings and colored string.

And of course the red stapler.

And I said, I don't care if they beam me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my chair one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Gene too, because they've moved my chair four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the tribbles, and they were merry, but then, they switched from the MK 3 to the MK 4 phaser, but I kept my MK 3 phaser because it didn't overload as much, and I kept the power packs for the MK 3 phaser and it's not okay because if they take my phaser then I'll set the ship on fire...

23 Jun 2017 17:58
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

aridas wrote:

First, the evidence is there, plain as day, in that side view. The saucer is spot on accurate but the secondary hull is stretched from the pylons aftward. I really think he might have intended to do it that way. Why? To accomodate that huge hangar that he shows. As a refit, it makes sense. That hanger gets swapped out almost as easily as the nacelles. But even if we say Enterprise never got that refit - and I am fine with that argument - the image is there as a different "look" for the ship. So since I have cataloged the various models and appearances and employed them as the twelve-ships like Enterprise, this qualifies. Plus, it is Defiant, a new-ish ship. It makes sense it would employ an up-to-date look. Either the Phase II design or the TAS design. I needed the Phase II design for the higher NCC - Excelsior. So TAS it was.

Thank you for giving it more robust supports--as on screen. I see you went with the FJ Constitution as seen here:
http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bl ... heet-1.jpg --often called Achernar

The previous Constitution drawing may look to be longer, and I think there are two versions of that--even more fluid secondary hull. One version has the extra bevel of the saucer hull rim.

I think you could do another 12 ship chart just showing all these other variants.

23 Jun 2017 18:33
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know, I'm pretty nervous and worried because I've just had this heated fever dream answering these Commodore Stone NCC number, "12 ships like it" 50 year old, non-mysteries, which mess with stuff like Franz Joseph and Greg Jein, that itself is so out-of-"canon" and arcane that practically no one who posts on even the TrekBBS would be aware it exists anymore. And it overturns stuff that was embraced and canonized by Mike and Denise Okuda.

And in five minutes I am leaving to drive to New York where I sm going to have dinner with

Mike and Denise Okuda.

24 Jun 2017 07:47
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Cool. Tell them we said Hi.

In five minutes I'M going to... Well, mow the lawn and go get groceries.

24 Jun 2017 11:28
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The question is why they were fifty years old. What was going on?

In other words where were the newer ships???

Not out that far yet????????

24 Jun 2017 13:16
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Lack of inspiration, I presume. :roll: No doubt he will come soon with plethora of ideas.

24 Jun 2017 14:41
Reply to topic   [ 697 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next