View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 27 Jun 2017 16:45

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Andorian Large Cruiser - TOS Era 

Recreating a thread that appears (unless I just can't find it) to have been lost when the Federation Frontiers forum was decommissioned with the other Treknologists forums. I'm just copy/pasting from Bernard's site to start, and I seem to recall posting here first back then, and sometimes modifying that before reposting at Bernard's, so anything sounds funny that's probably all it is. Working on some additions to this and hope to add those soon.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

12 Jul 2016 13:51

Originally posted 2013/11/13:

I’ve started some orthographic computer drawings of the Andorian cruiser I posted sketches of previously. Below is a thumbnail for reference.

I’ve never posted WIP images before really, so this will be something new. First up are the warp nacelles. I’ve made more modifications from the sketches to these drawings than I plan to make for the remaining components, because when I created the pencil drawings back in the 90’s I was focusing more on the main hull structure and just added a basic circumferential nacelle with a few alien looking details. Namely that ‘nozzle’ feature aft, which never really quite worked three-dimensionally until now. I’ve changed the nacelle to an octagonal shape to integrate that whole feature into something that works in all views.

These are basically circumferential drive nacelles that operate on the same basic principles as TOS era Star Fleet ships, only of Andorian design. I wanted to strike some balance between the alien and the familiar, to suggest that while they’re of non-Earth design, they’re also a Federation member planet and not a totally alien “unknown ship of the week” that might use a more exotic looking drive. Plus I assume member races have been sharing technologies to some extent before TOS, so there would be some commonalities.

The nozzles at the aft end are the Andorian equivalent of what some call “intercoolers”. I originally pictured them as moveable and working a little like the afterburner nozzles of a modern fighter jet, but I haven’t decided if that’s still the case or not. The inboard boxy modules serve roughly the same function as what some of us have called the “reactor loop”, and I’m trying to suggest some possible interaction between the port & starboard modules as being one reason for the (FASA based) Andorian practice of placing the nacelles inboard and close together. I may even add some small physical connection between the two later on. The “Top View” below shows their actual spacing. Finally the little spire may or may not serve a similar purpose as the TOS Pilot spires. In the end this ship will feature a few “antennae” like details in various spots.

Click for a bigger image.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

12 Jul 2016 13:54

Originally posted 2013/11/17:

Might not look like a huge update, but contains some curvatures that took a little time to depict. This adds the pylon structure to the nacelles.

Not as different from the original drawings compared with the nacelles, except that I felt the vents in the original might be more of a TMP era change, so for this TOS era appearance I replaced them with something simpler. Some sort of blow-away panels maybe. I’m not getting too caught up with details at this stage, so a few things might change once I have most of the ship complete.

Next up should be something pretty cool. I’m working out the structure of the main hull, and am trying to come up with something that actually looks more like a unique construction methodology as opposed to simply altering the appearance of standard components and placing them in odd positions. Something that might reflect more of the Andorian approach to architecture and design, suggested in the previous drawings but realized more fully this time around. Hope to have something up later this week.

Mark

12 Jul 2016 15:05

Originally posted 2014/03/20

Plan to post some updated images soon, but first I thought I'd mention a few ideas I've been incorporating into this. I've been trying to formulate an architectural approach if you will to Andorian design. As mentioned above, I've been considering the supposed insectoid-like nature of Andorian's in all this, but not in the literal sense like the DS9 'bug ships' or the ones seen in Season 3 of Ent. Rather, how a species' nature might affect their design sense. (Of course Andorian's look more human than insectoid really, but I'm going with that at the moment just to get something a little more unique.)

It occurred to me that human structures are often somewhat like our bodies. Not that they literally look like us, but reflect aspects of our own design. Our bodies are basically completely covered with skin, which conceals our inner structure for the most part, only featuring openings where something needs to 'see' out or get in. We tend to build dwellings, building, ships, cars and so forth in much the same way. With the exception of doors, windows and such, one usually needs to dismantle part of the outer shell or go inside to see how something is really put together.

So in trying to suggest an insectoid sensibility, I'm taking the approach that the basic habitation compartments will generally show much of their structure on the outside, giving a sense of how the decks are arranged for instance by their very construction and not just suggested by the placement of viewports. I'm not saying they'll be weak and vulnerable like an insect's exposed anatomy, just that a species of this nature might not feel it necessary to completely cover the structure, but rather include an outer 'exo-skeleton' like shield for further protection. Again, not something that literally looks like an exo-skeleton, simply a physical construction of some sort that only partially covers whatever is inside. The way an open car-port for example protects a car but doesn't actually conceal it.

This part of the design is what I'll post next, followed later by the habitat modules stowed within. Just thought I'd throw some of these ideas out there before posting the images.

Thanks.

Mark

12 Jul 2016 16:10

aridas,

Back when you created your Enterprise cross-section at the BBS, I remember you included a good deal of text explaining how you were laying out all of the engineering related components (drawn in Red) and what each one did. Do you have that reproduced here anywhere?

I tried some searching and couldn't find it if you do.

Thanks.
Mark

18 Jul 2016 11:24
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's this one, isn't it?

topic324.html

I still believe your threads for this Andorian ship are here somewhere. I can't believe they got trashed in the cleanup.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

18 Jul 2016 13:00
Profile WWW

aridas wrote:
It's this one, isn't it? topic324.html

Yep! Thanks very much. That helps me a lot.

Quote:
I still believe your threads for this Andorian ship are here somewhere. I can't believe they got trashed in the cleanup.

I'd like to think so, as we had some good discussions on some things that aren't in the threat at Bernard's, but it doesn't show up in a search. Nor for that matter do the Nova Class threads that were in the same "Federation Frontiers" forum. I'll keep trying though.

Mark

18 Jul 2016 22:03
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would have been wrapped into either the Discussion or Creations forums.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

19 Jul 2016 01:04
Profile WWW

Originally posted 2014/03/22:

The reason for posting the above was to suggest more of an architectural approach that I can apply to future Andorian designs in the future possibly, but more than just an aesthetic like the "Klingon look" or the "Cardassian look" if you will. More of a 'how do they build things compared to how we do'?

Okay, here's the 'exo-skeleton' I mentioned. As you can see, it's really an outer armor shell that will further protect the habitat and equipment compartments that will come next. The forward shell is sorta like a 'closed foot sandal' type structure if you will, and the aft one an 'A frame' assembly that will surround the impulse drive engineering section. Played around a little with the panels on the pylon as well, though I'm trying not to get too detailed anywhere just yet. Next up the habitat compartments.

Thanks, and click for larger images.

Mark

Profile & Top Views:

Fore, Aft & Bottom Views:

07 Aug 2016 16:46
Commander
Commander

Nice!

28 Aug 2016 17:29
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next