View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:10

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Andorian Large Cruiser - TOS Era 

publiusr wrote:
Nice!

Thanks! I actually have a fairly substantial update coming soon.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

30 Aug 2016 12:32

Went back and worked more on my cross-section after Aridas asked me about the location of consumables and so forth. See new images below. Hope you like them. I borrowed a bit from his "Enterprise" cutaway for comparability. The red components are various engineering features, power feeds, etc. I'll try and add more callouts later, but wanted to go ahead and post these. I’ll also need to update my external views to incorporate some changes I made along the way.

Doesn’t capture everything, but shows where the major facilities are, namely the Hangar Deck. As seen in the Bottom View, shuttles enter/exit through a hatch underneath the ship. Looking at Lower Deck 1, you can see the 'float tube' where shuttles rise into the bay. Looking straight on you can see the window to the Starboard control room with an Andorian looking out. Aft is a 'workbee-like' bay and forward a cargo hold that can both access the tube and space directly without having to use the main Hangar above. I’ve added a plan view of Lower Deck 1 to illustrate all of this a little better, and also to give a sense of the width of these decks.

The large blue-shaded area further aft is the Engineering complex. I’ve since added a good bit of detail to illustrate where the reactors, matter/anti-matter stores, “conditioners” and other major components are located. Callouts later will help, but let me know if you have questions.

One cute little detail to note are the 2 space-suited Andorians in the gray-shaded areas atop the Primary Hull. As mentioned before, these spaces between the Outer Shell and the Habitation Modules are open to space and can be accessed via airlocks. The guy at the aft end could walk out underneath the edge of the shell and look out over the aft end of the ship if needed. I imagine that would be quite an interesting view and experience. I also imagine that little area he's standing in could be used as a sheltered staging area for repairs if needed.

Let me know your thoughts.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

29 Nov 2016 11:38
Captain
Captain

Needs more... Antennae. :D

But seriously, nice job.

29 Nov 2016 14:19

Tallguy wrote:
Needs more... Antennae. :D

But seriously, nice job.

Thanks! You know, in retrospect I can probably delete that imbedded sensor up front that I added recently. It's a main hull counterpart to the ones in the pylon sponsons, which were originally navigational deflectors as well. I added it since the others would be lost if the pylons needed to be jettisoned. But then later I decided I just wanted them to be sensors and added those blue deflectors on either side of the forward weapons emplacement. So now I can delete that forward one.

In the next update.

Mark

29 Nov 2016 19:14

If there are no further questions or thoughts on the new Internal images, I’m going to move on to revising the Externals to match some of the changes and new features I added. (For example, adding external hatches in places where I indicated internal fuel stores and other consumables in the cutaway.)

Also going to start work on the hull symbols, lettering, etc. Starting with Franz Joseph’s shield and standard for Epsilon Indii, and developing how those might be incorporated into various hull markings and so forth.

Mark

14 Jun 2017 12:43
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Pretty interesting design so far. It has been a long time I wanted to see more. I always supposed she is inspired by FASA Northampton class frigate. Isn't she?

14 Jun 2017 14:54

Kelvin0514 wrote:
Pretty interesting design so far. It has been a long time I wanted to see more.

Thanks! More coming soon.

Quote:
I always supposed she is inspired by FASA Northampton class frigate. Isn't she?

In terms of the basic nacelle and pylon arrangement, yes. And I believe Andernach or something like that, which also featured the nacelles housed between the pylons.

While I seldom accept FASA designs exactly as drawn (including these 2 ships whose views don’t quite line up and are IMO a little overly complex for TMP), I’ve always thought they had a lot of interesting and inspiring ideas. I liked the basic arrangements of these 2 ships, which were said to be of Andorian design, so when I first created my ship back in the 90s I included those elements as part of my approach to developing Andorian technology. No sense in totally reinventing the wheel, though I did simplify things a little. (I had actually taken a few stabs at my own Northampton as well, which worked its way into this.)

Mark

14 Jun 2017 16:04

Getting closer to posting what I think will be a fairly interesting update. I've been working on the exterior markings and nomenclature. Almost finished so if all goes well, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Mark

19 Jun 2017 16:17
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am looking forward to this.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

19 Jun 2017 16:20
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Ditto. I like Mark's Andorian design a lot more than what was shown on Enterprise.

20 Jun 2017 05:51
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next