View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:55

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
Movie Era Science Ship 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I've been thinking about the Khomarov/Oberth Class for some time.

It's never sat right with me. Having looked through some of the old comics I have, I stumbled on this:

Spock's command during the period between Star Trek III and Star Trek IV in the comic universe (for those interested, the writers had no idea what was planned - they sorted out the whole Kirk breaking the law thing, the bulk of the crew ended up on the Excelsior and Spock got his own ship - and then Star Trek VI happened and they had to create a situation to put them back on a BOP, rushing Spock to Vulcan and getting in trouble with the UFP and SF again). This is supposed to be a Khomarov/Oberth Class - but the artist hadn't seen a picture of it at the time, it was described to them and this is what the generated. Later editions showed the class "accurately." But this... I liked this when I saw it. It has potential. I can see how this would work... The idea is calling to me to see what I can do with it, and it seems to me that it would be a more rational take on the Khomarov/Oberth idea. I am of course open to thoughts on this. In fact.

So... What do you think, is the above pic a decent enough jumping off point to create a brand new TMP era science ship along similar lines to the Khomarov/Oberth? You know, something that actually makes sense and could work, as opposed to just being about the looks.

I already have ideas, but input is always received well (well, ok... mostly it's received well, but I've mellowed in the last few years, so yeah, let's go with it's received well). I'd kind of like something more than just the Ingram/Odysseus Class on my 3D Trek CV (I have done plenty of non-Trek stuff, but you guys aren't interested in that stuff).

Anyways, let me know.

PS: Yes, the Ingram/Odysseus is done. I finished it the beginning of last year. 12 years, 12 years... I learned a lot of doing that "project." This will not take so long :lol:

20 Mar 2015 10:52
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are those nacelles attached to the saucer like on Grissom? If not, I would call it a light cruiser. If so, I'd call it a scout like Khomarov/Oberth/Grissom with interchangeable pods down below. (Though to be fair, I think cruisers can also swap out their secondary hulls for specialized equipment.) I say go for it! Have fun! And stay well!

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

20 Mar 2015 11:19
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
Are those nacelles attached to the saucer like on Grissom? If not, I would call it a light cruiser. If so, I'd call it a scout like Khomarov/Oberth/Grissom with interchangeable pods down below. (Though to be fair, I think cruisers can also swap out their secondary hulls for specialized equipment.) I say go for it! Have fun!

The nacelles will attached to the saucer, and I'm thinking that there will be a proper interconnecting dorsal to connect the primary and secondary hulls together as well (that's a "neck" in case you were all wondering).

I like the idea of a detachable secondary hull/pod thingy. Although my initial thoughts were that I would put engineering in that part of the ship. BUT, but... this is going to be bigger than the Khomarov - it would have to be to make sense of the design (please excuse my ignorance of what the Khomarov stats are. I know the stats for the Oberth, so let's just say I'm assuming a lot in thinking they're the same - correct me if I'm wrong :oops: ). It may well be that part of the secondary hull is "swappable" - You know, I'm beginning to like that idea...

Ok, some questions for the experts (of which I am NOT, no really, I'm not lol, this is why I'm here guys! Your input is needed!!!) - what is the primary purpose of the navigational deflector dish on ships like the Ingram and Constitution, and why can ships like the Miranda (Avenger?) and Khomarov get away with NOT having a glowing dish, but something else?

Quote:
And stay well!
Trying to, but it's... Meh at the moment. So this is a distraction to stop me focusing to much on it ;)

First renders should be later today, if not some point tomorrow. Have opened the project file... have selected the primitive to start with... have started morphing it into the saucer... here we go!

20 Mar 2015 11:31
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Whilst I forget, I'm going with Clark as a Class name - unless I get any other worthy suggestions.

Sticking with that for a moment, here's a proposed list of other names of ships in the same class:

Adams
Aguirre
Aldiss
Asimov
Ballard
Blackmen
Blish
Butler
Campbell
Clark
Crichton
Dahl
Fancher
Foster
Gaiman
Heinlein
Hume
Huxley
Iqbal
Jakes
Jones
Kiernan
Lewis
Martin
McIntyre
McCaffrey
Merril
Nikitin
Niven
Norton
Obruchev
Orwell
Panshin
Pratchett
Pullman
Quinn
Rasch
Rochon
Sagen
Tanaka
Tapinas
Tiedemann
Utley
Vogt
Wells
Wylie
Wyndham
Yaniv
Zahn
Zelazny

You don't get a cookie for guessing what the connection is between the names :lol: Todd and David taught me well, there is of course a theme ;)

Again, open to ideas - at some point we are going to have to discuss registration numbers (NCC-XXXX ??? - Don't want to get into the problematic territory I created when I numbered the Odysseus's :roll: )

20 Mar 2015 12:47
Site Admin
Site Admin

SAWYER!

For Robert Sawyer!

And, you know...

Sturgeon
Gerrold
Ellison

etc

:D

Finally, do you mean Clark or Clarke?

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

20 Mar 2015 13:43
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
SAWYER!

For Robert Sawyer!

And, you know...

Sturgeon
Gerrold
Ellison

etc

:D

Finally, do you mean Clark or Clarke?

LOL, I did think about adding those names, but we can go ahead and add them can't we? Hope you noticed Blish, Heinlein, McIntyre and Merril...

Damnit, I did mean Clarke... as in the late Arthur C Clarke... *sigh* we'll blame that one on the dyslexia ;)

Ok, updated list:

Adams
Aguirre
Aldiss
Asimov
Ballard
Blackmen
Blish
Butler
Campbell
Clarke
Crichton
Dahl
Ellison
Fancher
Foster
Gaiman
Gerrold
Heinlein
Hume
Huxley
Iqbal
Jakes
Jones
Kiernan
Lewis
Martin
McIntyre
McCaffrey
Merril
Nikitin
Niven
Norton
Obruchev
Orwell
Panshin
Pratchett
Pullman
Quinn
Rasch
Rochon
Sagen
Sawyer
Sturgeon

Tanaka
Tapinas
Tiedemann
Utley
Vogt
Wells
Wylie
Wyndham
Yaniv
Zahn
Zelazny

Any ideas re the registration number prefix (17XX is out I guess, lol...)

PS: that saucer is a pain in the ass in 3D, but it's coming along, with some modifications to fit in with the TMP design ethos...

20 Mar 2015 14:29
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are opening a big can of worms by mentioning NCC numbers... ;)

Just by taking a cursory glance at Todd's work you'll notice his Akyazis over run not only my Horizons but TOS' Constellation. Fact is, he advocated reusing NCC numbers. I was in favor of NCC being a cruiser-only category, as in NC meaning navigational contact and C meaning cruiser. Other types would get different prefixes and use the same numbers so, it could be conceivable that the fleet would also have a frigate NCF-1701 and a destroyer NCD-1701, etc.

That obviously wasn't going to work. Franz Joseph's numbers were the bible and we went with it, with the caveat that Todd insisted the numbers could be reused. So FJ has the Cygnus group of scouts in the 620s and then Grissom comes in at what... 638? So this kind of ship is supposed to fall in that range. Amerinds run as high as 683 I think. The Kiaga PAs start at 820. So a ship like this - in SotSF parlance a corsair or clipper derived "superscout", would probably be numbered 684 and up? Todd then had Cahuya at 745 and Caracal at 750. But as he said, the numbers can be reused. :P

20 Mar 2015 16:15
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

So basically, as long as I stick with a three digit number range we're in business? Cool. Sorry to bug further, but what about the following range:

NCC-9XX

Or has it been tagged for other uses?

20 Mar 2015 19:13
Site Admin
Site Admin

It looks like the 900s are clear, yes.

20 Mar 2015 19:46
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
It looks like the 900s are clear, yes.
Woohoo! So let's tag this sucka for the 900 range :)

Good grief, that was... well, that was too easy, lol.

Ok, the first renders after half an hour of work (more over the up coming weeks, but you know, Friday and being social and stuff). Shuttle and people are to scale. Yes, I know, it is not the right shuttle for the FRS, and the people are wearing the wrong uniform. When I get the chance I will address those issues. Until then having to make do with what I have to hand ;)

Image Image Image

Soz about the crappy links. Will have to give that some thought.

20 Mar 2015 20:10
Reply to topic   [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next