View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Jul 2017 04:48

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Changes 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi guys (and whatever girls are out there)-

I know that I have talked about it and threatened it and even tried it once or twice, but this time I think it's really gonna happen. And I want you to get ready for it.

The reasons are complicated and personal and really haven't changed. It is just that I have forced myself to see them and come to grips with what they mean about other parts of my life.

I realize that in great measure, doing this website and the art and writing here was a distraction for me. It started as a distraction and I justified it as something I could share from my childhood with my 5 year old boy. But before long he grew out of it and for me it just stayed on as perhaps a way of "clinging on" to that part of my, and our lives. He is grown up now and it really is time for me to move on. If I stick with this much longer this is all there will be and for me that won't be enough to fill my days. I have to find something more.

So fellas, it's time to mosey along.

I have offered the site to Todd and if he chooses to take it over he can either maintain it as is or change the name to something a little more "Mastercom". It will be up to him. But if he doesn't want to- and I think he probably won't- this place will go offline on or before July 15. No ifs ands or buts about it this time. I'm outta here.

It's been a good run. We've had fun. But now its time to ride on into the sun.

Adios, muchachos. :D

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

02 Jul 2013 21:03
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

I’ve been trying all morning to come up with something coherent and appropriate. But I’ll post anyway.

My first reaction is obviously sadness. This has been a favorite internet haunt for some time now. It’s really been like a real life group of friends here. Some of you I get excited about every post. Others bug the snot out of me. But I can usually figure out who is going to chime in on what (although not always how) just like a real group of friends. (No I won’t say who is who. I’m thoughtless, not stupid.)

My second reaction is understanding. I know that something like this takes a lot of effort just to run, let alone to contribute to. I can certainly identify with wanting to redirect those energies elsewhere. Especially if it's something more rewarding.

If Todd (Calon) wants to pick FRS up and run it that would be terrific. A Mastercom version would be interesting to say the least.

The whole FRS renaissance was badly timed for me. I had just started to develop the skills to want to really contribute more while at the same time my family life made time much more of a premium for me. Maybe I’ll get to do more on the third go-round. :)

I hope to see the usual suspects running around other places on the interwebs. I’ll be at sci-fi meshes and TrekBBS, I’m sure. And I can always be pinged at wpTAKETHISPARTOUTYOUFILTHYSPAMMERSthomas@oddpost.com.

Oh great. My iPod just started playing Amazing Grace from that movie that aridas doesn’t like much. How appropriate.

03 Jul 2013 12:41

I know what you mean Bill. Ditto my thoughts. Read this late last night and have been in a funk ever since. (And I don’t mean the George Clinton variety.)

My best regards aridas, and I’ll hope to remain in touch via other channels.

When a board like this closes, it’s a little like your place of employment closing and all your friends/co-workers going separate ways.

I’m going to try and see what the cost and maintenance of operating a board like this is, and maybe start my own under the Federation Frontiers banner. If not, I hope we can all end up somewhere else and continue.

Will have to talk more about that soon.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

03 Jul 2013 13:13
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I am really going to have to think upon this one.

03 Jul 2013 16:15
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Okay my thoughts:

Drop Star Trek for six months to a year. Go away from it, Don't think upon it, don't do sci fi even. Go do something else something completely different. Let Todd hold the reins for that time period, don't check in with us.

Go play with your family - they are, and always have been, far more important than this.

Start reading mystery stories or something.

But above all else, read the Holy Bible!

Do your job, drive to work, Hug your wife, and be thankful for her. But don't do Star Trek. Then in a year or two come back to us. Part time.

You should have spent no more than an hour a day moderating on this forum any way.

Oh, is ther any way I can down load this forum???

04 Jul 2013 08:29
Commander
Commander

Entropy's a bitch, ain't it? Been a fun ride here, but there's always an end.

Aridas, you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope Todd takes up the mantle, but based on what I've read over the years, don't believe it likely.

Thanks for the hopsitality while it lasted, and good luck to you in whatever you pursue next, Sir.

05 Jul 2013 11:48
Commander
Commander

What I always valued was the great line art here--ties to the classic blueprint era. This site was special to me in a way the bbs just isn't. That feels too big.

This feels like...home.

05 Jul 2013 17:15

publiusr wrote:
What I always valued was the great line art here--ties to the classic blueprint era. This site was special to me in a way the bbs just isn't. That feels too big.

This feels like...home.

LIKE!

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

05 Jul 2013 18:22
Commander
Commander

publiusr wrote:

This feels like...home.

Nice Said Publiusr I can think of no better way to say it. :D Aridas you will be missed but I do understand. Thank you for hosting this Forum has been a great place to hang out. :)

05 Jul 2013 21:19

Greets, all...

Mostly, I can only echo what's already been said. For all that limited time has kept me from posting as much as I'd prefer, I check in on this site almost every weekday, just to see what's happening. It'll be a definite loss if/when this forum goes away. And, like the others, I'll say thanks to you, aridas, for having maintained it for all this time. It's been neat to see the ideas still flowing from fans of old school Treknology. :)

I also hope there'll be someplace that those discussions can continue, whether Todd carries the torch, or whether it goes elsewhere.

(Out of curiosity, how many folks here are also on Facebook? Perhaps that'd be a good place to host a group?)

In any event, aridas, I hope that you find what you are seeking, and that we all may find a place to reconvene and have fun again, sometime in the future. :)

Best to all...

Alex

10 Jul 2013 02:04
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next