View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:56

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Who's your favorite SF or Fantasy Author? 

It was one of his first novels and introduced Priscilla Hutchins.

Not to sound corny but it wouldn't make a bad S.S. Valiant era story. Some elements there similar to the Thrint that Adidas has mentioned.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

20 Apr 2013 11:51

Forgot to mention, Ancient Shores was pretty good too.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

21 Apr 2013 00:04
Commander
Commander

Location: Just north of where the aliens always seem to land.
Ahkyahnan wrote:
I don't get many chances to read novels anymore, but I used to read some of Jack McDevitt's work. Not sure how respected he is overall, but I liked The Engines Of God.

Mark

I've read his "Moonfall" and "Eternity Road." The latter suffers from the knowledge of just how quickly our artifacts would decay if our civilization were to disappear (spent too much time watching "Life After People", I guess).

I've always had a soft spot for David and Leigh Eddings when it comes to fantasy (except for their last quadralogy; avoid it like the plague).

22 Apr 2013 17:44

Oh man, I loved Eternity Road. Forgot that one. Thanks.

You know I'm not sure how much stock I put in that Life After People series. I only watched a few eps, but I recall the first showing buildings collapse within a few years, and then they went live to Chernobyl and everything's still standing. And you look at what ancient structures & artifacts have survived through. Course then again they don't build em like they used to.

Mark

22 Apr 2013 18:17
Commander
Commander

As the series progressed, it did diminish in quality, yes. The original two-hour special was the best. Better still is to go find a copy of "The World Without Us," which started the whole thing off in the first place.

22 Apr 2013 18:22
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Come back in 100,000 years and see what is left....

22 Apr 2013 19:32
Commodore
Commodore

episode 13:

"When Twinkies Ruled the Earth..."

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

22 Apr 2013 21:14

John N. Ritter wrote:
Come back in 100,000 years and see what is left....

:lol: That's good.

Eternity Road left a clue and I calculated the number of years it had been, but can't recall the number now.

Mark

22 Apr 2013 23:25
Commander
Commander

If I recall (been a while since I read it), the collapse happened sometime around the 2070s, and from the distance Niagara Falls retreated from the present position (the erosion rate for the Falls is roughly 3 feet per year, if not checked), the book takes place at least a thousand years later.

23 Apr 2013 16:42

That's what I remember too.

Mark

23 Apr 2013 18:57
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next