View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 20 Aug 2017 19:12

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
The DEFINITIVE CD collection 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Just got a notification from LaLaLand Records about my order. It was somewhat confusing, saying that it was processed, and would ship in a few days. Not sure what that means. Maybe that they put the set in a box, but had not taken it to the post office?

10 Dec 2012 07:05
Captain
Captain

zirconic wrote:
Just got a notification from LaLaLand Records about my order. It was somewhat confusing, saying that it was processed, and would ship in a few days. Not sure what that means. Maybe that they put the set in a box, but had not taken it to the post office?

They're stupid busy over there. I gather they sold 1000 sets in fifteen minutes.

Funny thing is I never got a shipping notice. Just a lovely box of CDs! I'm up to season 2, disc 3, Who Mourns for Adonais. It's wonderful.

10 Dec 2012 08:21
Captain
Captain

Hi! Sorry, I haven’t posted but I’ve been busy listening to SEVENTEEN HOURS OF STAR TREK MUSIC!

636 TRACKS! 17 HOURS, 18 MINUTES, 8 SECONDS!

“It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

I can hardly figure out where to start. One of the reasons I made myself listen to the entire thing in order is because otherwise I’d miss stuff. Or get lost.

General: The packaging is terrific. It’s a really handsome thing sitting on my desk.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1111047855 ... directlink

Each season gets its own jewel case holding five CDs and that season’s booklet. Then there’s a “series” booklet that covers the show, interviews, and a bio of every composer. Jeff Bond is the Shaw of writing about Star Trek music and he doesn’t disappoint. My only complaint is that I’ve gotten used to his track by track analysis on the film scores. Here he does more of an episode overview. I wish he’d do a new book.

The art design is lovely. All three season booklets contain season specific images of the Enterprise. They compromised on the series booklet and used a Remastered shot, but they did include the Remastered main titles so that’s appropriate. For the soundtrack nerds they included a shot of Basil Poledouris as an extra in Obsession. There’s a great shot of just Elaan's feet on the transporter pad (the rest of the pan up is just kind of implied). They did a nice mix of "off season" images for the library cues.

The discs are organized by composer where possible. So disc 2 of season 1 is all Courage, disc 2 is all Steiner. Other discs are mixed (can't do an entire Sol Kaplan disc, alas). They didn’t really have a “one size fits all” approach so the format varies a little season to season. Disc 3 of Season 2 is not only all Steiner (Who Mourns for Adonais?, Mirror, Mirror, By Any Other Name, and The Omega Glory) but it’s all of his library music recorded for season 2.

Speaking of which, the library music is a real treasure. This falls into three categories. The music that they re-recorded in the same season to make a cue more usable: They’d record it with a big ending, again with a fade, again with a sustain. Then there’s the music they’d re-record in later seasons from previous seasons (union rules). Charlie X was recorded in every single season. Finally there is the totally episode-less cues they’d record. This is the only kind of music Courage recorded for season 2. That really action-driven version of the main title that plays when they run to Sulu in Shore Leave? Library by Joseph “Conscience of the King” Mullendore!

I was occasionally surprised when a track I assumed was library was actually recorded for the episode. Like when Courage uses Vina’s theme in Where No Man Has Gone Before when Gary and Elizabeth are talking in sick bay. Or some of the Charlie X themes that are used in Mudd’s Women.

There is EVERY recording of the titles EVER on this set! There’s the electric violin version, the cello version, the season 2 with vocals, the season 3 with vocals, one in enhanced stereo, one in actual stereo, AND the three versions they re-recorded in 2006 for Remastered! And some outtakes! It’s crazy!

Then there are they episodes themselves. The only time this music sounded better was when they played it! The way I describe it is you can really hear the “edges”. If a violin or a flute has a kind a ragged tone to it you can really hear it. Obviously I noticed this the most on music that had been on other releases. The Cage in particular. Some really surprising depth there.

The only thing that doesn't sound perfect is The Doomsday Machine. I'm not the music producer in the family but the rest of the music sounds so much cleaner than previous recordings, even to me. I thought “Surely I'm not hearing this right?” But I heard an interview with Jeff Bond and sure enough, they talk about some distortion in DM. Bob Justman told them that they boosted the volume in DM to make it really, really powerful. So the slight distortion is just inherent in the tapes. It doesn't sound terrible. It doesn't even sound bad. It still sounds better than the GNP disc (and it’s complete). It's just not the same "Oh wow I'm sitting next to Fred Steiner" feel that the rest of the music has.

I really love where Courage brings the "sonar pings" back into the fight with Gary at the end of Where No Man Has Gone Before. (I think it's when Kirk is going to smash his head with the rock and hesitates.) It's great to hear it here. Where No Man Has Gone Before sounds perfect. I mean everything does, but for some reason the sparse loneliness of WNMHGB really shimmers on this CD.

Where No Man Has Gone Before is a spare, lonely score. Certainly when compared to The Cage. But then Courage gets to The Man Trap and he makes WNMHGB seem warm and cuddly! Gosh that score is BARREN. When it's done you want to go find people to TALK to! I’m listening to it more on my second go round. It’s growing on me. It’s definitely more in the Forbidden Planet realm.

The Enemy Within is all that AND a bag of chips! It's heroic, it's tragic, it's angry, it's a little dog with a horn. It's so so so good.

I'll be listening to Goodnight, Sweetheart from City on the Edge of Forever a LOT. It's GORGEOUS. City on the Edge of Forever is the Star Trek score I never knew I needed to have.

I listened to the Uhura vocals once. That's enough. (I haven't heard any of her other recordings, but I'm going to guess that this is not her at her best.) Some people are very glad to have Nichelle’s vocals and I am happy for them. On the flip side I’ve actually enjoyed the Way To Eden vocals. Those are amazingly listenable. Napier had a terrific voice! Nimoy is somewhere in the middle.

Another real standout for me is Who Mourns for Adonais. I know for some this is their favorite score. Now I see why.

I'm not a huge fan of Shore Leave (although I'm becoming a Gerald Fried fan for sure). But there is one track 2nd Ruth (Ruth) that I was listening along and suddenly WHERE DID THAT COME FROM? Wow!

Yep, loved Star Spangled Enterprise. It's Star Trek and the Star Spangled Banner. How can I not adore this?

I’ve heard a lot of people praising the third season scores. I may need to give them some more tries. They didn't jump out and grab me at first. My favorite so far is The Enterprise Incident. And maybe Paradise Syndrome (there’s a lot more to it than the Label X re-recording had me believe). Three Duning scores in a row is a lot to take! It’s so… SWEET and LONGING! But Metamorphosis in season two is definitely a favorite.

Anyway, I’m now in the process of cleaning up some track titles to make them easier to read on my iPod and organizing them into playlists by episode. I’m putting all of an episode’s library cues in one place so for example I have a Charlie X playlist that has all the original tacks and every re-recording of them. It's not just great music, you can ORGANIZE it! Nerd's delight!

It’s been a real joy to listen to this all the way through. I got tired of Star Trek music for a few hours yesterday (Joe vs. The Volcano is a score I HIGHLY recommend, BTW) but now I’m back to it. Like Jeff Bond says in his liner notes: This is the music set I’ve wanted since I was ten.

(Now to start making cue sheets for the tracked episodes. Because we all know I’m exactly that kind of crazy.)

13 Dec 2012 11:58
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

My copy shipped on December 11 AND I'M STILL WAITING! UGGGGHHHH!!!

Okay. I'm calm now. I really am.

Thanks for the detailed review. My suggestion is that you post that to a high traffic site as well. Dunno if the set is also available via Amazon, but that would be one place to post a review. Also pick some of the bigger Trek boards.

13 Dec 2012 12:27
Captain
Captain

zirconic wrote:
My copy shipped on December 11 AND I'M STILL WAITING! UGGGGHHHH!!!

Okay. I'm calm now. I really am.

Thanks for the detailed review. My suggestion is that you post that to a high traffic site as well. Dunno if the set is also available via Amazon, but that would be one place to post a review. Also pick some of the bigger Trek boards.

You're welcome. It's been a running conversation over on TrekBBS and Film Score Monthly.

December 11th, eh? I'd say you should be getting it today or tomorrow. You'll have a terrific weekend.

BTW, do NOT drop the jewel cases on tile! They are not gravity friendly! Five CD's and a booklet give them some heft. Fortunately La-La Land Records is a class act and they're sending me a replacement. It looks so sad without season 2. (Discs are in fine shape.)

13 Dec 2012 12:37
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hell of a review, Bill. I forwarded it to my son since he has expressed interest in scoring as a possible alternate music career, and your comments are truly insightful as to how the composer must echo even hidden and nuanced feelings evoked by a work. Particularly about "The Man Trap". I must admit that I have been a bit on the fence over this purchase, but am veering towards it after reading your comments. Great job.

Mr. Spock is dead. Live long, Mr. Spock.

13 Dec 2012 14:40
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
Hell of a review, Bill. I forwarded it to my son since he has expressed interest in scoring as a possible alternate music career, and your comments are truly insightful as to how the composer must echo even hidden and nuanced feelings evoked by a work. Particularly about "The Man Trap". I must admit that I have been a bit on the fence over this purchase, but am veering towards it after reading your comments. Great job.

Tell your son to read Bear McCreary's blog.

13 Dec 2012 14:46
Captain
Captain

aridas wrote:

Thanks. Tell Doomsday Machine I said "Hi".

I thought I might have buyer's remorse over this. So far none in sight. Although I am listening to Barry's The Black Hole and Vangelis' Blade Runner this morning to cleanse the palate a bit, so to speak.

14 Dec 2012 10:55
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Got mine today. Am listening to disk 2 from season one (I was going to start with The Cage, but I've listened to that a lot recently, and even though what I listened to was a lousy recording, I'm a bit tired of it).

Am enjoying it so far.

14 Dec 2012 21:02
Captain
Captain

For those that don't know and are interested, La La Land has posted Season 2, Disc 1 on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, and Spotify.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SJ8M1NO/

This is Gerald Fried's Catspaw and Friday's Child. I'm not a huge fan of Catspaw. It has some moments. It does introduce Fried's Kirk theme. But Friday's Child is one of those "This IS the music of Star Trek" kind of scores. And it uses a lot of the same themes as Catspaw.

I gather that LLL will not be able to post anything that GNP Crescendo previously published. Sadly this means the complete (and astoundingly wonderful) scores to The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before won't be available. That also includes Doomsday Machine, Amok Time, Shore Leave, and The Naked Time. But I'm sure someone will work something out.

31 Jan 2015 00:06
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next