View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Jul 2017 04:40

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Welcome! Begin Your Adventure Here 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good to see you! Yes, I reopened the FRS. But I focused the bulk of the site to discussion of the Ships of the Starfleet/ FRS "universe" - the works Todd and I did plus works that endeavor - successfully or not so successfully - to build upon them. Since your work has always endeavored to the former, welcome back!

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

19 Mar 2015 12:49
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

What would you say to a rationalised Oberth Class? That sucker has been bugging me since 1984... time I did something about it.

19 Mar 2015 14:48
Site Admin
Site Admin

You mean the Khomarov-class?

That't how it was referred to in Ships of the Star Fleet before the name Oberth was bestowed upon it. We did work on that class, which I continued here , doing a TOS-era predecessor design. There is a thread about it somewhere around here. The working rationale always has been, at least in these parts, that the underslung part of that ship is a third warp unit- an uber-nacelle. A kind of turbocharger reflective of the ACE technology we mentioned in the books and blueprints.

I of course would be interested in your take on it.

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

19 Mar 2015 15:18
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

;) I do indeed mean the Khomarov Class.

I remember the thread and the discussion about the pod (the fact that it may also be interchangeable as well). I was thinking of doing something akin to what I did with the Excelsior - that is to say, building a new class that rationalises the design. Of course with the Ingram I was fortunate because Todd had done such a fantastic design to begin with! (I'm not being a creep here, the Ingram really is a fantastic design). My only real beef with the Ingram is that I spent over a decade building the mesh and the subsequent eight different variants of it (one of which is now being used as the hero ship in a web series set during the movie era) - but a lot of that can be put down to the fact that a: I was new to using 3D apps at the time, and b: as we all know, my health is somewhat wonky. but getting back to the important point, I know a lot more about 3D modelling than I used to, and can do things a lot quicker than I used to (when I have to mind to do it).

ANYway before I lose the plot, and interest from anyone reading this, yes I've been thinking about the Khomarov/Oberth for some time. It's never sat right with me. Having looked through some of the old comics I have, I stumbled on this:

Spock's command during the period between Star Trek III and Star Trek IV in the comic universe (for those interested, the writers had no idea what was planned - they sorted out the whole Kirk breaking the law thing, the bulk of the crew ended up on the Excelsior and Spock got his own ship). This is supposed to be a Khomarov/Oberth Class - but the artist hadn't seen a picture of it at the time, it was described to them and this is what the generated. Later editions showed the class "accurately." But this... this has potential. I can see how this would work... The idea is calling to me to see what I can do with it, and it seems to me that it would be a more rational take on the idea. I am of course open to thoughts on this. In fact, I'll start a proper thread.

So... What do you think, is the above pic a decent enough jumping off point?

20 Mar 2015 05:09
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh absolutely. Are those nacelles attached to the saucer like on Grissom? If not, it's a light cruiser. If so, it is a scout like Khomarov with interchangeable pods down below. (Though to be fair, I think cruisers can swap out their secondary hulls for specialized equipment as well.) I say go for it! Have fun! And stay well!

20 Mar 2015 10:51
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

aridas wrote:
Oh absolutely. Are those nacelles attached to the saucer like on Grissom? If not, it's a light cruiser. If so, it is a scout like Khomarov with interchangeable pods down below. (Though to be fair, I think cruisers can swap out their secondary hulls for specialized equipment as well.) I say go for it! Have fun! And stay well!

Thread created and started: http://federationreference.prophpbb.com/topic1489.html

20 Mar 2015 10:59
Ensign
Ensign

Hi, all! New here, been on TrekBBS for years. Thanks, Aridas, for letting me join.

16 May 2015 03:32
Captain
Captain

Darkwing wrote:
Hi, all! New here, been on TrekBBS for years. Thanks, Aridas, for letting me join.

Welcome, Mr. Duck!

17 May 2015 11:07
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you for joining, Darkwing!

17 May 2015 23:49
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

Welcome Darkwing :)

18 May 2015 07:45
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next