View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 23 Jul 2017 10:54

Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
TAS Cargo Drone Plans 

In the "Focus 1701" thread today I mentioned working on some things that might eventually provide a start towards drawing my own version of the TOS-E. This is one of them, the cargo drone from TAS.

Right now it pretty closely matches the images seen in TAS, though I'm trying to draw the details in a way that makes it look a little less 'cartoonish'. Especially around the nacelles and sensor dish, which were originally done after studying the Sinclair/Casimiro plans and a few other sources. It has a ways to go, but I also have the other views done to the extent seen in TAS. I want to detail them all out further though, eventually to the level of detail seen in close-ups of the 11 Footer and so on.

Anyway, this is a start, and I wanted to throw it out there for scrutiny and to see what everyone thinks so far. Let me know.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

29 May 2012 23:17
Commander
Commander

Nice work so far... I always liked this little ship.

30 May 2012 00:08
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I too have always liked this design. Nice detailing and line work Ahkyahnan, very pleasing. :)

-LS

30 May 2012 10:49
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Fantastic work. :D I am looking foreward to more, big fan of TAS.

30 May 2012 10:58
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Very well done.

A question if I may... The Antares of ST-Remastered was based off this. how are you going to expain the different postions of the main sensor? My answer: Have it as a modual that can be pulled out, and replaced, with a docking for a crew's primary hull, or other modual.

And about the primary hull its self. I did some computations a while back in an off hand way. My line of thought was thus: We know that deck six of the primary hull of a Consitution class star ship was intended to hold 387 persons(FJ showed us how). And we know that the S. S. Beagle had 47 persons... Roughly one tenth the total crew of the Enterprise... The primary hull design, roughly corrasponds to the size needed by the Beagle....

30 May 2012 11:31
Captain
Captain

Excellent. This has always been a fave. I think this was the second Federation design we ever saw, wasn't it? Always wanted to build one.

30 May 2012 11:56
Commodore
Commodore

really nice... : )

though it does make me more curious about the nature of civilian shipping and shipbuilding in the Federation... ; )

All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force...
We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent Mind.
This Mind is the matrix of all matter.
Max Planck

30 May 2012 12:55

John N. Ritter wrote:
A question if I may... The Antares of ST-Remastered was based off this. how are you going to expain the different postions of the main sensor? My answer: Have it as a modual that can be pulled out, and replaced, with a docking for a crew's primary hull, or other module.

Based on things other artists have come up with, and some of my own ideas, I think this general design is inherently modular to begin with, so yes your idea is possible. Also, the TOS-R version and the TAS original...if taken literally...don't actually match up exactly anywhere on the ship as near as I can tell anyway, so variations between the two are workable. It's a little like the 11 footer and the FJ plans...all the same components in roughly all the same places, but no two that match up exactly. So in the same way that FJ's design became the "Achernar" class, I would assume the TOS-R variant would be a different, though very similar, class from the TAS variant.

Interesting idea regarding the "Beagle". Will have to think on that further.

Mark

Northern lights passed by then they were gone. And as old stars would die so the new ones were born. Ever on I sailed celestial ways. And in the light of my years shone the rest of my days. Those who know, will they help us grow, to one day be Starriders.

30 May 2012 15:31

Thanks for the positive comments everyone! Seriously though, if anything looks off, even minor curvatures or something seemingly insignificant, please let me know. As I mentioned, some of this may lay the groundwork for doing my own 1701, so I want to start off right. For example, the warp nacelle above may grow and be modified later on to become a 1701 nacelle, so if I'm handling some of the common components incorrectly I'll want to learn from it and fix.

Thanks again.

Mark

30 May 2012 15:32
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have any of you ever seen a CGI model of the TAS Enterprise? If you take the shape literally it is, of course, as different from the 11 foot model as is FJ's ship. That was why I made the leap that it AND FJ's were the Achernar class. I was acknowledging that both varied a lot from what we saw in TOS, but ignoring how different TAS was from FJ. But hey... it might be even more fun to explore the TAS E than as it is to explore the drone. :D

"...here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." -Thomas Jefferson, 1820

30 May 2012 18:38
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next